+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Several doubts about residence, address, driver's licence, OHIP and taxes

joaquinfawler

Feb 20, 2023
Hello

I am a new permanent resident with my family. We are going to do a soft landing in July for 2/3 weeks and then we will come back in March 2024, always in Ontario (somewhere in the GTA).

I have several doubts about my address and residence in Ontario and my driver's licence, OHIP, and tax forms. I have reviewed the information provided on the official websites and NextStopCanada but I could not solve them yet.

After my soft landing, I am not going to live regularly in Ontario since March 2024 but I will have a mailing address in Ontario since July and also a bank account linked to that address in Ontario.

On the one side, I'm planning to obtain my Ontario driver's licence converting my out-of-province licence. I have 2+ years of driving experience (no exchange). I will bring all the required documents, and take the eye test and the written test (previous booking).

On the other hand, I'm planning to apply for the OHIP in July 2023.

My questions are:
  1. When I will be considered a new resident of Ontario? In July 2023 or in March 2024? Can I keep my residence in Ontario since July 2023 with my mailing address?
  2. Should I need to present my tax forms in 2024 for the 2023 year taking into account my soft-landing and mailing address?
  3. The 60 days period to convert my out-of-province licence will start to be counted on July 2023 or in March 2024?
  4. When I book an appointment to the written test for the licence driver, it implies that I am also booking an appointment for the road test? Or there are two different appointments? I am going to be able to take the road test in the same moment and day to obtain the full licence?
  5. If I lost my OHIP coverage because I am not going to be physically present in Ontario between July 2023 and March 2024, can I reapply for it? Such reapplication is as easy as the first application or some additional requirements will apply?
Thank you for your assistance on these issues.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

I am a new permanent resident with my family. We are going to do a soft landing in July for 2/3 weeks and then we will come back in March 2024, always in Ontario (somewhere in the GTA).

I have several doubts about my address and residence in Ontario and my driver's licence, OHIP, and tax forms. I have reviewed the information provided on the official websites and NextStopCanada but I could not solve them yet.

After my soft landing, I am not going to live regularly in Ontario since March 2024 but I will have a mailing address in Ontario since July and also a bank account linked to that address in Ontario.

On the one side, I'm planning to obtain my Ontario driver's licence converting my out-of-province licence. I have 2+ years of driving experience (no exchange). I will bring all the required documents, and take the eye test and the written test (previous booking).

On the other hand, I'm planning to apply for the OHIP in July 2023.

My questions are:
  1. When I will be considered a new resident of Ontario? In July 2023 or in March 2024? Can I keep my residence in Ontario since July 2023 with my mailing address?
  2. Should I need to present my tax forms in 2024 for the 2023 year taking into account my soft-landing and mailing address?
  3. The 60 days period to convert my out-of-province licence will start to be counted on July 2023 or in March 2024?
  4. When I book an appointment to the written test for the licence driver, it implies that I am also booking an appointment for the road test? Or there are two different appointments? I am going to be able to take the road test in the same moment and day to obtain the full licence?
  5. If I lost my OHIP coverage because I am not going to be physically present in Ontario between July 2023 and March 2024, can I reapply for it? Such reapplication is as easy as the first application or some additional requirements will apply?
Thank you for your assistance on these issues.
If you are not planning to actually live in Ontario until March of next year, you will not have (or even need) OHIP, sinc eit would be useless if you are not there, right? I believe there is a 3 month waiting period (if you were to get it if you were landing permanently this July. If you wait until next year (when you`move' back to Ontario there may be a longer waiting period as you would not be considered a newcomer to Canada. That wait could be 6 months, but check for yourself as I am not certain about that.

1. Having a mailing address in Ontario while you are living (residing) elsewhere will likely not deem you a new resident.
2. Will defer to others
3. Since you will possibly need something other than your landing papers to get an Ontario DL (may need the PR Card), you may have to wait until you actually settle in Ontario next March.
https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/how-to-get-a-drivers-licence-in-ontario/
4. Can't comment as I'm not in Onterrible...er, Ontario. :D
5. Unless you ARE able to get OHIP in July (doubtful) you will not be reapplying in 2024; just getting it for the first time with that possible longer waiting period.

joaquinfawler

Feb 20, 2023
Thank you. Now there is no waiting period in Ontario since 2020. I would like to have OHIP for the first month in Ontario during this July and also immediately after my definitive landing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Now there is no waiting period in Ontario since 2020. I would like to have OHIP for the first month in Ontario during this July and also immediately after my definitive landing.
If you don’t plan on remaining in Ontario for over 6 months, the first 5 out of 6 months and make Ontario your permanent home you don’t qualify to apply for OHIP. If you do apply knowing that you will not be meeting the RO to qualify for OHIP that is healthcare fraud. If you commit fraud and don’t meet the RO needed to qualify for OHIP you can be asked to repay all the healthcare you used that you weren’t entitled to. You should be taking out emergency travel medical insurance for your short landing and apply for OHIP when you permanently settle in Ontario and plan on meeting the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP. There is a good chance the 3 month wait period will return soon as other Covid health policies have also recently been stopped and pre-pandemic policies are starting again.

Assume your goal is not to become a tax resident so need to minimize your ties to Canada/Ontario. In general would discourage setting up any ties to Canada like bank accounts and even a driver license. You can verify with CRA whether what you are are setting up will make you a tax resident. CRA has a program that helps you determine whether you are a tax resident or not.

Where is your current driving license from? Have you been living in Canada as on WP or SP?