+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply with 438 score?

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have just finished my MBA and applied for PGWP. I was wondering if I should apply for Express Entry while I wait for PGWP and whether a score of 438 would be sufficient enough. There is a probability of cut off going down from 440 at the end of the year.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I have just finished my MBA and applied for PGWP. I was wondering if I should apply for Express Entry while I wait for PGWP and whether a score of 438 would be sufficient enough. There is a probability of cut off going down from 440 at the end of the year.
You should at least create a profile, you may never know if you may qualify for Provincial nomination

It will be though at 438 scores are persistently in the range of 440+... With Canadian Experience under your belt you will get some additional points by next year, which will help you incase you do not get through the PNP route

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Need more details to see if you should settle at 438 and aim for PNP...
Or on the contrary, increase CRS by different means. Languages are usually the fastest/safest way of increasing score.
-Do you have your IELTS and/or TEF scores yet?
-How many years of work experience do you have?
-Spouse or no Spouse?

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Need more details to see if you should settle at 438 and aim for PNP...
Or on the contrary, increase CRS by different means. Languages are usually the fastest/safest way of increasing score.
-Do you have your IELTS and/or TEF scores yet?
-How many years of work experience do you have?
-Spouse or no Spouse?
Spouse- Yes
I have my CELPIP scores. Reading-12, Listening- 11, Writing- 8, Speaking- 8
More than 6 years of work ex.

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
You should at least create a profile, you may never know if you may qualify for Provincial nomination

It will be though at 438 scores are persistently in the range of 440+... With Canadian Experience under your belt you will get some additional points by next year, which will help you incase you do not get through the PNP route

Thanks Bimal. I will create a profile.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Spouse- Yes
I have my CELPIP scores. Reading-12, Listening- 11, Writing- 8, Speaking- 8
More than 6 years of work ex.
Okay, from what I see, you are missing out on precious points that would lead you way above the estimated cut-off (441 approx.)
You have CLB8 in Writing and Speaking, and does not entitle you to approximately 30 additional points for "Skill Transferability" for excellent language proficiency, which you can only be obtained with CLB9 or more in all 4 sections. Of course, you get a bit more points in this part with CLB10 than CLB9.

Languages are more often than not underestimated when it comes to CRS calculation.
Take a look at the CRS calculator again, and see where you would stand with better writing and speaking.
Reading and Listening are great.

You have the ability to easily reach the 465-470 range, assuming your spouse has already good language results (20pts max.) and ECA done (10pts max.)

Just my 0.02$
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: psy347

sachinrace

Star Member
Dec 10, 2015
Okay, from what I see, you are missing out on precious points that would lead you way above the estimated cut-off (441 approx.)
You have CLB8 in Writing and Speaking, and does not entitle you to approximately 30 additional points for "Skill Transferability" for excellent language proficiency, which you can only be obtained with CLB9 or more in all 4 sections. Of course, you get a bit more points in this part with CLB10 than CLB9.

Languages are more often than not underestimated when it comes to CRS calculation.
Take a look at the CRS calculator again, and see where you would stand with better writing and speaking.
Reading and Listening are great.

You have the ability to easily reach the 465-470 range, assuming your spouse has already good language results (20pts max.) and ECA done (10pts max.)

Just my 0.02$
Cheers.
Thanks a lot, peacekeeper. Language is making a huge difference pointwise.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
You're welcome.
Huge difference indeed!
My advice would be to consider retaking your language test and score CLB9+ in all sections.
If you're already maxed out on the rest, this is your best option.

What point range do you reach on the calculator?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Adding to what Peacekeeper quoted above...
IELTS is much easier to score on compared to CELPIP... So you will have mcuh better chance to score even higher than CELPIP...

Last edited: