+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement Move Concern

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
I became a Canadian landed immigrant in early 2014, but after that came back to the US. My 3 out of 5 year stay in Canada expires early 2017. After Trump won the US election I noticed a large group of Americans are wanting to get into Canada. Wondering if I move to Canada early 2017 (when I still meet the initial PR criteria) can the Canadian Immigration stop my entry just because I did not make any attempt to settle in Canada since my Landing? The logical answer should be NO, but seeing the sudden interest of people from US trying to get into Canada after Trump got elected, wanted to get a sense of whether I could be denied entry into Canada even if I maintained the PR terms and conditions?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thinkin said:
I became a Canadian landed immigrant in early 2014, but after that came back to the US. My 3 out of 5 year stay in Canada expires early 2017. After Trump won the US election I noticed a large group of Americans are wanting to get into Canada. Wondering if I move to Canada early 2017 (when I still meet the initial PR criteria) can the Canadian Immigration stop my entry just because I did not make any attempt to settle in Canada since my Landing? The logical answer should be NO, but seeing the sudden interest of people from US trying to get into Canada after Trump got elected, wanted to get a sense of whether I could be denied entry into Canada even if I maintained the PR terms and conditions?
No.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thinkin said:
As long as you meet the residency obligation, you will have no problems returning.

Sounds like you're cutting it very close though. Keep in mind if you return back to Canada just before spending 3 years outside, you'll basically need to stay in Canada for 2 straight years without leaving to maintain the RO in first 5 years.

gurdigan

Jul 5, 2019
kampla
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ugand
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
sports
Doc's Request.
somalia
Nomination.....
galo
AOR Received.
ma fadumo
IELTS Request
yin
File Transfer...
muqdisho
Med's Request
canada
Med's Done....
canafa
Interview........
kampla
Passport Req..
somali
VISA ISSUED...
canada visa
LANDED..........
student
I am somali Iive ugand I am regugee I need help please help me

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
I am somali Iive ugand I am regugee I need help please help me
If you want to claim Asylum you will want to get out of the country so you won't be injured or killed. Yup, asylum is a SERIOUS matter. That is why you must go to ANOTHER country to register with the UNHCR: this is the United Nations Refugee Agency. The only way to get to Canada is to be here already. You would have to get a Travel Authorization and get the airline to let you on which they won't do. Incorrect papers NO flight. So you can't claim asylum in Canada; you will have to do it near home, hence the reason to go to another country. In the country you go to will be an UNHCR refugee camp with Medical resources. After a while you will be sent to your final home. You will be safe BUT THE COUNTRY THEY SEND YOU TO MAY NOT BE CANADA.

UNHCR: https://www.unhcr.org/