+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sending passport from Canada to Berlin by mail

Corofino

Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I am so excited I have just found the PPR in the mail.

The problem is, I am in Canada right now. My visitor visa runs out the end of June. So that should be enough time to be here without my passport and get it back on time to do the landing so that I won't be out of status.

But: am I allowed to send my passport to Berlin from Canada? Is a German passport "allowed" to travel internationally without its holder?
Am I allowed to stay in Canada without my passport?

Has anybody experience with that?

Thanks in advance.

K.

travelcouple

Aug 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know about German Passports particularly, but I know that many people who have applied outland who were in Canada have sent their Passport abroad to the Visa Office with no problems at all. It just takes a little longer. We had to send my spouses to London and know it will go fine.

Good Luck

Corofino

Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you for your answer.

How did you handle the return of your spouses passport?
With my PPR they sent some instructions about some "International Air Waybill" and using either DHL or FedEx. I have just talked to DHL here and they couldn't help me. According to them there is no way I could prepay the shipment from Germany to here.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Corofino said:
thank you for your answer.

How did you handle the return of your spouses passport?
With my PPR they sent some instructions about some "International Air Waybill" and using either DHL or FedEx. I have just talked to DHL here and they couldn't help me. According to them there is no way I could prepay the shipment from Germany to here.
I went to the local FedEx in Toronto and they were quite helpful with setting things up. You really don't want your passport to go through regular mail.

Corofino

Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
I went to the local FedEx in Toronto and they were quite helpful with setting things up. You really don't want your passport to go through regular mail.
no, I definitely don't want that.

I called FedEx and they told me all I had to do is create an account online and Immigration could use this account-number to send the passport back.
Is this correct? What did they do in your case?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Corofino said:
no, I definitely don't want that.

I called FedEx and they told me all I had to do is create an account online and Immigration could use this account-number to send the passport back.
I created an account and made a return envelope at the FedEx office. I don't know if it works like that, but at least they have my account number.

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
Corofino said:
This is correct. I did that way and had no problems at all. The Visa Office knew my account number with FedEx (I wrote to the VO to let them know, plus the IO called me to talk about the passport's return to Canada) and used it to mail the passport back.

In the FedEx paper there is a question about who will pay for the mailing, if it is who is sending, who is receiving, or a third person - I don't remember how it is in the form exactly, and I do not have it with me. They checked that it would be paid by a third person and wrote my FedEx account number - that is a nine-digit number. The shipment was billed to my credit card I had linked to the FedEx account.

Corofino

Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, Swede and Miryam.

Everything went exactly as you described it. And I was definitely not the first person with such a request.
Strange that the DHL people had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks again for your help. It might have sounded like a simple or stupid question but giving my passport out of my hand was a big thing for me.