+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for CAQ or wait....

Nedian0607

Star Member
Jul 5, 2011
Hi Guys...
I have been accepted for Concordia Uni... But now I'm waiting for Alberta's decision that is more likely to come in May... My first priority is Alberta but I dont wanna loose concordia... So should I apply for CAQ now or wait for Alberta's decision (keeping in mind I plan to apply for visa in starting of June) ? Here I'm talking in respect of time frame.....
Secondly, what if i get CAQ and one copy is mailed to the embassy.. and I get acceptance from Alberta and apply visa for it... Would it create some kinda prob that I'm applying for Alberta whereas they've already received my CAQ ??

Thanks in advance...

tiger007

Champion Member
husnaclasic said:
What is CAQ?
Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) --Needed for studying in any educational institute in the French speaking province of Quebec.

Once you have received your letter of admission from a Québec educational institution, you need to obtain:
a CAQ, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec (Government of Québec)
a study permit, issued by the Government of Canada.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/obtaining-authorizations/index.html

tiger007

Champion Member
Nedian0607 said:
Hi Guys...
I have been accepted for Concordia Uni... But now I'm waiting for Alberta's decision that is more likely to come in May... My first priority is Alberta but I dont wanna loose concordia... So should I apply for CAQ now or wait for Alberta's decision (keeping in mind I plan to apply for visa in starting of June) ? Here I'm talking in respect of time frame.....
Secondly, what if i get CAQ and one copy is mailed to the embassy.. and I get acceptance from Alberta and apply visa for it... Would it create some kinda prob that I'm applying for Alberta whereas they've already received my CAQ ??

Thanks in advance...
Hi,

As per Quebec Govt. website,
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/obtaining-authorizations/certificat-acceptation/processing-times.html

Processing times

The Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC) has promised to process applications for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies within 20 business days, not including postal delivery time. Despite the high number of applications it receives, the Service aux étudiants étrangers of the MICC takes every possible step to respect this timeframe when processing complete files.

So, including all delays and postal delivery times, you can expect to get your CAQ (if you 've followed all rules and submitted all documents correctly) in maximum within a month's time. Hence, keeping this time-frame in mind, you can take an appropriate decision. I think, it will be best, if you apply for CAQ now or soon ( check and confirm, if it may restrict you from applying to other province later, if yes don't apply soon), receive it...and keep it aside along with Concordia university admission letter. In-case, by June if there's still no news form Univ. of Alberta, you can wait for some more time or straightaway apply for visa with Concordia Univ. admission letter and CAQ.

Best of Luck.

schizo2

Mar 22, 2011
Peshawar
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should apply for CAQ as it takes more than a month to get issued and delivered . so better safe than sorry.

Nedian0607

Star Member
Jul 5, 2011
*check and confirm, if it may restrict you from applying to other province later, if yes don't apply soon*

This is exactly what Im confused about.. who should i ask...cic doesnt have time to respond to proper applications on time, I dont think they would bother answering this...

tiger007

Champion Member
Nedian0607 said:
*check and confirm, if it may restrict you from applying to other province later, if yes don't apply soon*

This is exactly what Im confused about.. who should i ask...cic doesnt have time to respond to proper applications on time, I dont think they would bother answering this...
Hi,

Honestly, this was the first and only doubt, I had when I read your post...I wish I could reply it specifically, but since most of us here, apply for study permit in educational institutions outside Quebec i.e the rest of other English speaking provinces, so..I don't know for sure..if any one may be able to reply to this. Best thing for you is to call up most reputed Educational consultants/visa agents in your country, and confirm around... and put up this specific question (as they will be for sure knowing this as many students over the years might have similar query). Nor do we find any mention of any such similar case on the official websites, all over the web... May be some other expert might be able to help you clear this query...My best guess is..that as long as you just apply for CAQ, receive and keep it with yourself... and till you don't apply for visa... it shouldn't be a problem.... because logically, as long as you don't apply for visa..the federal Govt. most probably wouldn't be keeping record of all students getting CAQ from the Quebec province... the record only will be only with the Quebec provincial govt...

Sorry, I wish I could help you out specifically.

Best of Luck.

Nedian0607

Star Member
Jul 5, 2011
yea but what I've already read on this forum itself is that one copy of CAQ is posted to the embassy ... So one doesnt have to wait for the hard copy of CAQ to apply for study permit... it is directly sent by quebec....

Anyhow.. u still tried helping me with the best of your knowledge :) Thanks :)

doctor_acdc

Mar 16, 2012
I advice that you apply for CAQ once you have finalized your admissions. As this might have a negative influence on your visa if your CAQ has reached the Visa Office and then you file an application for Alberta. CAQ normally is issued within a span of 20 days officially. I have heard from different people some got in 1 day after confirmation from MICC of their documents for some it took 19,20 and 26 days. So all in all this is the time span.

As for International Students the requirements are pretty much the same. They give you a checklist after you file in your online application and you fill a declaration form, attach your photograph, passport copy and acceptance letter.

I hope this answers your question.