+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed documents translation

GeorgeOu

Apr 25, 2020
Hi guys, I found something that is not clearly defined. Hope someone could help me out. :)

So for self-employed translators, like me, we also need to provide supportive documents. But if the documents are not in English or French, they need to be translated and an affidavit from the person who translated is also needed.
I was planning to do it by my own, then I found this:
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation, if required.
Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.
(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/applications-translation-documents.html)

That makes me confused. The applicant themself, at least to my common sense, seems a family member. But that's not what the definition says here. Are we allowed to translate it by ourselves? Could somebody shed me a light on this? Many thanks!! :)

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Hi guys, I found something that is not clearly defined. Hope someone could help me out. :)

So for self-employed translators, like me, we also need to provide supportive documents. But if the documents are not in English or French, they need to be translated and an affidavit from the person who translated is also needed.
I was planning to do it by my own, then I found this:
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation, if required.
Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.
(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/applications-translation-documents.html)

That makes me confused. The applicant themself, at least to my common sense, seems a family member. But that's not what the definition says here. Are we allowed to translate it by ourselves? Could somebody shed me a light on this? Many thanks!! :)
For supportive documents, are you referring to your academic certificates/ proof of identity, or your translation projects instead?
For the former, I think you can have a notary public to provide you with a statement proving that those are the translated certs or alike.

Reactions: GeorgeOu

GeorgeOu

Apr 25, 2020
For supportive documents, are you referring to your academic certificates/ proof of identity, or your translation projects instead?
For the former, I think you can have a notary public to provide you with a statement proving that those are the translated certs or alike.
That sounds a good idea. I'd consult some notary publics for that. Many thanks!!