+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2021 - Citizenship Applications

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
My security screening is not done either. Is the part under security blank in your IRCC ATIP notes? For me it does not event state "not started" and it worries me.
Yes mine is blank. I got confirmation by getting CSIS and CBSA notes (ask for security screening case details). They won't give any specific details, only if security screening is in progress and when it started.

It seems an unusual number of people have security screening in progress for a long time. According to their annual reports they process roughly 300,000 citizenship files a year and 99.96% are processed quickly. Only 0.04% (1 in 2500 cases) usually require a report, which takes 12-18 months to prepare. But according to the forums here, 10-15% of people have security screening in progress since 2021. Something is going on. I don't know if it would be possible to launch some collective/class legal action to get the ball moving.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
April 2022. MP office said security assessments vary from person to person. Idk what to do next except ordering GCMS.
You may want to try finding out whether it’s CSIS or CBSA that’s holding up your file. From my research, CSIS can sit on files for a long time if they suspect anything out of the ordinary (not just obvious terror threats). In some instances, your name comes up on a “watch list” or there’s a poison pen letter. Something or the other to warrant further investigations. Studying Federal mandamus legal cases, it seems they're notoriously slow at this task and the more serious the issue (in their eyes), the longer they make you wait- sometimes to get info from foreign governments, but sometimes without explanation. In some instances, files mysteriously get "lost in transit" for a year or two then reappear. In some cases they look at a file once or twice a year and kick it down the road.

CSIS is a highly secretive and unaccountable organization and apart from formal complaints to the security intelligence review committee (which tend to be dismissed - reading the annual reports), there’s not much one can do but wait it out or are lucky to become eligible for urgent processing.

That said, it could have something to do with the backlog. June/July applicants have been seeing background cleared recently so we may be a few months away from approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riz_Sep2021

vimal3134

Star Member
Aug 27, 2017
You may want to try finding out whether it’s CSIS or CBSA that’s holding up your file. From my research, CSIS can sit on files for a long time if they suspect anything out of the ordinary (not just obvious terror threats). In some instances, your name comes up on a “watch list” or there’s a poison pen letter. Something or the other to warrant further investigations. Studying Federal mandamus legal cases, it seems they're notoriously slow at this task and the more serious the issue (in their eyes), the longer they make you wait- sometimes to get info from foreign governments, but sometimes without explanation. In some instances, files mysteriously get "lost in transit" for a year or two then reappear. In some cases they look at a file once or twice a year and kick it down the road.

CSIS is a highly secretive and unaccountable organization and apart from formal complaints to the security intelligence review committee (which tend to be dismissed - reading the annual reports), there’s not much one can do but wait it out or are lucky to become eligible for urgent processing.

That said, it could have something to do with the backlog. June/July applicants have been seeing background cleared recently so we may be a few months away from approval.
Thanks for information, If background checking is stucked at security and criminality is cleared, we should raised request with CSIS or CBSA ? Thanks in advance

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for information, If background checking is stucked at security and criminality is cleared, we should raised request with CSIS or CBSA ? Thanks in advance
Try getting atip notes from CBSA. Specifically request security screening information under the privacy act. This will reveal further info on your background screening activities.