NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-11-17
Med's Request
upfront
Hello Guys.

I did my short landing 5 days ago and i opened the bank account within RBC Bank. Yesterday, I received the envelope from the bank with Declaration for Tax Residence form on my friend's address in Canada. Issue is I am not planning to come back to Canada in the next 4 months, since I am still working in Dubai and have a notice period to serve. I don't have PR Card yet, so technically, I cannot be considered as Permanent Resident too. Also, Dubai is a tax-free country.

I wonder what exactly I need to mention in the form's section 2. Any ideas?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello Guys.

I did my short landing 5 days ago and i opened the bank account within RBC Bank. Yesterday, I received the envelope from the bank with Declaration for Tax Residence form on my friend's address in Canada. Issue is I am not planning to come back to Canada in the next 4 months, since I am still working in Dubai and have a notice period to serve. I don't have PR Card yet, so technically, I cannot be considered as Permanent Resident too. Also, Dubai is a tax-free country.

I wonder what exactly I need to mention in the form's section 2. Any ideas?
You ARE a Permanent Resident once you completed your landing. The PR card is not relevant to your status. You are probably not a tax-resident yet.
Tick the second option and fill in your details / explanation. Are you a tax-resident of your home country as well?

Reactions: YVR123

aoamber

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-11-17
Med's Request
upfront
You ARE a Permanent Resident once you completed your landing. The PR card is not relevant to your status. You are probably not a tax-resident yet.
Tick the second option and fill in your details / explanation. Are you a tax-resident of your home country as well?
I am not a tax - resident of my home country too. I don't have any estate there, also I don't have any incomes because I don't live there. Also, according to this explanation, I cannot be considered as Permanent Resident yet - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not a tax - resident of my home country too. I don't have any estate there, also I don't have any incomes because I don't live there. Also, according to this explanation, I cannot be considered as Permanent Resident yet - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html
You may not be a tax resident of Canada, but you are a permanent resident of Canada because you immigrated to Canada (You landed five days ago!):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

aoamber

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-11-17
Med's Request
upfront

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Keep in mind that if you choose the option that you are not a tax resident of Canada, RBC may revoke your account or your account will be subject to more checks and reviews.
Do you have a SIN? If I were in your shoes and sure to return permanently in 4 months I would just choose the first option.

Reactions: aoamber

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Keep in mind that if you choose the option that you are not a tax resident of Canada, RBC may revoke your account or your account will be subject to more checks and reviews.
Do you have a SIN? If I were in your shoes and sure to return permanently in 4 months I would just choose the first option.
I am not a tax-resident since last 2 years and Scotia has not raised any concerns regarding my account.

Reactions: aoamber

aoamber

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-09-2017
File Transfer...
29-11-17
Med's Request
upfront
Honestly, I overestimated saying that I may come back in 4 months. I would say in 12 month time.
I just wonder what kind of issue it would raise if one is not living in Canada, has no significant ties in Canada and spent less then a week in Canada overall.

However, if what you mentioned is the issue, I will close my account in the bank right away. Don't see any reason to keep money there if I don't even use and don't live there for now.

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You can use some of the money to build your credit history so that you won't need to start from scratch once you move permanently to Canada. Get a credit card, use it to buy virtual gift cards at amazon.ca. Use money in checking accounts to pay for credit card expenses. Amazon gift cards don't expire and you can use them once you return.

You can also deposit money in high interest savings and earn interest.