+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short landing and PR activation - please help

stellavia

Feb 13, 2017
Hello all,

My COPR expires on March 9. I'll be doing a short landing for vacation trip of 10 days, then moving back later in the year.
Wondering you can please help me with two questions as I keep reading different things and am now quite worried:
- What do I fill in the airplane form for number of days of my trip?
- If I'm asked about short landing, and the immigration officer refuses to mail my PR card will my PR still count as activated? Or will I need to depart and land again?
- I don't think I need to show proof of funds as I applied under the old Canadian Experience Class - is this right?

Thank you so much for your help!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Quick advice: Number your questions next time. Makes it easier to answer them individually :)

First question: Good question. Maybe simply leave it empty, then explain to the border officer what your are doing and ask him what the right thin to do is? Short landings are legal after all.

Second question: As long as you are honest to the border officer (which you should be) you have to tell him that you don't have an address in Canada yet which means the officer has to (and will) refuse to send your PR card. Still, your PR is activated and you will have a stamped CoPR which means you can apply for a SIN etc. You can also use this CoPR to apply for a PRTD when you actually land.

Third question: You'd have to ask a CEC expert which I'm not.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
There is nothing that says short landing is not legal. If you are landing as a PR, it means you are arrived indefinitely. The fact that you plan to leave in 10 days, is for you to know. They will send the PR card to a Canadian address. If you don't have one, you can always give a friend or relatives address who can then post it to you for re-entry.

CEC candidates do not need to show proof of funds.

stellavia

Feb 13, 2017
Thank you for your kind advice, spyfy and xpressentry. Relieved that it isn't so complicated after all. I'll be sure to number things next time!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
stellavia said:
Thank you for your kind advice, spyfy and xpressentry. Relieved that it isn't so complicated after all. I'll be sure to number things next time!
plus if there is a Service Canada facility open at the airport you are landing at apply for your SIN as well given saves time later

JATIENZA

Aug 14, 2014
We are also in soft landing in June 2017. Its possible to stay in Vancouver for few days before we proceed to Manitoba?

Thanks for answering.

xpressentry said:
There is nothing that says short landing is not legal. If you are landing as a PR, it means you are arrived indefinitely. The fact that you plan to leave in 10 days, is for you to know. They will send the PR card to a Canadian address. If you don't have one, you can always give a friend or relatives address who can then post it to you for re-entry.

CEC candidates do not need to show proof of funds.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
I hear a lot about 'being honest' with CBSA regarding short landing. That's all good and fine; however, I want to understand it from a legal standpoint. Specifically, what happens if you say something and do something else after landing? Presumably, you can change your mind at anytime right? The question is whether it would amount to misrepresentation/deception from a legal standpoint. Here are the 3 types of short landing responses I can imagine giving when asked by a CBSA officer 'What are your plans after landing?' :

Scenario 1 (Purely permanent): You claim that you are moving permanently.
Pros:
- There's nothing more to discuss. The CBSA officer lets you in.
Cons:
- Your soul feels trepidation.

Scenario 2 (Almost permanent): You claim that you are beginning the process of moving permanently and will make a few trips back and forth over the next few months as you wrap up affairs in your prior country, find a new job in Canada, move your stuff, etc.
Pros:
- You declare your intent to leave after a few days while still indicating a permanent landing.
Cons:
- Your soul feels some trepidation but not as much as Scenario 1.
- The CBSA officer may decide not to issue your PR card at this present time.

Scenario 3 (Purely short): You claim that you will leave for your prior country in the next few days and return a few years later.
Pros:
- Your soul feels no trepidation.
Cons:
- The CBSA officer may decide not to issue your PR card at this present time with a much likelihood than Scenario 2.

People are advocating undertaking Scenario 3 (Purely Short), however why not do Scenario 1 (Purely Permanent) and Scenario 2 (Almost permanent); especially if the risk of the CBSA officer impounding your PR card is negligible.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
When I landed, the officer knew that I was doing the "short landing". He said it himself that he understood that I needed to go back to the US to wrap things up.

> What do I fill in the airplane form for number of days of my trip?

Don't leave this empty. Enter the number of days you will be in Canada. Some officer's do not like it if the declaration card is not filled properly, and might grill you for it.

> If I'm asked about short landing, and the immigration officer refuses to mail my PR card will my PR still count as activated? Or will I need to depart and land again?

Answer your intentions truthfully when asked, and you will be fine. Don't give out information that is not asked. Note that the PR visa issued on your passport is single entry only. You'd need to get another PR visa if you depart and land again, but I have never seen anybody face this.

> I don't think I need to show proof of funds as I applied under the old Canadian Experience Class - is this right?

I don't know the rules about CEC. But if you applied through Express Entry, then look at the inland section for requirements during landing (I believe that CEC people are considered as inland): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/arrival.asp. It mentions that you need show the proof of funds.

Reactions: MapleVivi