+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seriously confused please help

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship shortly. The only problem is I want to go to home country after applying. I do want to apply for citizenship but I guess I won't be able to stay in Canada after applying because of home country family issues.

Should I apply for citizenship?
What are the real benefits of citizenship if I stay in home country?

I am from third world, so canadian passport is definitely a plus point for travel free.

What else?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Hi

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship shortly. The only problem is I want to go to home country after applying. I do want to apply for citizenship but I guess I won't be able to stay in Canada after applying because of home country family issues.

I am from third world, so canadian passport is definitely a plus point for travel free.

What else?
Do you have any plans to.come back? If yes, then apply.
Would you be available for taking the test and Oath? You can travel to home country, but would want to ensure that all mails go to a Canadian address. Also you would have to travel twice (test and Oath).
To the questionon should you become a Citizen? It is a privilege and a personal decision.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi

What else?
Does your home country allow you to hold dual citizenship? If not, you have to figure out which citizenship you want..

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
If you plan to live in your home country for long period of time , the main benefit is you won’t have to worry about maintaining your PR status and can come back anytime you want . But if you don’t plan on coming back to live in Canada , there’s probably not so much point of getting the citizenship other than the visa/travel convenience .... but considering the $600+ app fee, and the travel expenses of coming back for test and again for oath, that’s probably more than enough money for visa fees without the Canadian passport

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
Whether you have plans to come back to Canada or not, APPLY for your citizenship and get your passport. If you have to travel back twice for the oath and test. then do it. I promise that you will regret it if you do not.

I am also from a developing country and free travel alone is more than enough to make me invest the time to get it. Also think of your kids, family, healthcare and future opportunities it affords. Having Canadian citizenship affords you numerous benefits that you don't realize until you actually need it.

Please APPLY for your own good :)

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
The US visa alone is 160 USD, UK visa (6 months visa) is approx. ~ 300 CAD.

Except you don't ever plan to leave your home country and even at that still apply.

Philly898

Star Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi

What else?
One thing to keep in mind is that it appears you need to let IRCC know if you plan to leave for more than two weeks in a row after you apply for citizenship: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

I am guessing they will need a date that you plan to return to Canada so it may be a little tricky for you if you plan to return to your home country for an indefinite amount of time after applying? Not 100% clear on this though...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi

What else?
The best thing in life is to have options, and that includes which countries you can live, travel and work.

Plans change with time and nothing is set in stone. Since you qualify for citizenship now, then go ahead and apply.
You would definitely have to fly-in for interview and oath...but this isn't news, there are other people who did that and were OK with it.

yasir22

Jun 5, 2014
ontario
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
21-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-04-2015
File Transfer...
SA on 30-07-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
upfront med.: 7-04-2014 and re-med.: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
DM on 2-06-2015, PPR on 05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa issued: 02-07-2015, Received: 07-07-2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
It's best that you apply for citizenship. Right now it might seem that it won't benefit you, but maybe in future circumstances changes and you want to come back or you want to travel. As ppl above said having options is a good thing.