+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for PRTD?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yes. If you're admitted to Canada by border officer at POE with your COPR or landing paper, you will be able to do all that as a PR. Even, you might be able to get a SIN. A PR card is basically to show your status when travelling outside Canada.
They need a valid PR cars to get a SIN number. A COPR is useless to obtain a SIN at this point in time.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
They need a valid PR cars to get a SIN number. A COPR is useless to obtain a SIN at this point in time.

My parents were planning on moving to Canada, and obtained PR cards for this. However, we did not end up actually going. I still have my PR Card, which was activated during a trip to Canada, and should still have my PR status (as this won't be automatically revoked). My card was activated when I was 8. I never returned to Canada since this trip back in 2006. I have always wanted to live in Canada, and was sad we did not end up actually going there.

Since I have never actually lived in Canada, I have not met the Residency Obligation. I am wondering whether I would have a shot at obtaining the PRTD using the H&C grounds, as I have been removed from Canada as a minor by my parents. I am 20 years old, soon to be 21. I know it would have been better if I had applied for the PRTD when I was 18, but I wanted to finish my BSc first. Would they be compassionate about this, and see this as a valid reason why I did not immediately apply when I was 18.

A PR card would give me the opportunity to pursue a Master degree in Canada, paying the domestic tuition fee instead of the significantly higher International Student fee.

Also, if I were to get the PRTD, would I have to use this immediately or within a certain time period. I.e. would I be able to wait another 6 months before actually using the PRTD? Then, if I would arrive in Canada with my PRTD card, would it be possible to immediately also get the PR card using the H&C grounds? It would be weird if they hand you a PRTD on those grounds, but not the PR card.

Thanks in advance.

Added: would the fact that I am fluent in English, intermediate in French (have certificates) and have a BSc any influence on their decision if I would be eligible for H&C grounds .[/QUOTE]

Did you know if your parent obtained a SIN number for you, when they got the first PR Card?

Reactions: 123dutch123

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Would the fact that I have family living in Canada (Aunt & cousins, some of whom are citizens) show a connection with Canada?
To be successful for PRTD, H&C or an appeal while outside Canada, there has to be compelling reasons as to why a person was not able to live in Canada and meet the residency requirement. Strong arguments would be: caring for an elderly parent, or an ill child/spouse/relative, having necessary commitments in your home country that required you to remain in your home country. There can be many reasons or arguments, but some may be stronger than others.
Credit: matkowsky.ca

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't think so, but I'll see again. If I would have the SIN number, the border crossing might be a viable option.
The border crossing is always a risk but without a SIN and a valid PR card if you don’t get reported you won’t be able to work, most likely get a health card and you may not be able to attend school. You would have to wait around for around 2.5 years waiting to become compliant with your RO. Whether it is PRTD under a H&C or a border crossing none are guaranteed. Policies at the borders can also change with time. PRTDs for young people under 21 used to always be approved but the volume went up and there was likely a change in policy because suddenly there was more refusals starting around a year ago. Some still get approved although it is unclear what differentiates those applications.