+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Short landing" – how to receive PR Card without relative/friend in Canada

Hyokoon

Jan 7, 2017
Hi friends,

Can we have our PR cards hand carried back to our home country by someone, could be our relative or friend?

I heard each PR card has a RFID chip on it. But I'm not sure when you come to custom, it will be automatically detected or you have to put it in a card reader. Let say it can be detected automatically, what happens if you have 3 or 4 cards with you?

Is it legal to mail PR card to our home country?

Thanks!

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Hyokoon said:
Hi friends,

Can we have our PR cards hand carried back to our home country by someone, could be our relative or friend?

I heard each PR card has a RFID chip on it. But I'm not sure when you come to custom, it will be automatically detected or you have to put it in a card reader. Let say it can be detected automatically, what happens if you have 3 or 4 cards with you?

Is it legal to mail PR card to our home country?

Thanks!
You are worrying too much. Canadian law does NOT prohibit sending of PR card. Even the custom found that you mail PR card, they cannot do anything.

Reactions: jackan

neelita07

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June '14
Nomination.....
October '14
AOR Received.
December '14
Dear all,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am also planning for a short landing, will provide my friend's address and she will deliver the card to my via DHL. And I found from the discussion of this thread that sending card via DHL is safe.

But I heard sometimes CIC calls back for taking photos and then ask to pick up card in person. In that case, as I will be away already, what kind of problems may arise and how to resolve that?

Please advice.

neelita07

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June '14
Nomination.....
October '14
AOR Received.
December '14
hina zaidi said:
open ups MAil box. they will send your pr card after you did short landing to your home country address.

i did that and many other also. you hv to search right location of po box. every UPS office has different rates.

you can pick near to metro or tram station.
Dear Hina,

May I know when did you complete landing, how long you stayed? Within how many days you received back your card?

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
The officers in the airport will ask you about the address that you are providing to them.

I you tell them that it is a friend's address or a UPS address. They will ask you "most probably" to call CIC once you have a residential address.

It is not legal for a anyone to receive other's PRs. It is up on your own risk if you decided to use UPS.

I did use UPS when I landed and they did send my PR to my country. I was lucky. I know others who tried this option but their PR never delivered to them.

The legal solution for this issue is to apply for a travel document once you decide to come back to Canada for settling.

Any other option that you choose might impact you when you apply for citizenship.

neelita07

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June '14
Nomination.....
October '14
AOR Received.
December '14
Sa3Sa3 said:
The officers in the airport will ask you about the address that you are providing to them.

I you tell them that it is a friend's address or a UPS address. They will ask you "most probably" to call CIC once you have a residential address.

It is not legal for a anyone to receive other's PRs. It is up on your own risk if you decided to use UPS.

I did use UPS when I landed and they did send my PR to my country. I was lucky. I know others who tried this option but their PR never delivered to them.

The legal solution for this issue is to apply for a travel document once you decide to come back to Canada for settling.

Any other option that you choose might impact you when you apply for citizenship.
How about not using UPS and instead use address of a friend/ relative? Then after receiving the card, they can bring it back to my home country in person or send via courier...
Also, as I know once PR card is issued, you cannot get travel document, so to get back to Canada the PR card is required then, right?

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
I'm sorry – but just how might citizenship application be affected by the way you receive your PR Card? By your own admission, you used UPS to receive your PR Card (which you said is not legal). I see from your signature information that you obtained Canadian citizenship?

Sa3Sa3 said:

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
neelita07 said:
Dear all,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am also planning for a short landing, will provide my friend's address and she will deliver the card to my via DHL. And I found from the discussion of this thread that sending card via DHL is safe.

But I heard sometimes CIC calls back for taking photos and then ask to pick up card in person. In that case, as I will be away already, what kind of problems may arise and how to resolve that?

Please advice.
My advice... Take an extra set of photos, leave them with your friend. In the event that CIC requires new photos, your friend can submit them.

neelita07

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June '14
Nomination.....
October '14
AOR Received.
December '14
next2015 said:
My advice... Take an extra set of photos, leave them with your friend. In the event that CIC requires new photos, your friend can submit them.
thank you so much, good idea indeed :)

tara10

Feb 16, 2017
Dear all,

Please advice.
Hey did you short land and receive your PR. How was your experience could you please share