+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Cultural Stream (photography)

coathanger

May 4, 2020
Has anyone applied or is intending to apply via the self employment - cultural activity stream?

I’ve previously been a self employed photographer for two years, around 30 hours a week so it seems I would be eligible but my income was quite low and as such I paid no income tax, will this matter? I can provide proof of clients and proof of payments but my tax return looks a little bit sad.

I’d love to hear your experiences?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
if income tax is not required based on your country's regulation it's fine.
for claiming yourself a self employed person you should have your major income from your photography projects.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
p.s. that's still a general response.
if you need a specific answer according to your case and background, you need to consult an agent/ lawyer/ consultant whatsoever.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Has anyone applied or is intending to apply via the self employment - cultural activity stream?

I’ve previously been a self employed photographer for two years, around 30 hours a week so it seems I would be eligible but my income was quite low and as such I paid no income tax, will this matter? I can provide proof of clients and proof of payments but my tax return looks a little bit sad.

I’d love to hear your experiences?
Agreed with the general advice you've been given above. If you want to apply through the self-employment stream, you would want to be able to demonstrate that all / most of your income is coming from these activities and this is your primary source of income - rather than something you do on the side.

coathanger

May 4, 2020
Thanks, really appreciate your responses. I guess my main query is what would be seen as major income. I supported myself and paid all my bills as a self employed person and it was my main job, but was working in a small town in the north of England, so freelance opportunities were fairly limited and I know I could have made more living elsewhere. I wondered if the application could be rejected on the basis that in their opinion they didn't think you earned enough?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, really appreciate your responses. I guess my main query is what would be seen as major income. I supported myself and paid all my bills as a self employed person and it was my main job, but was working in a small town in the north of England, so freelance opportunities were fairly limited and I know I could have made more living elsewhere. I wondered if the application could be rejected on the basis that in their opinion they didn't think you earned enough?
If all of your income was from this job and you weren't regularly supplementing this income with any other work, then I think you should be absolutely fine.

Reactions: coathanger

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I'm applying under the self-employed stream as a self-employed photographer. We have retained Campbell and Cohen to help us. I've been a self-employed photographer for 12 years, but they're only really looking at the last 5. They have asked me to send in contract from clients, tax returns, paid invoices, examples of where I've been published, etc. to support my case