+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for a new PR Card?

anshul_prusty

Apr 18, 2017
Dear Members,

I would love to receive your advice. Here is my situation:

My step father sponsored me and my Mom and we became PR in 2011 (I was 21 years old as a dependent child). We stayed in Canada for 4 months but then my Mom was diagnosed with an incurable disease called ALS. She wanted to go back to our home country to spend her last a few years there. I also went back with her to be with her as long as I can.

My PR Card expired in June 2016 and I filed an application for a PRTD indicating my Mom's disease. I provided the embassy with the diagnosis and the tests and they granted me a PRTD in April 2017, I came to Canada to apply for a PR Card, I received it and went back to my Mom. After fighting the disease for years, she unfortunately passed away in April 2019. I dealt with all the legacy issues etc and also took several tests to make sure that I don't have the potential to have the same disease as well. Fortunately, it is considered non-genetically transferred and I am safe for now. After all, I came to Canada in July 2022 to study and I am now a full-time masters student at the University of Montreal.

My PR Card will expire in January 2023 and I would like to apply for a new one. It is true that I do not meet the residency requirement but I did qualify to get a PRTD under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. I had to stay in my home country to take the tests from my Mom's doctors to make sure that I do not have the same early symptoms indicating the potential for the disease. I will live in Canada from now on, I am now studying and will start working upon graduation. Is it ok to apply for a renewal? What do you think?

I would be so happy to receive your advice.

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Members,

My step father sponsored me and my Mom and we became PR in 2011 (I was 21 years old as a dependent child). We stayed in Canada for 4 months but then my Mom was diagnosed with an incurable disease called ALS. She wanted to go back to our home country to spend her last a few years there. I also went back with her to be with her as long as I can.

My PR Card expired in June 2016 and I filed an application for a PRTD indicating my Mom's disease. I provided the embassy with the diagnosis and the tests and they granted me a PRTD in April 2017, I came to Canada to apply for a PR Card, I received it and went back to my Mom. After fighting the disease for years, she unfortunately passed away in April 2019. I dealt with all the legacy issues etc and also took several tests to make sure that I don't have the potential to have the same disease as well. Fortunately, it is considered non-genetically transferred and I am safe for now. After all, I came to Canada in July 2022 to study and I am now a full-time masters student at the University of Montreal.

My PR Card will expire in January 2023 and I would like to apply for a new one. It is true that I do not meet the residency requirement but I did qualify to get a PRTD under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. I had to stay in my home country to take the tests from my Mom's doctors to make sure that I do not have the same early symptoms indicating the potential for the disease. I will live in Canada from now on, I am now studying and will start working upon graduation. Is it ok to apply for a renewal? What do you think?

Many thanks!
The safest option is to wait until you have lived in Canada for two years before you apply to renew your PR card.

If you apply now, you risk IRCC determining that your stay outside of Canada from 2019 to 2022 was voluntary and does not qualify under H&C.

I would only apply to renew now if you are prepared for the risk of potentially losing your PR status. Best to wait.

anshul_prusty

Apr 18, 2017
The safest option is to wait until you have lived in Canada for two years before you apply to renew your PR card.

If you apply now, you risk IRCC determining that your stay outside of Canada from 2019 to 2022 was voluntary and does not qualify under H&C.

I would only apply to renew now if you are prepared for the risk of potentially losing your PR status. Best to wait.
Thank you for your prompt response. I am super confused now because an immigration advisor told me that I must apply for a new PR Card before the current one expires. Otherwise, I would take a risk. I do value and admire your help and I do trust your expertise but since the immigration advisor I talked to told me that I must apply for it, I am really confused now.

I know that PR Card is necessary only when you travel back to Canada and also it may be needed to get the health card etc.. And I also know that the expiration of my PR Card does not conclude the loss of PR. However, I am not quite sure if it is appropriate to live in Canada without a valid PR Card and what would happen when I stay here in Canada for two years non-stop and then apply for a renewal. I am puzzled :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your prompt response. I am super confused now because an immigration advisor told me that I must apply for a new PR Card before the current one expires. Otherwise, I would take a risk. I do value and admire your help and I do trust your expertise but since the immigration advisor I talked to told me that I must apply for it, I am really confused now.

I know that PR Card is necessary only when you travel back to Canada and also it may be needed to get the health card etc.. And I also know that the expiration of my PR Card does not conclude the loss of PR. However, I am not quite sure if it is appropriate to live in Canada without a valid PR Card and what would happen when I stay here in Canada for two years non-stop and then apply for a renewal. I am puzzled :(
The immigration advisor is completely wrong about it being mandatory to renew your PR card before the current one expires. This is extremely wrong information and I would strongly recommend that you not take any further advice from this person. Find a new advisor who knows what they are talking about and understands the rules.

Many people here have lived in Canada without a valid PR card. There are no issues doing so.

Yes, you need a valid PR card to travel. You want to avoid leaving Canada for any reason until you have met RO and/or have successfully renewed your PR card.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You do not need a "valid" PR card if you do not plan to travel in and out of Canada. (or out and in)
Since you have enough ID to live and study in Montreal, you do not need to renew your PR card until you meet your RO.
Stay in Canada for now. And wait till you meet RO before you apply for renewal. Then once you received your new PR card, you can travel with it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Members,

Many thanks!
My condolences on the passing of your mother. I'm sure that she is still `with' you and must be really proud of you.

I concur with the others above, but want to bring something to your attention, as it MAY (or may not) apply:
Without a valid PR card, it's possible that things like provincial health coverage, a DL, etc., may not be available. You just make sure to get/renew anything that you need that can be obtained with your current, valid card.

Good Luck!

anshul_prusty

Apr 18, 2017
Thank you all for your detailed response good wishes. I really appreciate it.

In 2 years I'll have completed my graduate degree here in Montreal and will be working. Just to make sure, they would not revoke my PR status if I apply for renewal after staying here for two years non-stop right? Or still there is a chance of refusal but smaller?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just to make sure, they would not revoke my PR status if I apply for renewal after staying here for two years non-stop right? Or still there is a chance of refusal but smaller?
No, at that point there should be no risk. Note, because you were out of Canada for long before, it may be worthwhile to accrue an additional 'buffer' (30 days?) before applying, just to reduce any chance it takes longer for checking.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Members,

Many thanks!
Would also add you should change neurologists. Only 5-10% of ALS cases are genetic and other than genetic testing you wouldn’t be able to determine whether you have the genetic form of ALS until you become symptomatic. It is a diagnosis of exclusion so it is very unusual for family members of ALS patients to go through things like nerve conduction studies, MRIs, neuro exams, etc. unless they are experiencing symptoms. Unfortunately this neurologists seems to have added unecessary fear to your life and likely a lot of uneneccessary expenses.

I’m sorry for your loss but you seem to have gotten very lucky that the years after your mother’s death coincided with Covid because otherwise you had a very high chance of being reported for not returning soon after your mother’s death. Do not leave Canada until you have met your RO. If others are reading this case it is important to return soon after the death of a loved one. 6-8 months to deal with the estate is likely ok but not 3 years.