+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Share virtual hearing experience and timeline(Tips for Study Permit)

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
AOR- May 2021
Medical & Biometrics- June 2021
Eligibility interview- August 2021 (Took 20 mins, only asked 1 question and went through documents in 10 minutes.)
Work Permit - Oct 2021
Study Permit - Nov 2021 (If all of your courses are online, you can start the studying program without getting study permit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/other-considerations.html)

got email to Schedule hearing - Aug 2022
virtual hearing - Nov 29th 2022

My hearing is not considered as less complex, but the hearing only went for half an hour. The board member made the positive decision.
Thank you for this forum always providing many useful info.

The board member asked questions based on the BOC form. I suggest you prepare the hearing just familiar with what happened to you, i know most of us going through the traumatic events made us seeking protection and the refugee process can be long, so we may not remember everything, but reading through BOC helps to remember again. Just tell the truth of what happened. The board member can make the decision fast! If there is a question that you don't know, dont guess, just say you don't know.

Be authentic!

God bless all of you! Good luck!

Last edited:

Kashif111111

Star Member
Sep 24, 2022
AOR- May 2021
Eligibility interview- August 2021 (Took 20 mins, only asked 1 question and went through documents in 10 minutes.)
Work Permit - Oct 2021
Study Permit - Nov 2021 (If all of your courses are online, you can start the studying program without getting study permit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/other-considerations.html)

Scheduled hearing - Aug 2022

My hearing is not considered as less complex, but the hearing only went for half an hour. The board member made the positive decision.

The board member asked questions based on the BOC form. I suggest you prepare the hearing just familiar with what happened to you, i know most of us going through the traumatic events made us seeking protection and the refugee process can be long, so we may not remember everything, but reading through BOC helps to remember again. Just tell the truth of what happened. The board member can make the decision fast! If there is a question that you don't know, dont guess, just say you don't know.

Be authentic!

Do they listen to the whole story or just ask short questions?

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Do they listen to the whole story or just ask short questions?
they know the whole story, even though i was trying to tell again, but i got interrupted to stop. In my case, just short questions.
It's similar question to BOC form. Who do you think gonna harm you? How? Why?

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Congratulation !!!! Scheduled hearing - Aug 2022 was changed to November 29th? Any reason? TIA
thank you!!!! Finally, I have the peace to stay in Canada. I didn't write clearly, i got an email in Aug told me hearing date to choose. I choose the earliest, which was yesterday.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
AOR- May 2021
Work Permit - Oct 2021

Be authentic!

wow this is good news did you get the school admissions first before applying for a study permit. Are you paying international fee or local fee.Did you have a lawyer

Last edited:

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
wow this is good news did you get the school admissions first before applying for a study permit. Are you paying international fee or local fee.Did you have a lawyer
Yes, You have to get admitted before applying for a study permit. I asked my school that I will still need to pay international fees before I get my PR. An accepted refugee status still considers as an international student. Good news - There are many bursaries available. It takes time to find those. I applied a lot different kind of bursaries and got 3 of them covered my international student fees.

I had a lawyer at the beginning, but I don't have enough money to pay for the lawyer anymore. This summer, I decided to take on my refugee claim by myself as my case is a no-brainer for anyone to read through the BOC. I would still use a lawyer if I have the money to pay, but unfortunately I need to go to school while working part-time to feed a big family.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
Did you have a lawyer
Yes, You have to get admitted before applying for a study permit. I asked my school that I will still need to pay international fees before I get my PR. An accepted refugee status still considers as an international student. Good news - There are many bursaries available. It takes time to find those. I applied a lot different kind of bursaries and got 3 of them covered my international student fees.

I had a lawyer at the beginning, but I don't have enough money to pay for the lawyer anymore. This summer, I decided to take on my refugee claim by myself as my case is a no-brainer for anyone to read through the BOC. I would still use a lawyer if I have the money to pay, but unfortunately I need to go to school while working part-time to feed a big family.
thanks so much all the best in everything i will ask about the bursaries once i get admissions. i realised i need to do prerequisite before admissions

Saralynn97

Mar 7, 2018
AOR- May 2021
Work Permit - Oct 2021

Be authentic!

I’m so happy to hear such a positive story, I’m glad you are accepted I wish you all the best, I have one question thou, did you apply at the border or inside Canada ?

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
I’m so happy to hear such a positive story, I’m glad you are accepted I wish you all the best, I have one question thou, did you apply at the border or inside Canada ?
Thank you! I applied inside Canada and didn't apply immediately when I landed in Canada, so the board member also asked me why I delay in my claim.
Just have to be honest, and tell life circumstances.

bfour

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
hello everyone. I had a hearing and I passed my hearing. so I am now convention refugee. I want to go to Seneca College one of the computer programming. I need to take a course for my English since its not enough and I do not have ielts score. as I know if the upgrading program is not more than 6 months I do not need a study permit. but they have been telling me I must have a valid study permit.i do not want to waste my time again waiting for study permit. Is there anyone who can give me advice about this. thank you.

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
hello everyone. I had a hearing and I passed my hearing. so I am now convention refugee. I want to go to Seneca College one of the computer programming. I need to take a course for my English since its not enough and I do not have ielts score. as I know if the upgrading program is not more than 6 months I do not need a study permit. but they have been telling me I must have a valid study permit.i do not want to waste my time again waiting for study permit. Is there anyone who can give me advice about this. thank you.
Three ways to do that, 1. show admissions office with IRCC website that less than 6 months program doesn't require a study permit.
2. Find an online program to study English, and then take an IELTS test
3. find a local community English class offered to newcomers, the cost is cheap.

bfour

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Three ways to do that, 1. show admissions office with IRCC website that less than 6 months program doesn't require a study permit.
2. Find an online program to study English, and then take an IELTS test
3. find a local community English class offered to newcomers, the cost is cheap.
Thank you really so much. I have some friends that went to humber college or george brown and they didn’t require a valid study permit. Yes you are right. I will show them this page. Cause this english upgrading program just 14 weeks in seneca college. I want to go to a program in seneca. I wanted just take this course in there and go to program directly without any exam or ielts. Let’s see :(