+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should Canadian spouse to be included in application ?

eski

Sep 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20 2016
Doc's Request.
Jan 20 2016
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Jan 20 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed Jan 23 2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 17 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 13 2016
LANDED..........
April 28 2016
guys...an inquiry further to the above....my wife is a PR...i plan on uploading her card and my daughters birth certifcate when it asks for PCC and Medicals....it makes a lot of sense,but i wanted to ask....is there anyone out there who actually has a Canadian or PR spouse and this method worked for them??

randomly

Oct 2, 2015
For a Canadian spouse, you can enter 9999-9999 (or whatever the exact length of UCI is) for them with an accompanying LoE.
Source: Third call to CIC to finally get the correct information.

maybee

Aug 1, 2016
Hi there! Did you ever found out about this? I just got my ITA and after selecting 'Common-Law' as my marital status it asks me 'Will this person accompany you to Canada?'

Not sure if I should say yes or no...

MotorHed said:
I am in the same boat - my common-law partner is a Canadian citizen already.

On the Express Entry Application (IE: what gets us entered into the pool) I chose:
-Marital Status -> Common-Law
-Number of Family Members -> 2 (her and I)
-Relatives in Canada -> Yes, Spouse/Partner
-Is your spouse/common-law partner included in this application? -> No

As a result I did not have to submit any language scores, education, etc. for her and my scores were applied as an individual. Makes sense, as others have pointed out.

Now I received an ITA and on the Permanent Residency Application and there is a section specifically for my spouse.

Interestingly, the first question in her "Personal Details" section is: "Will this person accompany 'the primary applicant' to Canada". It is already answered as "No" and to change it, one would need to modify family information as the help window says. Below the answer I am allowed to explain why she will not accompany me to Canada. I typed that it was because she is already a Citizen living in Canada. It is an oddly phrased question so I'm curious if anyone has a different take on it.

Anyhow, as part of her section of the application we must (just like the primary applicant) submit information on her immediate family, provide 10 years of addresses, 10 years of travel outside the home country, 10 years of personal activities, etc. This part is tedious but it gets worse.

Once you get past the survey part of the application you move onto the part of the application where you can submit all of your supporting documents. This is where things get weird for those of us with Canadian spouses.

My spouse again has her own section where it asks for her:
-Police Certificates
-Proof of Medical Exam
-Digital Photo
-Passport/Travel Documents

The police certificate and medical exam are not exactly easy or cheap. Is it right that we have to submit these for someone who is a Canadian citizen? :eek:

arleneramiro - you mentioned that the spouse wouldn't need a medical exam. Where did you get that information?

ishraqiyun77

Nov 9, 2016
After reading through this helpful thread, I do have a question about my situation and just want to make sure my logic is correct.

Wife is Canadian citizen, been in the States her whole life, BA and MA from institutions in the States.

Filling out application and it wants me to fill information about her.

From what I am reading, I should put on my application that she is a Canadian citizen, but is not coming with me until she finds gainful employment.

I am trying to avoid having to fill out portions of the application regarding her education, language assesment, and work history. Her education and language don't need to be evaluated because she is a Canadian citizen and putting 'No' for ECS and IETLS for her seems like it would hurt my EE FSW application.

Am I wrong in this reasoning?

negarmkh

Jan 5, 2017
MotorHed said:
I am in the same boat - my common-law partner is a Canadian citizen already.

On the Express Entry Application (IE: what gets us entered into the pool) I chose:
-Marital Status -> Common-Law
-Number of Family Members -> 2 (her and I)
-Relatives in Canada -> Yes, Spouse/Partner
-Is your spouse/common-law partner included in this application? -> No

As a result I did not have to submit any language scores, education, etc. for her and my scores were applied as an individual. Makes sense, as others have pointed out.

Now I received an ITA and on the Permanent Residency Application and there is a section specifically for my spouse.

Interestingly, the first question in her "Personal Details" section is: "Will this person accompany 'the primary applicant' to Canada". It is already answered as "No" and to change it, one would need to modify family information as the help window says. Below the answer I am allowed to explain why she will not accompany me to Canada. I typed that it was because she is already a Citizen living in Canada. It is an oddly phrased question so I'm curious if anyone has a different take on it.

Anyhow, as part of her section of the application we must (just like the primary applicant) submit information on her immediate family, provide 10 years of addresses, 10 years of travel outside the home country, 10 years of personal activities, etc. This part is tedious but it gets worse.

Once you get past the survey part of the application you move onto the part of the application where you can submit all of your supporting documents. This is where things get weird for those of us with Canadian spouses.

My spouse again has her own section where it asks for her:
-Police Certificates
-Proof of Medical Exam
-Digital Photo
-Passport/Travel Documents

The police certificate and medical exam are not exactly easy or cheap. Is it right that we have to submit these for someone who is a Canadian citizen? :eek:

arleneramiro - you mentioned that the spouse wouldn't need a medical exam. Where did you get that information?

Hi, I have the same problem. I am recently invited to ITA, when I started to filling the form, it asked me if my husband accompany me to Canada, however my husband is a canadian citizen, I answered No, then in the following question, it asked me about his ten years history, activity and home address. I am not sure if I need to response to that? Can anyone help me?

negarmkh

Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I have the same problem. I am recently invited to ITA, when I started to filling the form, it asked me if my husband accompany me to Canada, however my husband is a Canadian citizen, I answered No, then in the following question, it asked me about his ten years history, activity and home address. I am not sure if I need to response to that? Can anyone help me please!!????

arleneramiro

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
Any Canadian spouse is not included in the application. And the answer is "not accompanying" as well, regardless if the spouse is travelling with you or not, because they don't need to look for the Canadian spouse' eligibility. Just upload a canadian passport of your spouse or anything that will prove that the spouse is canadian, and attach a letter explaining that your spouse is a Canadian citizen in every field that requires to upload anything regarding your Canadian spouse. This is what I did last year with my EE application, and I am now a PR.

kone19

Jan 12, 2017
Hey there,

This is great news, I'm just curious with what you did in the section where it asks for 10 years of travel and living information. Being a citizen this feels like an invasion of privacy plus, I have no idea on exact dates on anything I spent 5 years more or less roaming around the country. Do you know if they investigate and look into the dates? I can give estimates but that is about the best I can do. CIC has given me many conflicting answers.

mod9

Jan 12, 2017
What about the case the spouse is PR? Does he need to get Police Certificate and Medical? Please helpppppp :-[

Jan 15, 2017
Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Answered "No" the the 'is your spouse accompanying you to Canada' question. She is a Canadian citizen, but the application is still asking for her travel history and personal activities. Will call CIC to clear it up tomorrow, but if anyone has figured this out, please let me know!

Thanks!

ascendings

Jan 16, 2017
ameritorontonian said:
Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Answered "No" the the 'is your spouse accompanying you to Canada' question. She is a Canadian citizen, but the application is still asking for her travel history and personal activities. Will call CIC to clear it up tomorrow, but if anyone has figured this out, please let me know!

Thanks!
I also have the same question. I have a Canadian common-law partner and wonder if I need to submit information all about his history and family (also Canadian) and documents about them too...

arleneramiro

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
any Canadian/PR spouse are:
a. not included in the application
b. not accompanying you to Canada
For every part that needs to upload a Canadian/PR spouse's documents, I just uploaded my spouse's passport and letter explaining that my spouse is a Canadian citizen.
For the parts that need personal/travel etc history of the Canadian/PR spouse, I think (i don't remember anymore), I think there was no option to leave it blank, so I think I just filled it out as I have all the information anyway from my spouse. But honestly, once they know that you're spouse or common-law partner is Canadian/PR, they don't bother with their information anymore, because they do not need to be assessed for eligibility. You are the applicant, who is not a PR/Canadian citizen yet, so you are the one that is being assessed for eligibility.
I hope these helps! Good luck everyone. I already have my PR last more than a year ago through EE, and my spouse is Canadian citizen.

ascendings

Jan 16, 2017
arleneramiro said:
any Canadian/PR spouse are:
a. not included in the application
b. not accompanying you to Canada
For every part that needs to upload a Canadian/PR spouse's documents, I just uploaded my spouse's passport and letter explaining that my spouse is a Canadian citizen.
For the parts that need personal/travel etc history of the Canadian/PR spouse, I think (i don't remember anymore), I think there was no option to leave it blank, so I think I just filled it out as I have all the information anyway from my spouse. But honestly, once they know that you're spouse or common-law partner is Canadian/PR, they don't bother with their information anymore, because they do not need to be assessed for eligibility. You are the applicant, who is not a PR/Canadian citizen yet, so you are the one that is being assessed for eligibility.
I hope these helps! Good luck everyone. I already have my PR last more than a year ago through EE, and my spouse is Canadian citizen.
Thanks for your help. Did you attach the form IMM5409 Declaration of Common Law, plus proof of relationship as well? For my partner's part of the application it is asking for passport and proof of status for family member (does that mean his own status? or my status? because in my section it also asks for proof of status of family member...) I'll be calling CIC to ask but doesn't hurt to get your input too...

ppreyes3

Mar 2, 2017
Hi all! I'm in the same boat but just have a quick question. From the previous threads, since my common-law partner is Canadian, I have put No on whether he is accompanying me. We both currently reside in the Philippines so under "Relatives in Canada" I wouldn't be able to put him down right? I should put down my aunt and uncle who currently lives in Canada?

Chef-de-Bureau

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Thanks for your help. Did you attach the form IMM5409 Declaration of Common Law, plus proof of relationship as well? For my partner's part of the application it is asking for passport and proof of status for family member (does that mean his own status? or my status? because in my section it also asks for proof of status of family member...) I'll be calling CIC to ask but doesn't hurt to get your input too...
Does anyone have an update on this? I'm in the exact same boat.