+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Work History

nbolton00

Mar 1, 2017
Hello all,

Just wanted to connect with people who have declared self employment work experience.

In my job (2175) its impossible to know the hours Ive worked with each client - i earn based on projects and do not know the hours put in - the clients don't know the hours either. There are obviously times when I am not charging a client but am working on the business or working on multiple projects at the same time, so hours are hard to prove.

I am able to show:

- Tax certificate / annual returns
- Invoices sent to clients
- bank statements showing those invoices being received (do I have to show 4 years worth of bank statements!? ??? (feel sorry for the guy having to review that!)

- References from the clients explaining the projects / services i have done for them etc.

Is there anything else you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Bablaa

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2015
I think that should be enough.
you may add your company registration certificate /AoA of the company etc. too to the stack.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same situation. What i am doing is including the clients letters + agreements (I made them again and included an estimate hours for the project).

Nellaquantise

Jan 15, 2018
Spain
NOC Code......
Since more than a year has passed I thought I'd write to ask you how did this go? I am in a similar position. Hoping you'll read this!

brentmrcs

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
Category........
FSW
anyone got PR with self employment work under work history?
I’m currently preparing our documents for submission. I’m also claiming points for self-employed work (NOC 3111). I uploaded reference letters from previous companies where I acted as a consultant, tax registration, and acknowledgment receipts. I also made a letter of explanation detailing my practice. I got in touch with previous colleagues and asked reference letters with job description from them. I hope that those will suffice.

rujuta1991

Sep 7, 2020
I’m currently preparing our documents for submission. I’m also claiming points for self-employed work (NOC 3111). I uploaded reference letters from previous companies where I acted as a consultant, tax registration, and acknowledgment receipts. I also made a letter of explanation detailing my practice. I got in touch with previous colleagues and asked reference letters with job description from them. I hope that those will suffice.
Ohk. My work is bit different. I am working as freelance web developer. I am not claiming points for this but I added it under work history before ITA as I was not aware about it. Now I need to upload documents for that.

I am retail contractor working with hundred of clients per year, so it is not possible to get reference letter from all clients. Also, how did you mention about hours/week in reference letter?

Psyoptica

Champion Member
Feb 20, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-04-2020
I’m also a freelance web developer contracted with a US based business. I added this as a self employed work experience and included all my invoices sent to the client, reference letter from my client and certificates for receiving payments. However this experience was pretty much ignored as per my GCMS notes and my other traditional job experience were included. Maybe because excluding this experience was still enough to gain maximum points on foreign work experience.

rujuta1991

Sep 7, 2020
I’m also a freelance web developer contracted with a US based business. I added this as a self employed work experience and included all my invoices sent to the client, reference letter from my client and certificates for receiving payments. However this experience was pretty much ignored as per my GCMS notes and my other traditional job experience were included. Maybe because excluding this experience was still enough to gain maximum points on foreign work experience.
Ohh. So do you suggested removing it before I submit application or should I upload whatever I can get from clients? As I am working with multiple clients.
Have you got PR?

laurac

Sep 11, 2020
Hey so you're a doctor right? Same situation here, although my husband (main applicant) is a general practitioner. He has a reference letter from the hospital where he's currently working (the only place he has ever worked actually) with all the necessary info (annual salary, hours/week, duties, start date etc). Do you think he still needs to send his pay slips? Because the pay slips are a bit confusing (his salary varies a bit every month), since he is paid different amounts per shift depending if the shift was on the weekend or during week days (he works more or less the same amount of hours per week but the exact day in which he works varies, so his monthly salary varies as well), so it would give us a little more trouble as we would have to explain that.

brentmrcs

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
Category........
FSW
Ohk. My work is bit different. I am working as freelance web developer. I am not claiming points for this but I added it under work history before ITA as I was not aware about it. Now I need to upload documents for that.

I am retail contractor working with hundred of clients per year, so it is not possible to get reference letter from all clients. Also, how did you mention about hours/week in reference letter?
I specifically asked my previous clients to include the number of hours I render per week (e.g. 10, 20, 8 hours/week).

brentmrcs

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hey so you're a doctor right? Same situation here, although my husband (main applicant) is a general practitioner. He has a reference letter from the hospital where he's currently working (the only place he has ever worked actually) with all the necessary info (annual salary, hours/week, duties, start date etc). Do you think he still needs to send his pay slips? Because the pay slips are a bit confusing (his salary varies a bit every month), since he is paid different amounts per shift depending if the shift was on the weekend or during week days (he works more or less the same amount of hours per week but the exact day in which he works varies, so his monthly salary varies as well), so it would give us a little more trouble as we would have to explain that.
I think it is best to include the pay slips, just to add to the documentation, then write a letter of explanation stating that shifts are paid variably depending on a number of factor (i.e. weekend calls, night shifts, etc). That’s what I did.

laurac

Sep 11, 2020
I think it is best to include the pay slips, just to add to the documentation, then write a letter of explanation stating that shifts are paid variably depending on a number of factor (i.e. weekend calls, night shifts, etc). That’s what I did.
Ok good idea! Thank you very much :))

Reactions: brentmrcs