+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I bring my spouse to the US or Canada?

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I have both H1B as well as Canadian PR.

I am not married yet. My fiancé is in India. Is it better to bring her to the US or Canada?
She wants to spend time together and which ever is the fastest option that is the option I would like to pursue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I am not married yet. My fiancé is in India. Is it better to bring her to the US or Canada?
She wants to spend time together and which ever is the fastest option that is the option I would like to pursue.
Unless your spouse has a TRV to enter Canada you will always need to sponsor her if you come to Canada even if she comes to the US first. Really depends on your longterm plans.

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

First, it depends on your residence location.
Seems that you should be inside Canada to sponsor. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html
So even if you bring her on H4 then you cant sponsor. Later time will fly and you might end up losing PR with the hesitation of when to move to Canada. So its better you move to Canada(if not are not yet) and sponsor her. I assume that you dont have older priority date hence i dont see a good option.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I should have been more clear.

I am currently inside Canada. My fiance is in India and does not have any visa.

My long term plans are to get Canadian Citizenship while on H1B and then relocate to the US. I am currently staying at a border city and was traveling up and down the border for work prepandemic. Right now I am working from home from Canada.

To bring a spouse from India to Canada.. it looks like it will take a year???
On H1B to the US it seems to only take a few months.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My long term plans are to get Canadian Citizenship while on H1B and then relocate to the US. I am currently staying at a border city and was traveling up and down the border for work prepandemic. Right now I am working from home from Canada.

So go the US route then.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

I am not sure why are you not checking the eligibility on both routes first. You have to consider the rules on both sides before you can decide.

There is widespread delay in interview schedules among various US consulates hence not sure if its going to be months or more than that.

If you are in US then you cant sponsor PR but can process H4. You should be married first, before you can even think of H4.
if you stay in Canada then you cant sponsor H4 but can process PR. You should be either married or prove 12 months stay with the partner for sponsorship.

First get married. Apply for PR.
Applying H4 quickly will resolve bringing her to US(after you move to US) but "after then what" should be your question if you decide US route. Later you end up not able to sponsor PR and you would then later think of moving to Canada alone to sponsor all over again.
So go the US route then.
While staying in Canada, one cant get H4 approval.

Last edited:

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I am not sure why are you not checking the eligibility on both routes first. You have to consider the rules on both sides before you can decide.

There is widespread delay in interview schedules among various US consulates hence not sure if its going to be months or more than that.

If you are in US then you cant sponsor PR but can process H4. You should be married first, before you can even think of H4.
if you stay in Canada then you cant sponsor H4 but can process PR. You should be either married or prove 12 months stay with the partner for sponsorship.

First get married. Apply for PR.
Applying H4 quickly will resolve bringing her to US(after you move to US) but "after then what" should be your question if you decide US route. Later you end up not able to sponsor PR and you would then later think of moving to Canada alone to sponsor all over again.

While staying in Canada, one cant get H4 approval.
Curious, Any thoughts on applying for a Canadian visitor visa for spouse while the sponsor app is pending?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Curious, Any thoughts on applying for a Canadian visitor visa for spouse while the sponsor app is pending?
Possibility of rejection is higher since there is an intent to reside permanently with the pending PR application. Visitor visa is for residing temporarily.
So its a risk of complicating the profile for PR application. Being more hurry and desperate will lead to more delay/complication, nothing else.

Reactions: Samoinp