+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Share your experience about last minute hearing canceled

neverstop

Star Member
Mar 9, 2022
Hello, Everyone

I was scheduled for hearing On 30th August but when me and my family was ready for video conferencing interview. Then last moment someone called to my lawyer from Ottawa and said the hearing is canceled because of emergency situation happens for council member.

I would like to know your experience. After how many days you get your next hearing schedule?
Do you feel that next scheduled hearing infact worked in your favour or makes it hard for you.?
Do you really think that this emergency is genuine?

After 4 year continuously struggling in canada, I was mentally so prepared for this hearing. And now again back to zero without knowing when they gonna schedule next hearing.

Kindly share your experience if you went through same situation. It will help me understand this situation.

Thank You

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello, Everyone

I was scheduled for hearing On 30th August but when me and my family was ready for video conferencing interview. Then last moment someone called to my lawyer from Ottawa and said the hearing is canceled because of emergency situation happens for council member.

I would like to know your experience. After how many days you get your next hearing schedule?
Do you feel that next scheduled hearing infact worked in your favour or makes it hard for you.?
Do you really think that this emergency is genuine?

After 4 year continuously struggling in canada, I was mentally so prepared for this hearing. And now again back to zero without knowing when they gonna schedule next hearing.

Kindly share your experience if you went through same situation. It will help me understand this situation.

Thank You
It depends on your lawyer availability and members. if member is available the next close date, and your lawyer is too then expect it soon. Its not a good or bad sign, emergency happens

Reactions: canuck78

Hussein B

Sep 18, 2022
it happened to me and it got canceled on the day of the hearing by the judge due to a duplicate appointment. as mentioned above, your lawyer and the judge will agree on the next available date based on their availability and this can be the next day or any date they both agree on. revert to your lawyer in this matter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I filed the case in Ontario but I'm living in calgary so no need to go ontario for hearing. Can I join hearing on my laptop from calgary?
Did you update your address? Often the virtual hearings are in the offices but the member is virtual so that members from other provinces can hear cases in Ontario and Quebec that have the majority of cases. You should receive instructions on where to go for the virtual hearing whether it is IRB, lawyer’s office, etc. Does your lawyer know that you’ve moved provinces? If you are receiving legal aid while living in another province you may no longer qualify for legal aid in that province.

Kashif111111

Star Member
Sep 24, 2022
Are you going to be travelling to Ontario for your hearing? You are required to update IRB if you move.
Yes I'm going to ontario for hearing. Two accommodation in canada one is ontario and other in alberta. My sister living in alberta. I will work in alberta but going to ontario for hearing. This time If I change my address then my hearing will be delay so therefore I maintain same address.

Last edited:

Kashif111111

Star Member
Sep 24, 2022
I change my address one province to other province So it will affect my hearing date or not which is coming in November this year? If any body know please let me know

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I change my address one province to other province So it will affect my hearing date or not which is coming in November this year? If any body know please let me know
Updating your residential address is not an option. If you are living in Calgary you must declare your current address to IRB. You can keep your mailing address your lawyer’s address.

Kashif111111

Star Member
Sep 24, 2022
Updating your residential address is not an option. If you are living in Calgary you must declare your current address to IRB. You can keep your mailing address your lawyer’s address.
Thanks for guidance.
I told my lawyer to change my address yesterday.How many days does the address get updated?