Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Will be landing in a few months. We can't carry all we want to bring and need to mail the rest, we know we need to declare at landing our "goods to follow". Currently comparing quotes for different shipping options, we only have boxes (about half size as a washing machine) to ship and come down to 2 options:

1. By shipper - charged by volume (with a cap of 30 kg per box). They offer to pack the boxes for free (which I know is a scam as they'll pack very loose). They charge 10 boxes for HK$10k, ie HK$1,000 per box. The price includes document fees but NOT insurance and unexpected storage, customs clearance, etc fees. This is a door to door quote but I need to clear customs myself with all the declaration forms. Of course, if for whatever reason I can't show up I will be charged for storage.

2. Via Post Office - charged by weight, 1 box is about HK$1200 for 30 kg.

From the above, we prefer posting via the Post Office as we get to pack ourselves and it provide flexibility on how many boxes to post vs by the shipper as they may charge unreasonably for extra boxes and other expected fees. However, we don't know what's the ease of receiving parcels posted via the Post Office in Canada. Is it a very easy process? Does it require customs clearance in person? Do they charge extra to deliver the boxes?

We will use our relative's address for delivery. Parcels will be in my name.

Please share your experience.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would rather go for the shipper / door to door service (especially if they are a world wide company and has a Vancouver office). Why do you call it a scam??? The one I hired was professional. My furniture and goods were wrapped and secured. If necessary, you can buy insurance to cover any loss.

Of course you need to show up for the customs clearance but the goods would be deliver to your home and rooms you desired. Besides, you can actually submit the forms to the nearest CBSA office after your landing in case the CBSA officer you encountered at the airport refused to handle the forms. Unlike Canada Post, the door to door guy helped us to set up our furniture and move from one floor to another.

Canada postal worker strike is another factor for consideration.

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
steaky said:
I would rather go for the shipper / door to door service (especially if they are a world wide company and has a Vancouver office). Why do you call it a scam??? The one I hired was professional. My furniture and goods were wrapped and secured. If necessary, you can buy insurance to cover any loss.

Of course you need to show up for the customs clearance but the goods would be deliver to your home and rooms you desired. Besides, you can actually submit the forms to the nearest CBSA office after your landing in case the CBSA officer you encountered at the airport refused to handle the forms. Unlike Canada Post, the door to door guy helped us to set up our furniture and move from one floor to another.

Canada postal worker strike is another factor for consideration.
I want to save as much as possible, that's why I think going through the shipper would involve a lot of hidden fees/expenses. We only have about 10 boxes to ship, no big items, no electronics, no books, no arts... just personal clothings and household accessories.

Anyone has received any big parcels mailed from overseas and know if Canada Post charge extra for customs clearance or involve any complicated procedures?

xnay

Aug 29, 2016
I want to save as much as possible, that's why I think going through the shipper would involve a lot of hidden fees/expenses. We only have about 10 boxes to ship, no big items, no electronics, no books, no arts... just personal clothings and household accessories.

Anyone has received any big parcels mailed from overseas and know if Canada Post charge extra for customs clearance or involve any complicated procedures?
What did you end up doing? How were the results?