+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short stay and things we ought to do upon soft landing in Saskatchewan

Nyz2Canada

Apr 14, 2016
Hi! My family and I are planning to do soft landing (SINP nomination) in Saskatchewan in Summer of this year.
1. Can someone please advise / suggest accommodation for approx 10 days in Saskatoon and 8 days in Regina? Would staying closer to airport hotels be an issue in terms of proximity to downtown and CBD?
2. The paperwork that we need to do whilst we are there?
3. Besides SOPA where do we go to find out about school for our child (he wont be joining now by next year, when we land permanently); we wish to get an idea.
Thank you.

Albina

May 16, 2016
Beside SOPA, if you are settling in Regina you can get further information about settling from The Regina Open Door Society (RODS).

In Saskatoon: Newcomer Information Centre (NIC) and Saskatoon Open Door Society .

Hope this helps.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should apply for a SIN and you could open a bank account but as far as health care, child tax benefit etc. you don't qualify until you actually move to Canada.

Unless you are planning to send your child to private school, he will go to a neighbourhood school where you live so you will not know which school he will go to until you have arranged housing.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
26-05-2015 with application
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Nyz2Canada said:
Hi! My family and I are planning to do soft landing (SINP nomination) in Saskatchewan in Summer of this year.
1. Can someone please advise / suggest accommodation for approx 10 days in Saskatoon and 8 days in Regina? Would staying closer to airport hotels be an issue in terms of proximity to downtown and CBD?
2. The paperwork that we need to do whilst we are there?
3. Besides SOPA where do we go to find out about school for our child (he wont be joining now by next year, when we land permanently); we wish to get an idea.
Thank you.
I am doing the same this August, I found a great place to reserve a room in Regina

https://www.airbnb.com/

I found a price of 52 USD per night for three people, is considerably cheaper than any hotel in Regina.

also, The person I will staying with, allowed me to give her address to the CIC, to request the PR Cards

We plan to at least open a bank account, to transfer money from my country to Canada,

Take care!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tetunte said:
I am doing the same this August, I found a great place to reserve a room in Regina

https://www.airbnb.com/

I found a price of 52 USD per night for three people, is considerably cheaper than any hotel in Regina.

also, The person I will staying with, allowed me to give her address to the CIC, to request the PR Cards

We plan to at least open a bank account, to transfer money from my country to Canada,

Take care!
I just want to point out that it may not be safe to get your PR cards mailed to someone on airbnb. You don't really know this person so you can't be sure they don't sell your PR card to the highest bidder and tell you it never arrived.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
26-05-2015 with application
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Leon said:
I just want to point out that it may not be safe to get your PR cards mailed to someone on airbnb. You don't really know this person so you can't be sure they don't sell your PR card to the highest bidder and tell you it never arrived.
Thank you for the advice, probably it is a best option to rent an UPS Mail Box in Regina.

sumairak

Jul 18, 2014
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
In process
Nomination.....
Saskatchewan
AOR Received.
Aug 10, 2015
tetunte said:
Thank you for the advice, probably it is a best option to rent an UPS Mail Box in Regina.
Hi i am planning as well to do a short visit to sask. since i dnt know anyone i was worried about the address i would need for PR.
how UPS mail box works? is it like a P.O. Box?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sumairak said:
Hi i am planning as well to do a short visit to sask. since i dnt know anyone i was worried about the address i would need for PR.
how UPS mail box works? is it like a P.O. Box?
UPS is a courier company that offers a mailing address and forwarding so you can get your mail sent there and they will forward it to where you are living.

raheelpk

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,

How can we finish landing process in SK via air travel or this has to be done through Toronto or other airports

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raheelpk said:
Hi,

How can we finish landing process in SK via air travel or this has to be done through Toronto or other airports
If you find a flight directly to SK, you can land in SK. If you don't, you will land at your first entry point in Canada whether it is Toronto or some other big city. If you are a SINP applicant, you may be asked by immigration whether you are going to your PNP province in which case it may be helpful that you have an ongoing flight there.

sumairak

Jul 18, 2014
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
In process
Nomination.....
Saskatchewan
AOR Received.
Aug 10, 2015
hey guys I am planning to do short landing in August and i have a question regarding bank statement.
upon landing do I have to show them a very recent bank statement like a week old or 2-3 month old statement would work? actually my bank account is in Pakistan and im here in USA so i have to ask my family to courier me the original in August.
or they accept pdf i can generate on my own through bank website.
please suggest what is accepted.

thanks,

amjk28

Star Member
Jan 27, 2015
Hi, if we initially declared Regina in our places, will it create a problem if we opt to land in Saskatoon instead?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amjk28 said:
Hi, if we initially declared Regina in our places, will it create a problem if we opt to land in Saskatoon instead?
No, that is not a problem.

sikka1984

Jan 13, 2016
Friends, I m planning to land in Saskatoon or Regina. I had got PR from SiNP express entry. Below are my questions,

A. For your softime landing, how much days I should plan to stay ? I would like to apply for as many required documents like, SIN, bank account or driving license... do I need a permanent address or a lease proof for these items.
B. I don't know anyone in the country, so please explain how to get UPS forwarding box and is it acceptable for border security number is it safereally option ?
C. Post obtaining landing card, will I be able to go to any province for final decision.. ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sikka1984 said:
Friends, I m planning to land in Saskatoon or Regina. I had got PR from SiNP express entry. Below are my questions,

A. For your softime landing, how much days I should plan to stay ? I would like to apply for as many required documents like, SIN, bank account or driving license... do I need a permanent address or a lease proof for these items.
B. I don't know anyone in the country, so please explain how to get UPS forwarding box and is it acceptable for border security number is it safereally option ?
C. Post obtaining landing card, will I be able to go to any province for final decision.. ?
A. You should definitely not try to sign up for health care if you are not staying. If you want to get a drivers license, you need a permanent address and proof that you are living in SK. Aside from that, you must part with your current drivers license which may not be what you want if you are not staying this time.

B. Go to a UPS store and ask for an address. You can find a UPS store here: http://www.theupsstore.ca/store-finder/ The address they give you should be good for most things you need to get mailed to you.

C. If you applied through SINP, you signed a document stating that you intend to reside in SK. This must be your intention when you apply and when you land. You should never speak of any other possibility before you land or when you land. However, after you have your PR, there is no law that says you must stay in SK. Immigration officers have sometimes told people that they must stay in their PNP province for 2 years or 3 years or until they get citizenship or even forever but there is no legal basis for that. Technically they could start going after people who leave if they wanted to on the basis of misrepresentation but they would have to be able to prove that you never intended to settle in SK.