+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settle anywhere outside GTA for better life

NewRN

Dec 30, 2019
This forum was helpful throughout my anxious immigration process and I am finally settled here. The only mistake I did was landing and trying to settle around GTA. For those who are about to land in Canada, choose a place beyond GTA or Vancouver. There is no benefit of landing or trying to start over in a place where all your money will go towards housing. I landed in Toronto and lived in a crappy basement with a rent of 1600, then moved to an apartment for 2000. We decided to buy a house and nothing was less than 900000 CAD and almost always someone or other was ready to bid above asking. Finally, we decided to move out of GTA. I got a job offer in Ottawa and bought a house in Gatineau. I earn the same amount, pay less for housing, and am more peaceful. My other friend moved to Calgary and feels the same. Especially if you are a nurse, there is no reason to stay in GTA. So, my only advice is to research places other than GTA or Vancouver to settle and move there as soon as you land. Good Luck all!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It comes down with affordability. If one can afford GTA or Vancouver, they can still have a good life living (in a detached house, for example).

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Toronto and Vancouver are indeed in top 10 expensive places to live in world, if you don't have a strong reason to stay there ex. weather, work, family and can get similar opportunities elsewhere, it makes sense to go elsewhere.

As steaky says, those who can afford find it to be a great place.

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
Hi iam an electrical engineer and i will be landing to ontario province.
Can someone help me which is the best area to settle ( cheap rent) and how can i start.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone help me which is the best area to settle ( cheap rent) and how can i start.
Anywhere in Ontario? How much rent you can afford monthly?

Reactions: Naturgrl

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
Ontario is pretty huge and spread out.
You may get a single room condo for 1800+ in DT Toronto or a 2BR spacious apartment in in St.Catharines for 1300+.
Depends on where you'll be searching for jobs, family size etc

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
Ontario is pretty huge and spread out.
You may get a single room condo for 1800+ in DT Toronto or a 2BR spacious apartment in in St.Catharines for 1300+.
Depends on where you'll be searching for jobs, family size etc
Toronto is expensive am thinking between ottawa or Kingston to settle in?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Toronto is expensive am thinking between ottawa or Kingston to settle in?
So Ottawa or Kingston as that is a two+ hour drive between the two. Between the two are rural communities with few rentals and if you can find a rental, it is expensive. Have you done any job searching? Ottawa may have more opportunities. Define “cheap.” Do you plan to have car? If not, focus on living in cities with transportation systems.

Last edited:

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
So Ottawa or Kingston as that is a two+ hour drive between the two. Between the two are rural communities with few rentals and if you can find a rental, it is expensive. Have you done any job searching? Ottawa may have more opportunities. Define “cheap.” Do you plan to have car? If not, focus on living in cities with transportation systems.
Still i haven't landed.
Cheap: in rental compared to toronto rents.
What u prefer for me as a new comer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Still i haven't landed.
Cheap: in rental compared to toronto rents.
What u prefer for me as a new comer.
How many bedrooms are you looking for? Anywhere (other than Toronto)?

Between Ottawa and KIngston are not really rural. In the past, I stayed in Gananoque ON and it's a small town near the St. Lawrence River.

Said1010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
How many bedrooms are you looking for? Anywhere (other than Toronto)?

Between Ottawa and KIngston are not really rural. In the past, I stayed in Gananoque ON and it's a small town near the St. Lawrence River.
Iam coming with my wife still no kids (1bed room is enough)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will depend on where you can get a job. Would suggest landing somewhere in Canada and applying for jobs throughout Canada. Will really depend on what types of jobs you and your spouse are looking for and your area of specialization. Would go where you can find the best job when factoring salary and cost of living. In some industries the majority of jobs are in the most expensive cities. You also need to factor in cost of transportation. Insome locations you will need e or two cars to get to work.