+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I buy insurance until I get OHIP?

rajatkhare

Dec 2, 2018
I recently arrived in Toronto as a PR. I'll apply for OHIP but that will take some time. I was feeling a bit light headed today so I thought of getting insurance before it gets worse. Is it a good idea to get insurance until then? Which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I recently arrived in Toronto as a PR. I'll apply for OHIP but that will take some time. I was feeling a bit light headed today so I thought of getting insurance before it gets worse. Is it a good idea to get insurance until then? Which one would you recommend?
Would stick to a large Canadian insurance company. Many make you buy travel mefical insurance before leaving your home country but would research each policy. Assume you may be tired, have heat stroke or be dehydrated. Make sure to drink enough and don’t stay outside for very long.

Reactions: rajatkhare

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I ended up getting OHIP with my rental agreement as there is no waiting period now.
As long as you are planning on being in Canada for the next 5 out of 6 months, the next 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home no issues with getting and using OHIP. Would make sure you keep hydrated, eat at regular intervals, get enough sleep and stay out of the sun and that will address many of the reasons people feel lightheaded at this time of year.

Reactions: rajatkhare

rajatkhare

Dec 2, 2018
As long as you are planning on being in Canada for the next 5 out of 6 months, the next 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home no issues with getting and using OHIP. Would make sure you keep hydrated, eat at regular intervals, get enough sleep and stay out of the sun and that will address many of the reasons people feel lightheaded at this time of year.
Thanks for the advice. I went to a clinic and the doctor said it's Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). They gave me medication.