+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed CPP questions.

Streezy09

May 26, 2022
Hey everyone, I would like to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and asking a question that may have been asked many times before.

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada and I am currently employed as a 'contractor' for a US based company. I get paid in USD to my Canadian Bank account and it gets converted to CAD for me. ( not sure if this affects anything? ).

I am a little confused on CPP requirements and If CPP is something I need to contribute to. Would this be considered foreign income or would there be no way around paying CPP?

Thanks in advance,

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey everyone, I would like to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and asking a question that may have been asked many times before.

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada and I am currently employed as a 'contractor' for a US based company. I get paid in USD to my Canadian Bank account and it gets converted to CAD for me. ( not sure if this affects anything? ).

I am a little confused on CPP requirements and If CPP is something I need to contribute to. Would this be considered foreign income or would there be no way around paying CPP?

Thanks in advance,
In other words you’re self employed . No there is no way around making CPP contributions, and find it strange you’d want too . It’s for your retirement.
It’s mandatory

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/2018/10/the-canada-pension-plan-enhancement--businesses-individuals-and-self-employed-what-it-means-for-you.html