+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separate TRV for dependents when applying for Temporary Work Permit?

jahirju30

Jun 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I received a job offer with an LMIA (University Lecturer, NOC category A). I am now to apply for a temporary work permit. My family and my two US-born kids will accompany me to Canada. I have two questions.

1. does my wife need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV) independently?
2. what about my children? can I just include them in my work permit application?

Appreciate any help! Thanks for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I received a job offer with an LMIA (University Lecturer, NOC category A). I am now to apply for a temporary work permit. My family and my two US-born kids will accompany me to Canada. I have two questions.

1. does my wife need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV) independently?
2. what about my children? can I just include them in my work permit application?

Your wife should apply for SOWP (even if not working) and your children can apply for TRV. When entering the country you should make sure the visitor record for the children match the end date of your work visa. You can all apply with your work permit application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

You don't need to apply for anything ahead of time for your kids. As Americans, they can come to Canada without visas.

jahirju30

Jun 29, 2019
@canuck78,

I sincerely appreciate your kind and so quick response.

What if I want to apply for the SOWP for my wife later from inside Canada? In that case, does my wife apply for a TRV?

BTW, do I have to apply for study permit for my children before entering Canada? I have two kids: 4-year and 1-year olds.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78,

I sincerely appreciate your kind and so quick response.

What if I want to apply for the SOWP for my wife later from inside Canada? In that case, does my wife apply for a TRV?

BTW, do I have to apply for study permit for my children before entering Canada? I have two kids: 4-year and 1-year olds.
Your wife should always be applying for SOWP not TRV since she is not temporary resident she wants to live in Canada. Children don’t need study visas for elementary or secondary school. They only need TRVs. You should make sure their visa records match the end date of your work visa so you don’t have to keep extending their status.

jahirju30

Jun 29, 2019
Thanks for clearing up the SOWP issue.

But, didn't you already say that I don't have to apply for TRV for my children since they have American passports? Or, did you refer to any process after we go to Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for clearing up the SOWP issue.

But, didn't you already say that I don't have to apply for TRV for my children since they have American passports? Or, did you refer to any process after we go to Canada?
You have to get their visitor record at the borders.