+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Send Passport to VAC for Visa Stamp

juuiu

May 7, 2014
Hi, all,

I am in Houston, TX. I finished online Temporary Resident Visa application on April-18, 2014 and received letter from CIC requesting my passport 12 days after. According to their website information, I sent passport to Consulate General of Canada at LA. They sent back my passport with a letter saying the LA CGC:

"... no longer accept passports for online applications by mail... instead...send your passport to VAC. The VAC in turn will send passports to us for visa printing and return... "

I was trying to do this following the instructions on their website, and this is where the nightmare starts. The URL provided by LA CGC's return letter is broken :(. And their phone number is WRONG either! :eek: And, sadly, no email reply either... ???

Their website wording is SOOOO confusing and generates many questions:

1. Do I need to pay more fees? if so, what fees? Do I need to pay VAC service fee and visa photo fees?
2. Do I need to fill out more forms? what forms?
3. Which courier do they prefer? FedEX or USPS?

I am running out of time for applying their Visa, I can only try once more. If they return passport back and asking for more again, I am screwed up.

Can any one kindly provide me some information about the questions above? I've see the following answer somewhere, is this the right answer? Anyone has recently gone through this? thanks!

""""
In order to submit your passport for an application submitted online, you must first receive a letter through “MyCIC account” requesting you to submit your passport. Once you receive this request please submit the following documents:

- VAC Consent Form
- Original valid passport
- Original letter received through your “MyCIC account” that instructs you to submit your passport.
- Prepaid return airway bill from your company of preference in order to send you your documents once your application is finalized. If you decide to pick up your documents directly at the VAC, as a mandatory requirement when picking up your completed application you must present a valid government issued photo ID along with 1 photocopy of it; in which case you can decide NOT to submit this prepaid return airway bill. Note that we are unable to give out your documents to any unauthorized third party. %% which courier shall I use? I am planning to go with FedEX
- VAC Fee for Online passport submissions, payment in the amount of 34.10 USD. The VAC fee can be paid by bank draft, cashier's cheque, certified cheque, or money order directed to CSC Consular Services Inc. Please submit a photocopy of this payment submitting your passport. The original cheque(s) must be sent to the following lockbox with your name written on the back with a pencil: %% Any other Fees apply?

CSC Consular Services Inc
P.O. Box 410039
Salt Lake City, Utah 84141-0039

NOTE: Please complete ALL fields when sending your money order to avoid delays in your application process. (Pay in the order of, purchaser's signature,etc.)

The other documentation needs to be sent or delivered in person to our office:

Visa Application Centre
2100 E. Grand Avenue
El Segundo, CA, 90245
U.S.A.

The Visa Application Centre is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

""""

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Why is it so confusing? It looks quite clear and straight forward:

juuiu said:
I am in Houston, TX. I finished online Temporary Resident Visa application on April-18, 2014 and received letter from CIC requesting my passport 12 days after. According to their website information, I sent passport to Consulate General of Canada at LA. They sent back my passport with a letter saying the LA CGC:

"... no longer accept passports for online applications by mail... instead...send your passport to VAC. The VAC in turn will send passports to us for visa printing and return... "
It says explicitly in the mail you received documents should be sent to VAC, why did you send them to CGC?

juuiu said:
1. Do I need to pay more fees? if so, what fees? Do I need to pay VAC service fee and visa photo fees?
It is stated explicitly that you need to pay more fees. :
- VAC Fee for Online passport submissions, payment in the amount of 34.10 USD.

Photo? I don't see anything in the mail they sent you requesting photo fees. Where did you get this from?

juuiu said:
- VAC Consent Form

(Check emails and other forms where you applied.)

juuiu said:
It is not what they prefer, it is what you prefer, it says it quite clearly "from your company of preference":

- Prepaid return airway bill from your company of preference in order to send you your documents once your application is finalized.[/b]

juuiu

May 7, 2014
Thanks for your reply!

I received that letter from CGC saying they " no longer process ..." in their return mail, not before I sent out passport.

True. The email is quite clear. The problem is "I am not sure if this email is official" since this is what I see in another thread days ago and "not sure if the information in this email actually worked" for the guy who posted it. Again, the VAC website information is confusing and they keep changing policy.

I was asking about the visa photo fees, because there are some types of additional fees on their website including:

Passport delivery / e-Application * $34.10
Photographs $10.03 – 2 photos
Photocopy / Printing (each page) $0.29 per photocopy / page
IMM5257, IMM1294, IMM1295 Forms fill-out (Self-service) $7.17 per applicant
IMM5257, IMM1294, IMM1295 Forms fill-out (Full-service) $28.68 per applicant

I would like to confirm these information before sending out my passport since I am running out of time....

thanks!

Jalex23 said:
Why is it so confusing? It looks quite clear and straight forward:

It says explicitly in the mail you received documents should be sent to VAC, why did you send them to CGC?

It is stated explicitly that you need to pay more fees. :
- VAC Fee for Online passport submissions, payment in the amount of 34.10 USD.

Photo? I don't see anything in the mail they sent you requesting photo fees. Where did you get this from?

- VAC Consent Form

(Check emails and other forms where you applied.)

It is not what they prefer, it is what you prefer, it says it quite clearly "from your company of preference":

- Prepaid return airway bill from your company of preference in order to send you your documents once your application is finalized.[/b]

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Ah OK, now I understand what is your problem.

You are using this right? http://csc-cvac.com

This is not the official CIC's website, therefore I cannot help you with any questions regarding their requirements as I am not familiar with how they operate.

(That is why they have so many broken links and their information is not the latest. I would recommend not using them, but your choice nonetheless).

juuiu

May 7, 2014
Dear all,

For those may have similar confusing about the visa application with VAC. Please check the following email from VAC I received from them. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. (Why they can not just post this on their website...) Yes, VAC will take care your case and help review documents and communicate with Canadian General Consulate in Los Angeles. After they are happy with everything (including keeping you waiting for long enough), VAC will mail you your passport with visa on it. :) Good luck!

################

In order to submit your passport for an application submitted online, you must first receive a letter through “MyCIC account” requesting you to submit your passport. Once you receive this request please submit the following documents:

- VAC Consent Form (Print out and sign this consent form)
- Original letter received through your “MyCIC account” that instructs you to submit your passport.
- Prepaid return airway bill from your company of preference in order to send you your documents once your application is finalized. If you decide to pick up your documents directly at the VAC, as a mandatory requirement when picking up your completed application you must present a valid government issued photo ID along with 1 photocopy of it; in which case you can decide NOT to submit this prepaid return airway bill. Note that we are unable to give out your documents to any unauthorized third party.
(I used FedEx, create an account with FedEx, create a shipment and print out the return airway bill with BAR CODE on it. I am assuming you will use the priority mail, don't worry about the shipping date, it is not important. The timer starts ticking when Fedex picks up your mail. You may try other carriers, make sure you include the pre-paid return airway bill in your submission package )
- VAC Fee for Online passport submissions, payment in the amount of 34.10 USD. The VAC fee can be paid by bank draft, cashier's cheque, certified cheque, or money order directed to CSC Consular Services Inc. Please submit a photocopy of this payment submitting your passport. The original cheque(s) must be sent to the following lockbox with your name written on the back with a pencil:

P.O. Box 410039

NOTE: Please complete ALL fields when sending your money order to avoid delays in your application process. (Pay in the order of, purchaser's signature,etc.)

Visa Application Centre
2100 E. Grand Avenue
El Segundo, CA, 90245
U.S.A.

Regards,
Visa Application Centre (CG)

juuiu said:
Hi, all,

I was trying to do this following the instructions on their website, and this is where the nightmare starts. The URL provided by LA CGC's return letter is broken :(. And their phone number is WRONG either! :eek: And, sadly, no email reply either... ???

Their website wording is SOOOO confusing and generates many questions:

I am running out of time for applying their Visa, I can only try once more. If they return passport back and asking for more again, I am screwed up.

Can any one kindly provide me some information about the questions above? I've see the following answer somewhere, is this the right answer? Anyone has recently gone through this? thanks!

""""

- VAC Consent Form
- Prepaid return airway bill from your company of preference in order to send you your documents once your application is finalized. If you decide to pick up your documents directly at the VAC, as a mandatory requirement when picking up your completed application you must present a valid government issued photo ID along with 1 photocopy of it; in which case you can decide NOT to submit this prepaid return airway bill. Note that we are unable to give out your documents to any unauthorized third party. %% which courier shall I use? I am planning to go with FedEX
- VAC Fee for Online passport submissions, payment in the amount of 34.10 USD. The VAC fee can be paid by bank draft, cashier's cheque, certified cheque, or money order directed to CSC Consular Services Inc. Please submit a photocopy of this payment submitting your passport. The original cheque(s) must be sent to the following lockbox with your name written on the back with a pencil: %% Any other Fees apply?

P.O. Box 410039

Visa Application Centre
2100 E. Grand Avenue
El Segundo, CA, 90245
U.S.A.

""""

vskar

Sep 13, 2014
Hi Juuiu

Thanks for posting reply from VAC. I have also applied online for visitor visa and received letter from CIC asking for my passports. After going through reply from VAC that you posted, I still have a couple of questions based on the information provided on the VAC site.

1) How many consent forms do I have to submit per application? ( website says 2)
2) Do I have to send all the forms (e.g. IMM5257, IMM5645, IMM5713 etc and photos) via mail again as I have already submitted these online.

It will be great if you could answer these two questions. Thank you in advance.

vanwilder

Star Member
Apr 16, 2011
vskar said:
Hi Juuiu

Thanks for posting reply from VAC. I have also applied online for visitor visa and received letter from CIC asking for my passports. After going through reply from VAC that you posted, I still have a couple of questions based on the information provided on the VAC site.

1) How many consent forms do I have to submit per application? ( website says 2)
2) Do I have to send all the forms (e.g. IMM5257, IMM5645, IMM5713 etc and photos) via mail again as I have already submitted these online.

It will be great if you could answer these two questions. Thank you in advance.
I think if online application was submitted and passport request letter was received all we need to submit is
1. VAC consent form (1 form per each applicant), 2. proof of vac fee payment ($34.10 fee per applicant), 3. passport request letter along with return envelope.

you would have to send imm5257, imm5645, imm5713, photos, receipt of visa application fee,VAC service charge of $43.01 blah blah blah only if you are using VAC service to submit your application.

So to summarize the key question is are you using
1. VAC service to submit your application? or
2. using VAC to submit your passport?

No matter what you have to submit the passport using VAC. There is no second choice. Unfortunately this information is not clearly disclosed and many application submitted passport directly to LA or NY office just to get it returned back stating it needs to be submitted through VAC. And to make it more confusing VAC website has all jumbled up informations regards to using VAC service or if using VAC to just submit passport . surprisingly VACS website frequently asked question says VAC service is optional. The website also has wordings like
you can use the VAC to securely send your passport.

Below is there frequently asked questions

Am I required to submit my application through the VAC?
This is an optional service. VAC personnel verify that application forms have been properly completed and signed, and are accompanied by supporting documents and submit the application to the Consulate General of Canada in New York or Los Angeles.

Let me know if my understanding is incorrect or if anyone has anything to say.

Apr 20, 2016
Hello,

If you applied online and got a message with a letter on My CIC account requesting you to submit your passport then you need to submit the following 6 documents. You can send it to the New York or Los Angeles address. The New York office accepts passports after you have received a letter requesting you to submit your passports. However, the New York office does not accept a paper visitor visa application. The rumor that the New York office is closed is false.

Also please understand that the requirements might change over years, so call (646) 741 0130 to confirm documents and addresses before mailing out your passports.

Address to send the following documents along with the original passport:
Visa Application Centre (SP)
290 Madison Ave, 2nd fl.
(41st Street & 40th Street)
New York, New York 10017
U.S.A.
Documents
1) One copy of the letter requesting you to submit your passport
2) Two copies of the Consent Form
3) Orignal valid passport
4) Photo Copies of Cashier Check for the amount of USD 28.35 (USD) for online applications. If you submitted a paper application then it is USD 33.45
5) Letter confirming your contact information
6) Return Envelope from USPS only

Address to send the VAC Service Fee for passport submission:
CSC Consular Services, Inc
Lockbox 3352
PO Box 8500
Philadelphia, PA 19178-3352
Documents
1) Original Cashier's Check, Money Order or Bank Draft for the amount of USD 28.35 only if you submitted an online application.

If you live close to Los Angeles then here are the addresses to send your documents

Address to send the 6 documents
Visa Application Centre
2120 E. Grand Avenue, Suite 108A
El Segundo, CA, 90245
U.S.A.

Address to send the VAC Fee for Passport Submission
P.O. Box 410039

Please call the respective offices before you send your documents to confirm the documents and addresses.

Hope it helps

Sameer Pimpalkhute

Loop

Nov 22, 2016
I have to submit two passports for two applicants. Does the money order for each applicant? or we have to send 2 money order?

Red Igloo

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
If I am in Canada, how do I pay for fees to LA (they asked in US$). How do I calculate de money exchange CAD>US$?

Jul 11, 2018
As per email sent on July 11 2018

Hello,

See details below as to how to submit your passport.

-Passport

-VAC consent form: http://csc.public.s3.amazonaws.com/checklists/US/en/General/Consent_Form.pdf

- CIC letter (approval letter)

- Copy of VAC Service Fee for passport submission -- $32.27 per applicant. It can be paid:

(VAC FEE IS ONLY WAVIED IF BIOMETRICS WAS DONE IN OUR OFFICE)

> At the Visa Application Centre with a credit/debit card (Visa/Mastercard).
> By bank draft, cashier’s check, certified check, or money order made out to “CSRA Consular Services, Inc.” **We do not accept personal checks or cash. If you have sent a personal check please have it cancelled. If it has been cashed you must submit a copy of a bank statement showing the withdrawal so that we can accept the payment.** Tear off and keep the receipt portions of money orders for your records.
The photocopy is listed a requirement because it serves as proof of payment and we cannot continue processing your passport without it. You will submit the actual check/money order for the payment by mail to the following address and a copy within your package that you will send to our office:
P.O. Box 419557 (CSRA Consular Services Inc)
Boston, MA 02241-9557
DO NOT SEND PREPAID RETURN ENVELOPES, PASSPORTS, OR APPLICATION DOCUMENTS TO THE LOCKBOX -- ONLY SEND VAC FEE PAYMENTS

- Return mailing options: (Please be advised, per our website we do not accept prepaid FedEx labels from applicants.)
A) Submit a prepaid USPS, UPS, or DHL envelope (must be larger than letter-sized) to our office. Be sure to include a tracking # on it.
B) Submit a fee of USD 20.21 for us to create a FedEx shipment (US addresses ONLY).
This can be can be paid by Visa/Mastercard at the VAC OR by bank draft, cashier’s cheque, certified cheque, or money order directed to CSRA Consular Services Inc. **We do not accept personal checks or cash. If you have sent a personal check please have it cancelled. If it has been cashed you must submit a copy of a bank statement showing the withdrawal so that we can accept the payment.**
The original cheque(s) must be sent to the following lockbox with your name written on the back with a pencil and a copy within the package that you will send to our office:
P.O. Box 419557 (CSRA Consular Services Inc)
Boston, MA 02241-9557
DO NOT SEND PREPAID RETURN ENVELOPES, PASSPORTS, OR APPLICATION DOCUMENTS TO THE LOCKBOX -- ONLY SEND VAC FEE PAYMENTS

---
Kind regards,
Visa Application Centre (ay)
290 Madison Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10017

Email: ny-info@csc-cvac.com
Call Centre: (646) 741-0130

sarah. k

Jun 8, 2018
Hello!
I have a question regarding my study permit application. I am waiting for the final decision on my application which was submitted on June 12 in visa application center in Turkey.
I am currently in Canada as a tourist. My question is that after receiving an email requesting to submit my passport,
  • Is it possible to submit the passport to a visa application center in US instead of VAC center in Turkey to continue the processing of the application or do I have to submit it to the VAC center from where I was applied from?

nadiabostan

Aug 18, 2018
hello. i am sending my passport to LA. i already paid application and biometric fee while applying online. Am i supposed to submit any other fee? if yes how much?

Aug 23, 2018
Hi,

I am currently on H1B in USA and submitted online application for Canadian TRV.
My application was approved and I got the request letter to send my original passport.

I sent my original passport along with the following documents to VAC at LA:
1. Consent form
2.Cashier's check for $32.27
3.Full contact info
4. Pre-paid return envelope from UPS
5. Request letter asking for my original passport.

I DID NOT send the original cashier's check to he LOCKBOX.
Is that a problem?

VAC LA states the following:

If you are mailing your application, you will be sending TWO SEPARATE PACKAGES. One to the LOCKBOX and one to the Visa Application Centre.

PACKAGE ONE will be sent to the lockbox with your VAC payment (draft, check, etc.). Lockboxes located in Boston and Dallas.

PACKAGE TWO will be sent to the Visa Application Centre with your application, passport, supporting documents, Visa application payment if applicable and copy of the VAC fee payment sent to the lockbox. VACs located in Los Angeles and New York.

This does not apply to me as my application has already been approved and all am doing is sending my passport????

Please help me out in understanding the process and let me know If I should have sent the Cashier's check (towards Passport delivery/e-application service and not for VAC processing fee) to the LOCKBOX.

Thanks,
Sridhar

Aug 23, 2018
hello. i am sending my passport to LA. i already paid application and biometric fee while applying online. Am i supposed to submit any other fee? if yes how much?
Yes, you have to pay the passport delivery/e-Application service fee of $32.27 addressed to "CSRA Consular Services Inc."