+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passports using VFS vs directly to the Embassy

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hello All,
please advise what are the pros/cons for each?

I sent my documents using DHL directly to the Embassy, however, in the request letter they mentioned VFS as a preferred method.

Also, has anyone been contacted by Embassy employees through Whatsapp?

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hello All,

I sent my documents using DHL directly to the Embassy, however, in the request letter they mentioned VFS as a preferred method.

You have to send the PP via VFS only. No personal courier are accepted for the PPR.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Not true, CIC said it's okay to send directly to the embassy, up to u.
The letter I received it was specifically mentioned to send the PP via VFS. No other mode was accepted.
Maybe it varies from country to country. But if it is mentioned to send it via VFS, one should do so.

Reactions: MarlenTleu88

ybhypnotic

Jan 4, 2017
Hello All,

Hey Marlen,

I had raised similar query to Canadian Embassy in Vienna. They gave me three options to submit our passports (my wife and I).
1. Regular Mail:- embassy sending back the passports would not cost any money as it would be by regular mail. But they would send it back to the address they have in their system.
2. Private Courier:- Embassy wanted a prepaid return envelope with proof of payment of courier charges. They would notify me when application would be approved and passport package would be ready for pick up. I would have to communicate with courier company for the pick up as Embassy would not communicate with courier company. On this case, embassy will send the passport package to your desired address (the one you write on prepaid-return envelop).
3. Via VAC/ VFS:- This process, I assume you are aware of and did not choose for convenience.

Note: Ultimately I had to go via VAC as I had my own technical problems. But as per my understanding what you have done sounds perfectly acceptable. But if difference Canadian Embassies work under their own convenience, you will need to confirm before proceeding.

Good luck.

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
The letter I received it was specifically mentioned to send the PP via VFS. No other mode was accepted.
Maybe it varies from country to country. But if it is mentioned to send it via VFS, one should do so.
I guess it varies, I also has changed a country of residency so I actually received two PPR emails, the original one and another email (I asked for it from CIC because I notified them about the change of place where I reside) which allowed me to submit documents not to my home country but to my country of residence. The original email mentioned VFS as the only option. The second had 3 options.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I guess it varies, I also has changed a country of residency so I actually received two PPR emails, the original one and another email (I asked for it from CIC because I notified them about the change of place where I reside) which allowed me to submit documents not to my home country but to my country of residence. The original email mentioned VFS as the only option. The second had 3 options.
Ah I see. So that explains.
If you ask me though, I would still suggest it via VFS until unless the courier you are choosing offers secure service.
The think is, passport is such a sensitive document, it can be highly misused if it goes astray.
VFS offers secure transit and take full responsibility of properly delivering the PP to the concerned office.
So until unless the courier of your choice doesn't offer secure transit, don't send it personally.

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hey Marlen,

I had raised similar query to Canadian Embassy in Vienna. They gave me three options to submit our passports (my wife and I).
1. Regular Mail:- embassy sending back the passports would not cost any money as it would be by regular mail. But they would send it back to the address they have in their system.
2. Private Courier:- Embassy wanted a prepaid return envelope with proof of payment of courier charges. They would notify me when application would be approved and passport package would be ready for pick up. I would have to communicate with courier company for the pick up as Embassy would not communicate with courier company. On this case, embassy will send the passport package to your desired address (the one you write on prepaid-return envelop).
3. Via VAC/ VFS:- This process, I assume you are aware of and did not choose for convenience.

Note: Ultimately I had to go via VAC as I had my own technical problems. But as per my understanding what you have done sounds perfectly acceptable. But if difference Canadian Embassies work under their own convenience, you will need to confirm before proceeding.

Good luck.
Yes, I preferred the second option only because I talked to local VFS office which was supposed to be a focal point to send documents...and what I have seen left me no choice but to send documents to the Embassy directly. Not a single chance to contact them through phone, barely managed to use VFS chat (you stay in line for 30 minutes then you just receive a message saying that they are busy with other clients, please try again - and it repeats over and over again). Why should I use a third party which does not reply to its customers...what type of service is that? I included an envelope inside the package with the address, unfortunately, they will send it using Aramex so I will pay upon receiving it while I personally prefer DHL. I didn't mind to travel to Abu-Dhabi but again, you can't travel with no passport?

So, how much time it takes approx? According to what I have read from other people, you can trace if your passport was stamped by checking the status in your CIC account online?

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Ah I see. So that explains.
If you ask me though, I would still suggest it via VFS until unless the courier you are choosing offers secure service.
The think is, passport is such a sensitive document, it can be highly misused if it goes astray.
VFS offers secure transit and take full responsibility of properly delivering the PP to the concerned office.
So until unless the courier of your choice doesn't offer secure transit, don't send it personally.
That's fine. I used secure envelope with DHL with insurance for passports. They will send it through Aramex. So, how much time it took to receive a passport from them ?

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
That's fine. I used secure envelope with DHL with insurance for passports. They will send it through Aramex. So, how much time it took to receive a passport from them ?
After receiving the PP, usually they take max 2 weeks to process the PP and return it back.

dimitri.kaushik

May 28, 2018
Hey Marlen

How did it go when you sent it to the Embassy of Canada, Abu Dhabi Towers address mentioned instead of VFS. Cause i just noticed 'preferred' being mentioned under VFS but already sent mine through Aramex to the Abu Dhabi embassy address following the instructions that they mention with it.

PLS do let us know how long it took for COPR and getting your PP back and if you had to face any issues.

notusman

May 26, 2017
Hey Marlen

How did it go when you sent it to the Embassy of Canada, Abu Dhabi Towers address mentioned instead of VFS. Cause i just noticed 'preferred' being mentioned under VFS but already sent mine through Aramex to the Abu Dhabi embassy address following the instructions that they mention with it.

PLS do let us know how long it took for COPR and getting your PP back and if you had to face any issues.
Hey, how much did Aramex/DHL charge you for it?

I am thinking to send through courier as well as VFS is going to charge per person and i have 5 in my family.

dimitri.kaushik

May 28, 2018
Hey, how much did Aramex/DHL charge you for it?

I am thinking to send through courier as well as VFS is going to charge per person and i have 5 in my family.
Sorry.. Don't remember the exact amount. About SR 200 (Saudi Riyal). It was Jeddah to Abu Dhabi and back. Received it in a week. Paid on return.

notusman

May 26, 2017
Sorry.. Don't remember the exact amount. About SR 200 (Saudi Riyal). It was Jeddah to Abu Dhabi and back. Received it in a week. Paid on return.
awesome. did you receive a seperate request for biometrics? i have received the ppr however no biometrics as of now and on my cic online it states biometrics is not required, we shall let you know if it changes.

dimitri.kaushik

May 28, 2018
awesome. did you receive a seperate request for biometrics? i have received the ppr however no biometrics as of now and on my cic online it states biometrics is not required, we shall let you know if it changes.
No.. And if its stated "Not Required", you don't need to provide biometrics