+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should i apply on my own or should go through lawyer.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
hi
I am confused.Most of my friends are filling for CEC through lawyer.But i cannot offord as he is charging around 2300$.I am planning to apply on my own.What you guys suggest me.Plz help me.

APPLY BY OWN OR GO THROUGH A LAWYER?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
ganapathi said:
hi
I am confused.Most of my friends are filling for CEC through lawyer.But i cannot offord as he is charging around 2300$.I am planning to apply on my own.What you guys suggest me.Plz help me.

CEC applications are straight forward and if you follow the instruction guide and the document checklist to complete
your application, you won't need a lawyer. This forum is also a good source of information and you can also
check my website for answers and help >> http://cectoolkit.weebly.com/

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
Read instructions many time.. fill it carefully and ask people here when u dont know..

Lawyers are a waste of money

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
maza said:
Read instructions many time.. fill it carefully and ask people here when u dont know..

Lawyers are a waste of money
\

I wouldn't go that far and say that it's a waste of money, but it's definitely not necessary for CEC applications.

steveholt

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
iam_toby said:
I wouldn't go that far and say that it's a waste of money, but it's definitely not necessary for CEC applications.
It depends on the immigration lawyer but from the ones I discussed CEC with before ultimately deciding to do it myself I would say that they are indeed a waste of money unless you somehow manage to find a good one (I didn't meet a good one). There are also plenty of stories in this forum of people who paid an immigration consultant who ultimately made or let through trivial mistakes that got their application rejected, so really you are paying anywhere up to $2000 per applicant and still have ultimate responsibility for ensuring the information is correct.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
steveholt said:
It depends on the immigration lawyer but from the ones I discussed CEC with before ultimately deciding to do it myself I would say that they are indeed a waste of money unless you somehow manage to find a good one (I didn't meet a good one). There are also plenty of stories in this forum of people who paid an immigration consultant who ultimately made or let through trivial mistakes that got their application rejected, so really you are paying anywhere up to $2000 per applicant and still have ultimate responsibility for ensuring the information is correct.
Absolutely! I agree, there's bad lawyers and consultants out there, no doubt about that.
However, you can't say that paying a lawyer is a waste of money, who know - maybe the OP finds a good one.
Or do you stop driving cars, just because a car broke down on you once - and you therefore don't buy a car anymore because
they're all crappy?? ???

safwangc

Jun 12, 2013
ganapathi said:
hi

Hi,

My personal opinion, do not hire a lawyer UNLESS you are not feeling confident about your NOC code matching your job description. Even then, a lawyer who's charging $2,300 doesn't seem like they have the experience to confidently advise you of your NOC code.

I hired a lawyer to help with my application ONLY because I was unsure about my NOC code. He did absolutely nothing to help as he himself was not confident about which one to choose. To me, if I'm hiring someone, being just marginally more confident than I am about my NOC code is not worth it. He charged me $2,200 (comparatively cheap, even though a lot of money) and I decided not to retain him at the end and submit myself. Waste of money.

I find that lawyers tend to delay a little, and communication with CIC will always go through them, which I wouldn't be comfortable with.

I submitted my application on my own in July 2013; I received RPRF request and Medicals last week.

Others may have a different opinion, but that's my recommendation. If you're unsure about your NOC code, ask people on this forum. Various spreadsheets have people's NOC codes listed. Chat with those people that match yours and ask for their opinions on your job duties.

Hope this helps.

steveholt

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
iam_toby said:
Absolutely! I agree, there's bad lawyers and consultants out there, no doubt about that.
However, you can't say that paying a lawyer is a waste of money, who know - maybe the OP finds a good one.
There's not just *some* bad lawyers and consultants out there, there's a lot - arguably even the vast majority of those that specifically targeting immigration.

iam_toby said:
Or do you stop driving cars, just because a car broke down on you once - and you therefore don't buy a car anymore because
they're all crappy?? ???
It's a bad analogy because a car provides a useful utility over say catching public transit which justifies the increased costs involved in buying and owning a car. Meanwhile immigration consultants, even good ones, provide limited value in the context of CEC where the requirements are at their core relatively straight forward, reviewable online, and pass fail. That said if I owned several cars in a row that had the same (expensive) problem and as a result provide me with little utility, then I'm probably going to be interested in making sure the next one doesn't and I'm going to tell everyone I know to perform the same due diligence. If I can't find a car that doesn't have that problem, then no, I wont buy a car any more and I wont recommend buying one to anyone else.

Amit Malik

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's upto you bud...you can definately apply in ur own, but I recommend go through a lawyer..

If you need more info..let me know..

I know an agency through which I applied..it's very reliable and their fees is very nominal...also they are located in Scarborough ....the lady is very nice and kind...she will guide you completely till the process is completed..

Thanks

data

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 19, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
18-02-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
You only need a lawyer when you want to sue CIC.

jackienb

Feb 17, 2014
i think you should apply on your own, you can ask everyone's suggestion here if you are having a hard time. good luck!

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
A lawyer can advise you on a range of matters, not just what your NOC is. Your immigration case might be particularly complicated and involve family members, admissibility issues, missing documentation, and so on. Or you simply might not be confident enough in your understanding of the process.

Ultimately, a lawyer cannot get your case processed faster, or get you preferential treatment.

lalithaditya215

Star Member
Nov 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2013
AOR Received.
Jan-07-2014
Med's Request
May-29-2014
Med's Done....
June-29-2014
Passport Req..
July-17-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep-02-20114
Try filling the forms till you get exhausted and you get irritated most. By that time if you application is not half way through then go to lawyer. It saves money & more than that you get EXPERIENCE.

steveholt

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
data said:
You only need a lawyer when you want to sue CIC.
I don't know about "sue" but I imagine it would be useful if you want to formally appeal a CIC decision, my earlier comments about trying to find a good one would still apply though. The only thing is with CEC it seems like the way it's set up there's very little wiggle room for a formal appeal to be practical/successful anyway.