+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seniors! are students immediately entitled to discounted rates as Canadians

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Dear all and specially seniors,

As soon as we have Canadian PR after landing, shall the children receive immediately the same treatment in the universities like those who have been living there for so many years (in terms of admission privileges, tuition fees, boarding, books, etc.). I am asking this because I hear that the student must be living physically for 3 preceding years in UK before he/she can be treated at par with British students, even if you carry British citizenship. So, is there something similar in Canada?

Thanks for your reply.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
As far as I know, in Canadian schools, all PRs are in the same category as citizens. It might be that some provinces have a different tuition scale for provincial residents, but I don't know of any; and some specialized schools, particularly medical schools, put long-term residents of certain areas into different categories. But in general, no -- PRs get the cheap tuition, and equal chance of admission.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
on-hold said:
As far as I know, in Canadian schools, all PRs are in the same category as citizens. It might be that some provinces have a different tuition scale for provincial residents, but I don't know of any; and some specialized schools, particularly medical schools, put long-term residents of certain areas into different categories. But in general, no -- PRs get the cheap tuition, and equal chance of admission.
Thanks on-hold. So, I understand that as soon as my daughter lands as PR, she will be treated as a citizen in the universities.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
ummi said:
one need to be 12 months old resident for getting OSAP for tuition fees.
One can still be eligible for financial support. Atleast PRs won't have to pay International student fee.

From: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/UCONT004192.html

If you have never resided in any Canadian province for 12 consecutive months in which you were not a full-time postsecondary student, you may be eligible for assistance in Ontario. If you wish to determine if you are eligible for financial assistance, contact the financial aid office at the Ontario postsecondary institution you plan to attend to discuss your situation. You may be required to provide a history of your (and your spouse or parent(s), if applicable) residency in Canada as well as documentation that confirms your date of entry into Canada (e.g., Canadian Immigration Record, Permanent Resident Card, or Protected Persons Status Document).