+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short landing - list of goods

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
If you want to be fully honest like I did, you should write the number of days you're staying in Canada in the declaration card. No need to say anything else. The officer did notice the number of days in the card and asked me to apply for a PRTD to re-enter Canada.

I first passed by the immigration counter (right before you go down to collect your luggage at YYZ.) The officer only seemed to care about the declaration card at that point when she knew I was a new immigrant. She then directed me to the immigration office after marking my declaration card (I declared an extra bit of cash.) All the immigration officer required was the Passport, COPR and an address to send my PR card. She made me sign both copies of the COPR, took the one with the photo attached and gave me the other one. I then went to get my SIN number at the same place. The whole process took around 10 min. Finally, I passed by the CBSA office after collecting my luggage and met the same officer I first met at the immigration counter. I gave her my lists of goods and goods to follow and filled in the money declaration form. She gave me receipts of the total value of my goods as well as a receipt for the cash. They did not check any of my luggage.
Thanks a lot. I am little confused here. Do we still need to apply for PRTD to re-enter Canada when you get your PR card posted to your residing address if not in Canada?

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
If you want to be fully honest like I did, you should write the number of days you're staying in Canada in the declaration card. No need to say anything else. The officer did notice the number of days in the card and asked me to apply for a PRTD to re-enter Canada.

I first passed by the immigration counter (right before you go down to collect your luggage at YYZ.) The officer only seemed to care about the declaration card at that point when she knew I was a new immigrant. She then directed me to the immigration office after marking my declaration card (I declared an extra bit of cash.) All the immigration officer required was the Passport, COPR and an address to send my PR card. She made me sign both copies of the COPR, took the one with the photo attached and gave me the other one. I then went to get my SIN number at the same place. The whole process took around 10 min. Finally, I passed by the CBSA office after collecting my luggage and met the same officer I first met at the immigration counter. I gave her my lists of goods and goods to follow and filled in the money declaration form. She gave me receipts of the total value of my goods as well as a receipt for the cash. They did not check any of my luggage.
So when you say the officer asked you to apply for PRTD, does it mean one can apply it after landing right away?
Also, do we need to pay any fees for this?

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Thanks a lot. I am little confused here. Do we still need to apply for PRTD to re-enter Canada when you get your PR card posted to your residing address if not in Canada?
No. You only need the PRTD to enter Canada if you don't have your PR card in your possession. So if someone is able to mail it or physically bring it to you, then no need to worry about the PRTD.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
So when you say the officer asked you to apply for PRTD, does it mean one can apply it after landing right away?
Also, do we need to pay any fees for this?
not sure about the PRTD application.
Please note that you only need PRTD if you are entering through commercial vehicle, bus, airplane etc...
If you are entering through border in you private vehicle then COPR will work fine. Since COPR is one time entry only, during second entry you may face secondary check which is very normal and smooth process. PRTD is not required in this situation but COPR is necessary if you don't have the PR card.

Jun 6, 2017
Hello All,
We will be doing a soft landing in early august only for a week via rental car from United states. Got a good idea about list of docs after reading the threads.
1) My question is do we need to carry PR photo (50 x 70 mm) beforehand, as i read somewhere CIC doesn't accept direct courier from outside of Canada and so you need to send your pics to someone in Canada so that they cand send to CIC via post. Is it true?
2) Also, regarding proof of funds, we are planning to carry very less cash say $1000 CAD and on top of it credit cards and debit cards. Additionally, would be carrying updated bank statements to show them enough POF. Would that suffice??

Highly appreciate if someone can answer this. Thanks in advance!!

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hello All,
We will be doing a soft landing in early august only for a week via rental car from United states. Got a good idea about list of docs after reading the threads.
1) My question is do we need to carry PR photo (50 x 70 mm) beforehand, as i read somewhere CIC doesn't accept direct courier from outside of Canada and so you need to send your pics to someone in Canada so that they cand send to CIC via post. Is it true?
Yes, you need to carry the photo with you. The photo can't be more than 6 months old.
2) Also, regarding proof of funds, we are planning to carry very less cash say $1000 CAD and on top of it credit cards and debit cards. Additionally, would be carrying updated bank statements to show them enough POF. Would that suffice??
It would suffice.
Highly appreciate if someone can answer this. Thanks in advance!!

Jun 16, 2018
Hi folks,

Me and my wife did a soft landing in Vancouver 3 weeks back. We live in Seattle, so we just drove there and came back the next day (after opening a bank account, getting a SIN etc).

The soft landing went smoothly and the officer did ask us for BSF186 (List of goods we were bringing or planning to bring).

We told her her that we are not carrying anything at the moment except our car which we're driving and that we plan to move within the next year.
She said no worries, get you're list of goods which you'll be bringing 'soon' and we said ok to that.

We'd love to give the list of goods that we will be bringing soon but we're not sure if we can really estimate correctly (we also have a baby on the way which makes it even tougher to estimate)

We were thinking we will share the list of things form only when we do a hard landing in Canada (possibly within an year). Do you think that should be alright?

I'd prefer to give a correct list when we do a hard landing than an incorrect list now and get bound by it.

Please let me know your thoughts, if that would be ok?

Thanks!!

Last edited: