+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I be working?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
So how else will I restart my studies if i dont qualify for Covid public policy?
Since dropping out i never went to any school.
When exactly did you drop out in 2019? What month? How long did you study before that?

It's tricky, because you can apply to another institution for another program, or try to get readmitted into your previous program, and then use that paperwork to apply for restoration of status. Don't register for courses, just get an acceptance to the program.

Depending on how long you've been out of status, the probability of an approval of restoration can vary.

The fact you continued to work will work against you, but you just need to try to submit a good cover letter with your application outlining the mitigating circumstances such as the pandemic, or any difficulties you had with studying for your previous program.

Reactions: scylla

kokogo

Feb 17, 2021
You need to wait and see if the restoration application is approved. If so, then you can restart your studies. If not, you will need to leave Canada and try applying for a new study permit from outside of Canada.

Either way, stop working immediately. You're in a bad situation right now.
so there is hope that i may get approved despite not qualifying?
Yes, i will stop working
But i think my employer should have checked also because i gave all my documents

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so there is hope that i may get approved despite not qualifying?
Yes, i will stop working
But i think my employer should have checked also because i gave all my documents
We don't know the full details of your case. Always some chance you may be approved. However be prepared to leave Canada if you're refused.

Again, not your employers responsibility to check your papers or to tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing. 100% your responsibility. IRCC will hold you responsible.

kokogo

Feb 17, 2021
When exactly did you drop out in 2019? What month? How long did you study before that?

It's tricky, because you can apply to another institution for another program, or try to get readmitted into your previous program, and then use that paperwork to apply for restoration of status. Don't register for courses, just get an acceptance to the program.

Depending on how long you've been out of status, the probability of an approval of restoration can vary.

The fact you continued to work will work against you, but you just need to try to submit a good cover letter with your application outlining the mitigating circumstances such as the pandemic, or any difficulties you had with studying for your previous program.
Dropped out Jan.2019
Studied for 3months with bad marks, bad attendance. But my permit expired 2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dropped out Jan.2019
Studied for 3months with bad marks, bad attendance. But my permit expired 2020
In that case it's quite possible you don't qualify under the policy.

Schools are supposed to report international student attendance to IRCC. If you dropped out back in Jan 2019 and your school reported you, high chance IRCC canceled your study permit automatically since you were no longer attending school. So your study permit didn't necessarily expire this year - it may have been canceled by IRCC in 2019.

Even if you fall under the policy, you would need to have made a super super strong case for restoring your study permit given you hadn't attended at that point for close to two years. Hopefully you stopped working in Jan 2019 when you dropped out of school.

Anyway - I would recommend you prepare yourself for a refusal. Your profile looks pretty bad if I'm being perfectly honestly.

Reactions: Islander216

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, prepare yourself for the worst.

I don't think there is any realistic way for you to restore your status. Maybe consult an immigration professional and get their advice.

Don't count on your employer to intercede on your behalf, if you have no status in Canada they will just say they didn't know, and rescind your employment.

It's your responsibility to maintain a legal status.

Reactions: scylla

qr96

Dec 17, 2020
".....

HR and the company is not responsible. You should know the rules about your eligibility and status in Canada.
if im not mistaken,Recently i think I saw that (HC) Human Resources is to call a number, to verify SIN starting with 9. The company has to give their information, and the SIN holders info.
SO, Im assuming someone at this number would say if OP has implied status.
Also why then does company get in trouble and are fined for not following rules?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
if im not mistaken,Recently i think I saw that (HC) Human Resources is to call a number, to verify SIN starting with 9. The company has to give their information, and the SIN holders info.
SO, Im assuming someone at this number would say if OP has implied status.
Also why then does company get in trouble and are fined for not following rules?
OP clearly doesn't have implied status and already said his SIN is invalid.

The company could potentially get in trouble for not following the rules as it relates to hiring someone who isn't authorized to work.

However the company is not responsible for the mess the OP is in or the fact that he/she has worked illegally and violated the conditions of their stay in Canada. The OP is 100% responsible for their own actions and any immigration violations. IRCC will hold them 100% responsible for any immigration laws they have violated. It's up to the individual to understand the rules and follow them.