+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***September 2020 INLAND Spousal PR***

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hello! We have submitted our application on September 1. Received biometrics reminder email and no words since then which is making us worried now.
Is there any way we can track down what’s exactly going on with our application? Thank you!

JuniWolf

Jun 25, 2018
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-09-2020
AOR Received.
07-04-2021
Hello! We have submitted our application on September 1. Received biometrics reminder email and no words since then which is making us worried now.
Is there any way we can track down what’s exactly going on with our application? Thank you!
It's pretty normal at this point to not hear anything else. I think most people have not heard much besides the biometrics reminder email. It looks to me like they stopped doing the prospective AORs - I did not receive one and there's a definite end point of people receiving them in the spreadsheet.

You can call them up frequently to inquire about your application if you want / have the time. I have seen people suggest ordering GCMS notes frequently. I myself am just waiting.

Reactions: Cherrypaul

dreamscanadian

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-10-2020
My lawyer in NS and my coworker's lawyer in Quebec have both advised that we are fine to work remotely for an American company while in Canada as long as we are not taking the place of a Canadian. My employer is American-only so we are fine.

Just a little add-in here - Our lawyer said the same but also advised us to be careful of the tax statuses. Since you are technically in Canada and clearly not here for just a business/visitor stay -the company you work for and you could have an extra tax liability. (This is why a lot of American companies specify where remote they allow.)

JuniWolf

Jun 25, 2018
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-09-2020
AOR Received.
07-04-2021
Just a little add-in here - Our lawyer said the same but also advised us to be careful of the tax statuses. Since you are technically in Canada and clearly not here for just a business/visitor stay -the company you work for and you could have an extra tax liability. (This is why a lot of American companies specify where remote they allow.)
My understanding is that I will be applying to pay my taxes in BOTH Canada and the U.S. once I have residency, but since I am an American citizen, it should not affect my employer's tax situation. I am going to double check with my work this week and will get back. We have at least one and maybe two other employees who are residents in Canada but American citizens so I'll inquire about that situation. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: dreamscanadian

dreamscanadian

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-10-2020
My understanding is that I will be applying to pay my taxes in BOTH Canada and the U.S. once I have residency, but since I am an American citizen, it should not affect my employer's tax situation. I am going to double-check with my work this week and will get back. We have at least one and maybe two other employees who are residents in Canada but American citizens so I'll inquire about that situation. Thanks for the reminder!
From all the things I have been told and my experience - Once you have your PR even though you are an American citizen, you are physically in Canada as a resident of Canada. Tax law is based on where the employee is physically doing the job. My taxes were different based on what state/location I was in - my company would have to switch to a Canadian PEO once I am legally a Canadian Resident and not an American Resident.

I was told that once that switch happened - Employers can 1) hire you as an independent contractor( then you pay ALL the taxes) 2) create a Canadian entity or 3) hire a PEO. It is definitely worth a mention :) I am sure if your company already had employees who reside in Canada then they know this already- but also be careful continuing to work for them if you don't yet have an OWP or PR because if they have these things already set up it could be seen as you taking a potential Canadian job.

Another thing to note, when my husband works for an American company and then files his taxes (as a dually) He ALWAYS owes significant Canadian taxes.

Let me know when you learn more - because this is what is keeping me from applying to new remote jobs (as I am not working currently). US remote employers want to hire US remote because they are only set up for those tax situations and the ones set up for the Canada physical location I have to have an OWP/PR for....

This is why my lawyer calls it a tricky/grey area and advised us to be careful.

Fishy79

Mar 5, 2020
Hi Guys , added my details to the spreadsheet ( Hopefully ). Nice to find a group going through the same stressful process.

Thanks

Rich

Reactions: dreamscanadian

KN454

Jul 10, 2017
Category........
FAM

dingledorf

Oct 2, 2020
Hi I just checked the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LxDFjvZn-XR9uZpGbPTORYKQf0BMquSXNw0RvmqvZNU/edit#gid=833586296

There are so many people in Sep and Oct applicants who have already received prospect AOR but seems IRCC stopped sending AoR I guess? This gives me great anxiety that why I, and my husband, haven't received any biometric reminder email or anything from IRCC. Also, I'm wondering why some people have received biometric reminder emails and some don't.
You're not alone. We have not received the email either which is making my wife depressed. While the emails themselves don't mean anything, any kind of progress after waiting for so long gives a peace of mind. If you want to know your prospective file number you can probably call to ask.

simon18309

Sep 17, 2020
Hi I just checked the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LxDFjvZn-XR9uZpGbPTORYKQf0BMquSXNw0RvmqvZNU/edit#gid=833586296

There are so many people in Sep and Oct applicants who have already received prospect AOR but seems IRCC stopped sending AoR I guess? This gives me great anxiety that why I, and my husband, haven't received any biometric reminder email or anything from IRCC. Also, I'm wondering why some people have received biometric reminder emails and some don't.
I just received my prospect AOR yesterday. Sep 28th applicants. Don't worry about it. It will come when it has to come. :)

KN454

Jul 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
You're not alone. We have not received the email either which is making my wife depressed. While the emails themselves don't mean anything, any kind of progress after waiting for so long gives a peace of mind. If you want to know your prospective file number you can probably call to ask.
Thank you so much for the response.
Yes, it is really depressing we haven't received anything from IRCC and see others' progress.
Thank you so much, it is really nice to know that this situation is not only happened to me :)
We really hope to see any progress in the next couple of weeks or within next January, so just cross the fingers.
Hope you and your wife's application process is going well as well!

nazh

Jul 28, 2020
Hi,

I sponsored my partner and we submitted his application on September 4, 2020 and received the AOR on September 29. He also applied for is Open Work Permit to extend his work permit. We still haven't heard back regarding the OWP. When he called they said its prospective to his sponsorship application. Does anyone know what that means? Is anyone on the same boat?