+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

short-term course on a PGWP

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
I'm currently in Canada on a PGWP. I plan to enroll in some courses that are part of the CPA PEP program that will take me around 5 months to complete. Based on a discussion with the CIC call center agent, I can enroll in this course without a study permit if the total length of the program is less than 6 months. Since this a part-time study program, they do not have an official length of the program, as it varies from individual to individual. Normally, this course is completed in 2 years but because of my university education, I was exempted from a majority of the modules, the length of the program was cut short to 5 months for me. Would I still need a study permit for this situation?

I would appreciate any advice on this!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm currently in Canada on a PGWP. I plan to enroll in some courses that are part of the CPA PEP program that will take me around 5 months to complete. Based on a discussion with the CIC call center agent, I can enroll in this course without a study permit if the total length of the program is less than 6 months. Since this a part-time study program, they do not have an official length of the program, as it varies from individual to individual. Normally, this course is completed in 2 years but because of my university education, I was exempted from a majority of the modules, the length of the program was cut short to 5 months for me. Would I still need a study permit for this situation?

I would appreciate any advice on this!
Think you need to consider the normal length of the program. It sounds like it is a part-time program but longer than 6 months. You have been exempted from some modules but that doesn't change what the length of the program on paper.