+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending extra papers to VO that haven't been specifically requested?

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
I am sponsoring my Danish husband via the London VO; I just got approved to sponsor so our case has now been forwarded to England.

He and I just finished a two year higher education course equivalent to one year of a bachelor degree, which we mentioned in our application numerous times including our graduation date which was last Friday and had supporting letters from teachers/the school, etc. At our graduation last week, we got our certificates and school transcript papers, which obviously we weren't able to include in our application at the time of mailing back in November. I thought it might help our application, to prove that my husband graduated (i.e. that he's educated to better help his odds of being accepted) but would the visa office even accept it or care about it? If so, what is the normal procedure for doing something like this?

Also, just out of curiosity if anyone has any thoughts on this, how much emphasis do they place on the education of those being sponsored, i.e. do they mind if they are just high school graduated, do they have to have a university degree, etc?

I've never heard of this being done so I'm assuming we're out of luck (I don't think it matters that much, they can always request them if they want them I guess) but I just thought I'd ask :)

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

There is no harm in sending any additional certificates of the applicant for consideration of CIC. But as he is sponsored under familiy class as spouce, they are not really bothered about his education because you are the sponsor. For your satisfaction, you may send it with a covering letter quoting the file number on it.

ekristensen said:
I am sponsoring my Danish husband via the London VO; I just got approved to sponsor so our case has now been forwarded to England.

He and I just finished a two year higher education course equivalent to one year of a bachelor degree, which we mentioned in our application numerous times including our graduation date which was last Friday and had supporting letters from teachers/the school, etc. At our graduation last week, we got our certificates and school transcript papers, which obviously we weren't able to include in our application at the time of mailing back in November. I thought it might help our application, to prove that my husband graduated (i.e. that he's educated to better help his odds of being accepted) but would the visa office even accept it or care about it? If so, what is the normal procedure for doing something like this?

Also, just out of curiosity if anyone has any thoughts on this, how much emphasis do they place on the education of those being sponsored, i.e. do they mind if they are just high school graduated, do they have to have a university degree, etc?

I've never heard of this being done so I'm assuming we're out of luck (I don't think it matters that much, they can always request them if they want them I guess) but I just thought I'd ask :)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I asked about sending my college transcripts probably a month ago. The majority response was to not bother. They are more interested in seeing your relationship than your accomplishments as an individual. As a result, I do not plan on sending mine. But I only have some college experience; no degree. I'd much rather them not look at my individual stats, they're not all that impressive ;-)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
ekristensen said:
I sent them info abot both my diplomas. they even didn't check them, though all the proof of our relationship we sent was examined quite well.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
We are very much in the same boat. My husband is about to recieve a degree as well - we mentioned it in the application and showed his registration papers and anticipated graduation date. We don't plan to send anything additional. I think it's piece of mind so they know you are educated, but is in no way a requirement of being approved. The only thing in hindsight that we forgot to send were life insurance policies in each others name. We have joint bank accounts and such so I live on the fence about whether it is worth the shipping heartache again to bother sending them :)

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
I'm a little bit in shock how little emphasis they place on education! I assumed they focused on it a lot more. He's just finished this course with me but was also doing a Philosophy bachelor degree at the same time, which he is still on but should finish by the summer. And as for me, I've done this education which is, as I said, worth 1 year of university and I had some university experience before that, too - I was just worrying this wasn't "enough" because we weren't doctors or older people with complete educations and careers! I don't think I'll bother sending the papers... it would probably just be a waste of postage money.

Thank you all for your responses :) We really appreciate your input!

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Just curious ekristensen, why are you surprised? How much education you have has no bearing on your love and commitment for one another, which is what the spousal family class visa is about. If it were another class, sure, but personally I agree with the system on this one! :)

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
nyssa said:
Just curious ekristensen, why are you surprised? How much education you have has no bearing on your love and commitment for one another, which is what the spousal family class visa is about. If it were another class, sure, but personally I agree with the system on this one! :)
Oh I completely agree with the system on this one too! It's just, I've been through the immigration process before when I moved to Denmark and it was utter hell; I just assumed other countries, even if they were more accepting like I know Canada is, would be as strict with their immigration.

I just assumed all immigration, even if for family reunification, would be really strict and only want "the best of the best" immigrating to their country. And the point of sponsoring your family is to say you can support them and won't seek government assistance - my thinking was that one would be more able to do this if they were highly educated and had a kind of job which can be taken internationally (nurses, teachers, etc). Of course a degree is no guarantee of a job, but you know what I mean. I just assumed the IO's took this into account, as well as your personal relationship :)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
My great grandfather came from Denmark. We absolutely love our Danish heritage! I'd love to visit someday. But back to topic... ;-)

I see what you're saying. I have never applied for any other country, so I see where this would come as more of a surprise to you. It is very hard to say whether or not it will have any impact. Maybe more for proof/verification that you're not lying about your education? That was my original guess when I was going to attach my college transcript.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
they emphasize on qualifications and education only on FSW applications, for sponsorship they look at relationship proof.

ekristensen

Star Member
Sep 29, 2009
Odense, Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
17-12-2009
Med's Done....
08-10-2009
Passport Req..
05-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2010
Suin said:
they emphasize on qualifications and education only on FSW applications, for sponsorship they look at relationship proof.
Okay, thank you Suin :)