+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employment - SkipTheDishes Uber Eats etc .

maple007

Jan 18, 2019
Hi ,

I have a query , and hope someone can help me out with this .

I am self employed , skipthedishes , uber eats etc .

I have an issue , I worked more than 20 hours a week in May , in my case we don't have pay slips pay stubs etc , employer doesn't report taxes .

If I file my income taxes next year , without working from today until end of Dec , then will it make any difference ?

How does CIC know about working more than 20 hours/week ? Is it from our tax returns ?
And if that's the case , and I don't work now until next year , am I good ?

I am a full time student .

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi ,

I have an issue , I worked more than 20 hours a week in May , in my case we don't have pay slips pay stubs etc , employer doesn't report taxes .

If I file my income taxes next year , without working from today until end of Dec , then will it make any difference ?

How does CIC know about working more than 20 hours/week ? Is it from our tax returns ?

Honestly, I was considering being a bicycle courier in my free time with these kinds of companies, when I am going to go to Canada and did a bit of research about the taxation laws. None of these services really track your time, unless you are riding a car and they track it so that you are not working continuously.

I never got a good answer about how 20 hours are counted and how exactly you could remain legal, so I shelved the idea. It's honestly, from my research a real grey area. The only way they could be tipped off, is if your income was significantly higher than what one would earn. I am honestly not that well versed with the tax forms, but from the tax form that you have to file, it doesn't look like you need to mention the hours worked or even the amount you made per month.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/t2125/t2125-19e.pdf

I am real hesitant in telling you to do something, but it mostly looks like no one is really going to know, unless someone reports you to IRCC. Unless there is some otherway that I am not aware of.

Marc1

May 28, 2020
Ho
Hi ,

How is it going? Have you got PGWP?

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
Hi ,

You have clearly violated the visa terms. Eventhough you dont have payslips and considered self employed. you still have to file for the taxes by end of the year. Your employer sends out the information to CIC with the amount and time you worked and money they paid you for the service.
The way they track your time is through login to the account as an active driver untill you log out from the app.
Even if you stop working now it wont Make much difference. The terms set forth are 20 hours and you clearly violated the terms.

Reactions: maxiie

Marc1

May 28, 2020
You have clearly violated the visa terms. Eventhough you dont have payslips and considered self employed. you still have to file for the taxes by end of the year. Your employer sends out the information to CIC with the amount and time you worked and money they paid you for the service.
The way they track your time is through login to the account as an active driver untill you log out from the app.
Even if you stop working now it wont Make much difference. The terms set forth are 20 hours and you clearly violated the terms.
Hi! I worked 26 hours for just 1 week. That was my mistake. After that I don’t do it again. Even before that I never worked for years. Will the CIC chase me down for that?

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
Hi! I worked 26 hours for just 1 week. That was my mistake. After that I don’t do it again. Even before that I never worked for years. Will the CIC chase me down for that?
If its only 6 hours in 1 week than dont worry about it. I dont think they will notice that.

Reactions: Marc1

Marc1

May 28, 2020
If its only 6 hours in 1 week than dont worry about it. I dont think they will notice that.
In which case might lead to refusal of PGWP? I have checked it once again and there is also a week that I exceeded 40 minutes as well (20hr + 40 minutes). My first week is 26 hours and my second week is 20hr40m. It is because doordash is self-employed, toggling on and off is challenging and very difficult to measure exactly the time. After that, none of the week is exceeded. Appreciate your reply

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No one is completely sure how IRCC is going to treat these kinds of gig jobs. They may count the hours you're available, not just the ones you are actually delivering meals. It's risky one way or the other.

Marc1

May 28, 2020
No one is completely sure how IRCC is going to treat these kinds of gig jobs. They may count the hours you're available, not just the ones you are actually delivering meals. It's risky one way or the other.
Lets say I exceeded only 2 weeks. Will it be a big trouble for me in the future? I actually was not making any amount of money out of that 40 minutes. I am not abusing to earn extra money.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No one knows right now. IRCC can either be extremely literal in interpreting the regulations and order you to leave Canada for violating your permit, or they may not notice.

Sheeraz111

Jul 21, 2020
Hi ,

How do you file taxes as an Uber driver an an International Student? Looking for a complete guide. Please help

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
How do you file taxes as an Uber driver an an International Student? Looking for a complete guide. Please help
Your status as an International Student has nothing to do with tax filing. I would suggest using software/websites to file your taxes to avoid missing any deductions, I used turbotax to file this year. If you need more help, I would suggest that you consult a tax professional.

Sheeraz111

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Do we need to keep record of any expenses such as vehicle repairs etc to file taxes? Thanks