+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Short landing" – how to receive PR Card without relative/friend in Canada

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
Hi,

I am flying to Canada in about 1 week to complete the so-called "short-landing" in Vancouver. Of course, it would be much more desirable to land permanently at the first time. However, like many others, it makes sense to accumulate more savings in our existing job before making the permanent move. Hence, this arrangement.

My dilemma is the PR Card. I have already done the research, and have concluded that it is relatively safe to have the PR Card mailed outside Canada by a courier service. However, my problem is that I do not have any relatives/family/friends in Canada who can receive this card for me (and subsequently courier it to my home country). I have 3 options in mind, and was wondering if people can let me know what they think:

1. Use a commercial mail forwarding service.
There are commercial services (I am not talking about Canada Post or UPS) that provide a street address for the client to use as a mailing address in Canada. After receiving the client's letters, the service provider can forward the letters to the client using courier services. I have been looking at two such service providers, but there are two problems:
a. One of them can only provide a Quebec address (the other uses a Vancouver address)
b. Both of their addresses are commercial street addresses (not residential ones). I was able to find this out using google map (Canada).
Questions
1) Is providing CIC a commercial addresses for the sending of PR Card going to cause any problems for first-time short-landers like me?
2) Regardless of the nature of the address (commercial or residential), is it a must that the address has to be in the city in which you land (ruling out the Quebec-based service)?

2. Declare honestly to the immigration officer that I will not be staying long enough for this trip to receive my PR Card
This means that I will apply for the PR Card later when I come to settle in Canada for good (which will be about 1-2 years from now). At that time, I will be using a PR Travel Document to enter Canada.
Question
Is not having a PR Card going to cause problems if, during my absence from Canada, I decide to look for jobs or apply for university/college admission in Canada, or in any other situation where proof of PR status is required? Will the signed COPR suffice for this purpose?

3. Ask acquaintances from a long-time ago to help, and pay them for the help
While I do not have any friends or family in Canada, I do have several acquaintances from before who, if not living in Canada, almost certainly have family in Canada. These include: a Canadian roommate from almost 9 years ago (have not been in contact at all), a Canadian classmate from more than 4 years ago (have not been in contact, nor were we close), a Canadian professor from more than 4 years ago (I was a doctoral student; she would most certainly remember me; but again, we have not been in contact).

I am not sure if is appropriate to now suddenly contact these people after so many years of silence, solely because I need their help. BUT, I will pay them (I propose to pay C$300 for the assistance, and another C$100 for courier fees). However, I am not sure if this is appropriate to approach them from a social / inter-personal relationship point of view (so this is not a question about technicality any more).

I would very much appreciate if people could let me know what they think about the above 3 options, and please feel free to give me other suggestions. I am sure there are many others in my situation too. Thank you!

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hey,

I am also in a similar situation as yours. Not in that I'm doing a short landing, but in that I don't have an address yet to where I could receive the PR card (I will be staying at an Airbnb while I find an apartment). I am, however, able to answer a couple of your questions:

2. I have heard that it is always better to just be honest with the officer and let them know that you're doing a short landing. You can apply for the PR card later. You can look for jobs whenever you want, but you'll need your SIN number to start working. I'm not sure about studying. And usually a record of landing is sufficient proof of your PR status. I know you can even enter the country by car using your COPR and passport to identify yourself (you don't even need a PRTD to enter by car).

3. I would say this is up to who you'd feel more comfortable with when asking for this favor. Receiving the card for you is more than simple enough, but then you'd need them to go and courier it to you. I've heard that Canadians are very nice, so it's likely that they'll be happy to hear that you have become a PR and will be moving to Canada. From the three options you listed, I would say your professor sounds like the most reliable option, especially since you're thinking about paying them for this favor (if it were me, I would not even accept the C$300, but just the courier fees, which you could probably even pay remotely). But that's just me and my cultural heritage. Again, I think that you need to take into consideration what your relationship with them was like. For example, if you got along really well with your roommate, I don't see why he wouldn't be happy to hear from you.

Hope any of that helps...

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
Thank you for your reply and for sharing your thoughts. I saw from your own post that you are also trying to make a decision on Canadian address for the purpose of receiving the PR Card. It is unfortunate that we don't have friends or family in Canada who can help us in this situation (it seems like EVERYONE ELSE does!). You said you are staying at Airbnb. Is it possible for you to just stay there for 2-3 months (or up till when your card arrives)? It might inconvenience you a little bit in terms of delaying the other aspects of your life, but it might be worth it, I guess? It seems to me that receiving the PR Card signifies the completion of the immigration journey (despite the fact that other documents might serve as proof of the PR status), which is why I still hope for the PR Card to be issued on this trip ...

Re: 3, if one of those previous acquaintances of mine live in a province different from my province of landing, do you think it might be a problem? Suppose the professor provides me with a Toronto address, but I am landing in Vancouver, is it sensible at all to give the officer this Toronto address? ...

VictorCA said:
Hey,

I am also in a similar situation as yours. Not in that I'm doing a short landing, but in that I don't have an address yet to where I could receive the PR card (I will be staying at an Airbnb while I find an apartment). I am, however, able to answer a couple of your questions:

2. I have heard that it is always better to just be honest with the officer and let them know that you're doing a short landing. You can apply for the PR card later. You can look for jobs whenever you want, but you'll need your SIN number to start working. I'm not sure about studying. And usually a record of landing is sufficient proof of your PR status. I know you can even enter the country by car using your COPR and passport to identify yourself (you don't even need a PRTD to enter by car).

3. I would say this is up to who you'd feel more comfortable with when asking for this favor. Receiving the card for you is more than simple enough, but then you'd need them to go and courier it to you. I've heard that Canadians are very nice, so it's likely that they'll be happy to hear that you have become a PR and will be moving to Canada. From the three options you listed, I would say your professor sounds like the most reliable option, especially since you're thinking about paying them for this favor (if it were me, I would not even accept the C$300, but just the courier fees, which you could probably even pay remotely). But that's just me and my cultural heritage. Again, I think that you need to take into consideration what your relationship with them was like. For example, if you got along really well with your roommate, I don't see why he wouldn't be happy to hear from you.

Hope any of that helps...

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
jaideuxchats said:
Thank you for your reply and for sharing your thoughts. I saw from your own post that you are also trying to make a decision on Canadian address for the purpose of receiving the PR Card. It is unfortunate that we don't have friends or family in Canada who can help us in this situation (it seems like EVERYONE ELSE does!). You said you are staying at Airbnb. Is it possible for you to just stay there for 2-3 months (or up till when your card arrives)? It might inconvenience you a little bit in terms of delaying the other aspects of your life, but it might be worth it, I guess? It seems to me that receiving the PR Card signifies the completion of the immigration journey (despite the fact that other documents might serve as proof of the PR status), which is why I still hope for the PR Card to be issued on this trip ...

Re: 3, if one of those previous acquaintances of mine live in a province different from my province of landing, do you think it might be a problem? Suppose the professor provides me with a Toronto address, but I am landing in Vancouver, is it sensible at all to give the officer this Toronto address? ...
The law does not prohibit sending of your PR card to a friend, as long as you APPLY the card within Canada. I am unsure about having your mailing address in another province, but this may be possible because you can move to another province after landing, right?

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
jaideuxchats said:

No problem at all. Yeah, I know. I actually have an acquaintance in Alberta but it's a situation similar to yours in that I haven't been in touch with him since middle school. I did contact him already and he said I could use his address, but he didn't sound very happy about it haha so I'm looking for an alternative so I can thank him anyway but let him know that I won't be needing to use his address. I have a good friend in Quebec and some other good friends in Ontario, but I'm planning to live in Calgary, so I'm also not sure if that would represent an issue. I know that it shouldn't be a problem so long as you're not a provincial nominee (which I'm not), but I still wouldn't want to raise anyone's eyebrows...

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
I am not a provincial nominee either. However, I am a little concerned with the Quebec address. As FSW, we explicitly declared our intention to live outside Quebec (yes?). So, I am not sure how I can explain this to the officer when I give him a Quebec address. I suppose I can say that this is just the address of a friend who will receive the PR Card on my behalf, and that I personally will settle in Anglophone Canada. Not sure whether this would work. So far for me, a Quebec business address is all I have ... :(

VictorCA said:
No problem at all. Yeah, I know. I actually have an acquaintance in Alberta but it's a situation similar to yours in that I haven't been in touch with him since middle school. I did contact him already and he said I could use his address, but he didn't sound very happy about it haha so I'm looking for an alternative so I can thank him anyway but let him know that I won't be needing to use his address. I have a good friend in Quebec and some other good friends in Ontario, but I'm planning to live in Calgary, so I'm also not sure if that would represent an issue. I know that it shouldn't be a problem so long as you're not a provincial nominee (which I'm not), but I still wouldn't want to raise anyone's eyebrows...

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
What about having the card mailed to a Quebec address when I am a FSW? Is this too much of a risk to even attempt it? Do they care?

specialmary said:
The law does not prohibit sending of your PR card to a friend, as long as you APPLY the card within Canada. I am unsure about having your mailing address in another province, but this may be possible because you can move to another province after landing, right?

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
open ups MAil box. they will send your pr card after you did short landing to your home country address.

i did that and many other also. you hv to search right location of po box. every UPS office has different rates.

you can pick near to metro or tram station.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
hina zaidi said:
open ups MAil box. they will send your pr card after you did short landing to your home country address.

i did that and many other also. you hv to search right location of po box. every UPS office has different rates.

you can pick near to metro or tram station.
Operational Bulletin:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob491.asp

'The letter will inform the applicant that CIC does not mail PR Cards to third party addresses, and that the PR Card will be mailed to the residential address once it has been provided by the client. As PR Cards are not mailed to P.O. boxes, clients who indicate a P.O. box instead of a mailing address will have to provide justification as to the reason they do not have an acceptable mailing address.'

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
i already that buletin of CIC of 2013.

UPS Mail box is not po box, it is a proper address of UPS office in different locations in the cities. . i used it 2016 and other also used.

i pick UPS mail box based on advice on this forum. it worked for me and for other also.

Regards

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have used UPS Mailbox in Canada and indeed address of Mailbox appears like a Normal address. Unless someone uses Google Maps or Address Validation service it would be difficult to find out if its residential address or PO Box.

However UPS Mailbox does not come cheap. Here is the quote I got for a UPS Mailbox in West Island , Montreal in Jan 2015.

"The smallest box for personal use cost $139.00 for six months. There is a also a onetime $20.00 lock fees and $5.00 key deposit fee."

Dang. I just realize that I did not ask for my $5 key deposit fee back from UPS store :p

Hello Hina - How much did UPS charge to mail your PR cards to your home country ?

Reactions: fayfeily

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your comments. Just a quick follow-up. An acquaintance (option 3 in my original post) agreed to help me. I think I will just use his address.
I believe lots of people have used their friends' or relatives' address for receiving (and onward forwarding) of the PR Card. So I think it should be fine.

But I still have one question: Do I tell the officer at the airport that this is my friend's address, he is receiving the card for me and I am not living at that address?

And relatedly, should I provide my address in the following format:

My Name
C/O Friend Name
Friend Address

or just this format?:

My Name
Friend Address

Thanks!

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
Hi ,

i open UPS MAILbox in toronto at 179 C$ plus taxes for 1 year period.they charge me around 100 C$ for delivery PR card to my home country address.

i am renewing this year also.

i am using UPS mail box to receive my Debit card and other mails also. since i didnt get indepent accomdation yet.

Regards,

Reactions: jackan

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
Hi, thanks for sharing this info. I think UPS Mailbox is really the best method. I wish I had known. However, a friend had just replied positively to my request to help. Now, I would find it awkward to say "I don't need your help anymore". But thanks for this info.

hina zaidi said:
Hi ,

i open UPS MAILbox in toronto at 179 C$ plus taxes for 1 year period.they charge me around 100 C$ for delivery PR card to my home country address.

i am renewing this year also.

i am using UPS mail box to receive my Debit card and other mails also. since i didnt get indepent accomdation yet.

Regards,

pitra426

Jan 1, 2016
Hi guys,

I am in the exact same situation as you.
I have no friends/relatives in Canada to provide their residential address for the PR card.
I can only do a short landing for a week in early-Feb, but plan to move permanently sometime in the second half of this year.

Many members who were in a similar situation suggest using UPS mailboxes.
I don't mind paying a higher fee for 6 months to one year to maintain these boxes and to receive mails promptly.
My worry is if this is illegal or could potentially run foul of CIC if the address is checked and found to be not a real residential address.

Very worried with no solution in sight with the landing date arriving soon.

Thanks,
R