Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
2012-05-18
Anyone know if it's possible to ship household goods ahead of PR being granted?

I'm faced with the possibility of having to move before I make the big move up and think it would be easier to move less 'stuff' later. My husband has a Secure Storage facility close by, I'm wondering how could I maybe ship some of the big stuff ahead of time.

Thoughts? Advice? Is it even possible?

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
Hi canadapeach

If you're entering Canada as a 'visitor', then you're not supposed to 'import' anything (especially big stuff) duty-free and tax-free before you land.

From CBSA website:

"As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as "personal baggage". Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border services officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods cannot be:
•used by a resident of Canada;
•used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
•be given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
• disposed of or left in Canada.

The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B (PDF, 507 KB), Temporary Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your security deposit will be refunded by mail."

CBSA website has details about what type of people (visitor, citizen, etc) can bring in what, and any exemption/allowance. You may want to check it out to see if you fall under a category other than 'visitor'.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

You may also be interested in the following thread too.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-with-spouse-while-application-is-pending-t102071.0.html

canadapeach

Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2011
Doc's Request.
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
15-07-2011
Med's Request
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
2012-05-18
GOGOGO said:
Hi canadapeach

If you're entering Canada as a 'visitor', then you're not supposed to 'import' anything (especially big stuff) duty-free and tax-free before you land.

From CBSA website:

"As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as "personal baggage". Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border services officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods cannot be:
•used by a resident of Canada;
•used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
•be given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
• disposed of or left in Canada.

The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B (PDF, 507 KB), Temporary Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your security deposit will be refunded by mail."

CBSA website has details about what type of people (visitor, citizen, etc) can bring in what, and any exemption/allowance. You may want to check it out to see if you fall under a category other than 'visitor'.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

You may also be interested in the following thread too.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-with-spouse-while-application-is-pending-t102071.0.html
Thanks GOGOGO!

I was antsy when I wrote this and trying to be proactive...no need now as I got my Passport request today and my husband and I can start making some arrangements at least.

Thanks again!