+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shorten Name

123asdf

Jan 6, 2017
I had a question regarding changing a name to a shorter form. When they applied for PR they used their full name including middle name that was on their Indian passport. So their health card and drivers license has this name, but other things like bank/credit cards have their shortened name without middle name.

What is the best way to go about changing it? I contacted Service Canada and they said since there is no government document with the shortened name we would need a letter from a lawyer and file for a name change. Is there an easier way since it's not a complete name change? Also, would it be possible (easier) to make the change when applying for citizenship?

I understand that if that's what Service Canada says, then that's what is required, but I was wondering what peoples' experience is with this.

Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had a question regarding changing a name to a shorter form. When they applied for PR they used their full name including middle name that was on their Indian passport. So their health card and drivers license has this name, but other things like bank/credit cards have their shortened name without middle name.

What is the best way to go about changing it? I contacted Service Canada and they said since there is no government document with the shortened name we would need a letter from a lawyer and file for a name change. Is there an easier way since it's not a complete name change? Also, would it be possible (easier) to make the change when applying for citizenship?

I understand that if that's what Service Canada says, then that's what is required, but I was wondering what peoples' experience is with this.

Thank you in advance.
If you are using a shortened name on ID you should either be legally changing your name or using your full name on IDs. You shouldn’t have identification with different names. It can only lead to problems.

123asdf

Jan 6, 2017
Thanks. Would it be easier to request the shortened name when applying for citizenship, or would it be the same either way?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Would it be easier to request the shortened name when applying for citizenship, or would it be the same either way?
You have to go to court and legally change your name. Only then can you use a shortened name on any document.

123asdf

Jan 6, 2017
Just to follow up, they need to renew their Indian passport before applying for citizenship so I was wondering if it might be easier to change the name on the Indian passport before applying for citizenship. Has anybody gone this route?