+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self employed AND common law sponsorship application possible??

Mar 7, 2013
Hi,
I submitted my permanent residency application under the Self-employed programme at the end of last year, and have just recently received a letter confirming that it's been forwarded to my visa office in London.
My first question is, does anyone have any experience with how long the process can take from now on, considering the website no longer states "average processing times"??

Also, me and my Canadian boyfriend have soon been together for 1.5 years, and will have lived together for a year at beginning of May. From what I can gather, that means that we can now apply for permanent residency for me under Family Sponsorship (sponsor common law partner). However, I wonder if it's possible to have two applications submitted, or whether this will just confuse and delay the process further? Can anyone shed any light on this situation for me?

Thanks
Jenny

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are very few people processed under the self-employment program and it takes many years. Unfortunately it's unlikely anyone here will be able to comment on processing times.

I would apply for PR through family class (common law sponsorship). There is nothing stopping you from having two applications at once and the family class one will likely be processed faster.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
scylla said:
There are very few people processed under the self-employment program and it takes many years. Unfortunately it's unlikely anyone here will be able to comment on processing times.

I would apply for PR through family class (common law sponsorship). There is nothing stopping you from having two applications at once and the family class one will likely be processed faster.
I could comment. I would comment the ... out of this.
they have 72 self employed applications in Ottawa in January 2013. they are processing 10/year. it will take them 7 years to clear out.
their manual OP5 says same priority for business applicants as other applicants.
the MP got a reply from the opposite to that.
MP wrote to me "Hello Ihab

Further to your email, I made an enquiry as to the status of your application. I was advised that Self-Employed Applications take many months, and although there is not a processing time listed on the website for the Ottawa Pilot Program, which is where your application is, you will note that the times listed for New Delhi and Hong Kong are 91 months and 68 months respectively. This gives you an indication of the time it will take. The link to this page is below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/self-fed.asp

The Canadian Experience Class is a completely different program, and that is why applications are processing at a different rate.

I was advised that there is no need for you to make a further enquiry until May of 2013.

"

Good luck!!!

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
my own personal opinion is that business applicants are getting the boot, especially older ones. Canada is not interested really in entrepreneurs even if they say they are. Employers here are hand in hand with CIC, and employers want employees who are easy to tame and cost less to hire, not self employed persons that have ambition.
If you notice almost all visa centers are NOT processing self employed applications at all, thus they no longer have the number of months it takes on the website. they did this silently and stealthily.

nansspnosa

Apr 23, 2013
Hi,

I have the same case too. I received e-mail from CIC informing me that they received my application and has forwarded it to Manila Office. I mailed my application last March 13, 2013 and CIC received it by March 28, 2013. Until now Im waiting for the next step. Is it really this long? I did not know that they only process 10 per year. Where can I find those data?

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
jenny_soderman said:
Hi,
I submitted my permanent residency application under the Self-employed programme at the end of last year, and have just recently received a letter confirming that it's been forwarded to my visa office in London.
My first question is, does anyone have any experience with how long the process can take from now on, considering the website no longer states "average processing times"??

Also, me and my Canadian boyfriend have soon been together for 1.5 years, and will have lived together for a year at beginning of May. From what I can gather, that means that we can now apply for permanent residency for me under Family Sponsorship (sponsor common law partner). However, I wonder if it's possible to have two applications submitted, or whether this will just confuse and delay the process further? Can anyone shed any light on this situation for me?

Thanks
hye dear please share me in which profession u applied the self employed immigration
Jenny

Mysterieuse

Dec 4, 2013
I sent my application for PR as self-employed to Buffalo in November 2012 after that I did not hear anything from immigration till august 2013 when they asked me to provide more documentation, they transferred my application to Ottawa due to their own reorganization. November 2013 I got medical forms. Exam is done and Im waiting for the final decision! Hope everything is fine.

Linda2004

May 15, 2013
Mysterieuse said:
I sent my application for PR as self-employed to Buffalo in November 2012 after that I did not hear anything from immigration till august 2013 when they asked me to provide more documentation, they transferred my application to Ottawa due to their own reorganization. November 2013 I got medical forms. Exam is done and Im waiting for the final decision! Hope everything is fine.
WOW, I'll say that is pretty fast for your case.

I submitted my application in Dec. 2012 and they transferred my case to Hongkong office. So far no progress except "application received".

I think Ottawa has the most efficient system to process self-employed application in all their VO offices.

Anyway congratulations to you. Could you share with us which category under self-employed you applied for? eg. Cultural, athletics or farm management?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

ubaid0092

Nov 20, 2013
Linda2004 said:
WOW, I'll say that is pretty fast for your case.

I submitted my application in Dec. 2012 and they transferred my case to Hongkong office. So far no progress except "application received".

I think Ottawa has the most efficient system to process self-employed application in all their VO offices.

Anyway congratulations to you. Could you share with us which category under self-employed you applied for? eg. Cultural, athletics or farm management?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Linda when u applied and what catagory in self employed ?

oldmanmurray

Aug 16, 2013
Well, good news...
Our lawyer initially told us the self-employment route was nearly impossible - it would take 3-5 years.
My boyfriend did his medical last month, and he just got his confirmation letter TODAY!!!
We were also going to attempt the common law route if the self-employment thing didn't work out (which you CAN do)

He applied in January 2013, and got approval in Dec 13 - pretty much 1 year, if that gives you any idea!

bussimmig

Mar 11, 2014
oldmanmurray said:
Well, good news...
Our lawyer initially told us the self-employment route was nearly impossible - it would take 3-5 years.
My boyfriend did his medical last month, and he just got his confirmation letter TODAY!!!
We were also going to attempt the common law route if the self-employment thing didn't work out (which you CAN do)

He applied in January 2013, and got approval in Dec 13 - pretty much 1 year, if that gives you any idea!
Hi oldmanmurray

Which subcategory of self employed did you apply under?

bussimmig

Mar 11, 2014
jenny_soderman said:
Hi,

Thanks
Jenny
Hi Jenny, which subcategory of self employed, did you apply under (writer/author/artist etc.)
did you apply from within Canada or outside Canada?