+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-employed or employee?

laurac

Sep 11, 2020
Hello!

My husband is a general practitioner and he has been working for the same hospital for 1 year and 2 months (that's all the work experience he has, in our country one does not need to have a specialty before getting a licence to practice). Although he is not formally the hospital's employee (no contracts) and is payed as self-employed, he has a non-formal "agreement", so to speak, in which he compromises to work a determined amount of shifts a week. So, in practical terms, he does the same as if he was the hospital's employee. We have received our ITA 10 days ago and when we created our EE profile we've checked the "self-employed" box, since his pay slips state that he is self-employed and we wanted to be as honest as possible. Nonetheless, by the "self-employed" and "employee" definitions in the Canadian Government website, which we found out today, he would fit more in the "employee" definition. Also, we already have the reference letter from the hospital's director which contains his weekly hours, annual salary, job roles, date in which he started working there etc. Does anyone have a suggestion/knows whether we should:
1) uncheck the "self-employed" box (and if that wouldn't cause us any trouble) and send only the reference letter OR
2) keep the "self-employed" box checked and send the reference letter plus pay slips, tax return, letter from colleagues (this option would give us some work since we would have to to pay for a certified translator, none of those documents are in English) OR
3) keep the "self-employed" box checked but still only send the reference letter, since it already contains all the information required, with a letter of explanation describing his situation?

Thank you for your input.

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
You should raise a CSE and clarify this issue. Otherwise when ircc is evaluating the profile they would see conflicting information. In the CSE mention detail about how you accidentally clicked self employed.

laurac

Sep 11, 2020
You should raise a CSE and clarify this issue. Otherwise when ircc is evaluating the profile they would see conflicting information. In the CSE mention detail about how you accidentally clicked self employed.
Thank you for the answer! So you think he would be considered more as an employed person than self-employed? I thought maybe writing a Letter of Explanation instead of rising a CSE...

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
Raise a CSE. Letter of explanation only is for not correcting. Search the forum to see what people in your position have previously done

Reactions: laurac

laurac

Sep 11, 2020
Raise a CSE. Letter of explanation only is for not correcting. Search the forum to see what people in your position have previously done
Oh ok... Thank you! I have searched for it but couldn't find any threads with similar inquiries... Most self-employed people I've seen own a business and work for different clients... But I will raise a CSE then. Thank you again!!