+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping medication via DHL to Canada

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Hi..
Is there anyone here who has had experience with shipping medication to Canada? Using couriers like DHL.

I would like to know the experience, and what to anticipate.
Thanks.

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
It is possible. I've done it. At times you may have to pay a custom fee.
When are the times you had to pay customs fees? These are regular medications for blood pressure and sugar.

Since my inlaws are staying with us for a few months, I didn't want to introduce them to new brand medications from Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Reactions: YVR123

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have followed the website. But things have changed after COVID-19. I called up Border Services twice, and got different information each time.
I heard (in general) after COVID-19 people have had difficulty with Border Services, with receiving any international parcels.
In general you should not mail medication from international destinations. There is a very good chance that medication will be destroyed. Canada limits the amount of medication that you bring into Canada to a 90 day supply to also protect the Canadian drug market.

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
I don't know about other drugs... But if a particular brand of a medicine is not available in Canada, I don't want to take the risk with introducing a different brand prescription drug to my parents when they are staying with me only for a few months.

Just learnt from online tracking that customs has cleared the package for delivery to the destination.. So keeping my fingers crossed ....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't know about other drugs... But if a particular brand of a medicine is not available in Canada, I don't want to take the risk with introducing a different brand prescription drug to my parents when they are staying with me only for a few months.

Just learnt from online tracking that customs has cleared the package for delivery to the destination.. So keeping my fingers crossed ....
If it is not available in Canada that is one of the reasons why medication would be confiscated and destroyed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Brand... Brand...
Every product has brands... Even covid vaccines have brands.
If it is just a brand there would be no reason why your parents couldn’t obtain the same medication in Canada. If there isn’t pharmacy information that contains the patient and doctor information that could also lead to having the medication destroyed. In general people are only allowed to bring 90 days of medication with them when they enter Canada to protect are pharmaceutical industry. If you do get lucky this time, you will get unlucky eventually.

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Why are you so persistent on sabotaging my post, and suggesting that I'm disobeying the law of the country? Where did I suggest in my post that I'm disobeying the law? And where did I suggest that I'm shipping more than 90-days medication?

Can we close this conversation here, if the purpose is not to help? I was seeking information from any individuals who has had medications shipped to Canada, recently during COVID-19 times.

I will update in this group what happened at the end of delivery.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why are you so persistent on sabotaging my post, and suggesting that I'm disobeying the law of the country? Where did I suggest in my post that I'm disobeying the law? And where did I suggest that I'm shipping more than 90-days medication?

Can we close this conversation here, if the purpose is not to help? I was seeking information from any individuals who has had medications shipped to Canada, recently during COVID-19 times.

Your mother has already entered the country. The 90 day supply is one time when she enters. You can also research for yourself. You aren’t supposed to ship medications from outside Canada to Canada Afor a variety of reasons. There are no rules preventing your mother from going to a Canadian doctor and getting a prescription for another generic version of the medication.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html#a6

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/shipping-services/international/regulatory/prescription-reminder.html

less relevant for UPS
https://www.theupsstore.ca/shipping-medication-tips/

roshansimon

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Ignore what @canuck78 said in this post

This is an snippet from this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html#a6

Residents of Canada and visitors are permitted to bring into Canada a personal use quantity (a 90-day supply or single course of treatment) of an OTC medication, NHP, VHP or a medical device for personal use without requiring specific licences for the import.

I spoke to Canada Border services, and they agreed that when an old visitor visits Canada for a few months, there can be a health risks with switching a drug for a different brand. Which is why they allow imports of drugs for 90-days. As long as Health Canada approves of the medication. There is no limit on how many times they get the medication shipped, but it's limited to 90-day medication in each parcel. (Permanent resident holders and citizens have restrictions on medications imported.)

My advice is before you get a prescribed medication shipped, talk to Border Services on what is the latest rules. And if possible, get an email acceptance from Health Canada of the drugs you are getting shipped.

My in-laws received their package without any issues. Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ortega.konate

JGMF22

Star Member
Feb 10, 2022
Hello @roshansimon I am glad your in laws received their medication without problem

I am in a similar situation, may I ask what courier service did you use?
also, did you included in the package a letter explaining the situation or something else?

Thank you!