+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Music Producer

MonacoLogan

Aug 17, 2016
Hi All;

A freelance music producer seeking to apply via the Self Employed Category.

The question is as follows;

How does one prove 2 one-year periods of employment?

Does CIC look for a minimum number of hours of work per year (e.g. 1950 hours/year)?

The nature of this employment is by contract / on call basis, based on the client/s requirements. There could be 100 projects one year, and 30 on another; thus making it difficult to narrow down the hours of work per week or month Etc. In this case the work is for TV, Film, and Music and as such varies in nature, matter, and scope.

Any advise in this regard would be appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
the processing time for self employed category is measured in years to process currently 96 months http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

MonacoLogan

Aug 17, 2016
Thank you, however that was not my question.

I was questioning if a person is required to prove 1950 hours per year of employment, as it is difficult to do when freelancing on many projects.

Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MonacoLogan said:
Thank you, however that was not my question.

I was questioning if a person is required to prove 1950 hours per year of employment, as it is difficult to do when freelancing on many projects.

Please advise.
Yes - you certainly have to prove your employment.

MonacoLogan

Aug 17, 2016
Hi All;

Where is it written on the cic site and or the manual that you need to demonstrate a specific minimum number of hours?

If you look at any other class, it clearly indicates a minimum number of ours that is considered full-time, however I cannot see this in the Self Employed section nor in the manual.

Please advise!

PS. If a professional is working on many projects, perhaps they surpass 1950 hours per year, however these projects are not necessarily consistent (e.g. January - march 3 projects) March - April No projects (April - May 1 Project Etc.)

Neilp

Sep 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MonacoLogan said:
Hi All;

Where is it written on the cic site and or the manual that you need to demonstrate a specific minimum number of hours?

If you look at any other class, it clearly indicates a minimum number of ours that is considered full-time, however I cannot see this in the Self Employed section nor in the manual.

Please advise!

PS. If a professional is working on many projects, perhaps they surpass 1950 hours per year, however these projects are not necessarily consistent (e.g. January - march 3 projects) March - April No projects (April - May 1 Project Etc.)
The experience is consider length of employment not rated in hours. If self employed support document you were in business for each month if you were working for a company you must show length of employment in a company letter.

It your case calculate based month to month because you must be able to support it with documentation. If you have contract for projects you worked on that state the length that will also work.

Hope that helps