+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping car to Canada from US

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

I am planning to move to Canada in July first week I am currently in California and plan to move to Toronto.

My Questions are as follows:

1. Is it better to Drive into Canada or ship my car there?
2. What is the best way to ship my car to Canada? If Shipping, how is the import duty calculated?

Thanks.

Akash

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
1. Economics wise, driving will still be cheaper from California to Toronto, even when including overnight hotel/motel stays and fuel. My rough estimate is transport companies will quote you upwards of $3K for shipping.

2. If you are moving on a PR for the first time ("landing"), import duty is waived for your belongings, including the car. You will have to pay other fees for registering your vehicle in ON

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
1. Economics wise, driving will still be cheaper from California to Toronto, even when including overnight hotel/motel stays and fuel. My rough estimate is transport companies will quote you upwards of $3K for shipping.

2. If you are moving on a PR for the first time ("landing"), import duty is waived for your belongings, including the car. You will have to pay other fees for registering your vehicle in ON
Thank you for your reply. I have already landed in Canada once on my PR, to do my Initial Landing. So if I drive through the border then would I need to pay the import duty. Id yes, how much will that be? And is there a way to avoid that duty.

Thanks.

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Did you declare you car in the Goods to Follow list when you landed the first time ?
I think the threshold for import duties is C$10K. Cars with a book value less than that do not attract any duty.

AkashPatel1990

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Did you declare you car in the Goods to Follow list when you landed the first time ?
I think the threshold for import duties is C$10K. Cars with a book value less than that do not attract any duty.
Thank you. I did not declare the car in the goods to follow. Is it possible to do it now?

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Would highly depent on the officer you are dealing with on that day. When i brought my car, they specifically asked to see whether I had mentioned my car in the Goods to Follow list i submitted on my first landing.

Raviteja775

Dec 16, 2023
Hello

I just received my CoPR through spousal sponsorship. I’m planning to travel to visit my wife temporarily for the first time on CoPR but visited her using visitor visa before. In declaration if I add my car to the list of things to follow with license plate number for now is enough? Or is there a procedure to follow? I’m not shipping it yet, I will move from California after few months. I’m just doing a soft landing. Please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

I just received my CoPR through spousal sponsorship. I’m planning to travel to visit my wife temporarily for the first time on CoPR but visited her using visitor visa before. In declaration if I add my car to the list of things to follow with license plate number for now is enough? Or is there a procedure to follow? I’m not shipping it yet, I will move from California after few months. I’m just doing a soft landing. Please advise.
Why not use the VIN instead? One can easily change the license plate but I'm not sure if one change the VIN. Besides, what happen if you get rid of the current one and later attach the same car plate on a new model?