+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking the truth about working in canada

doaa

Apr 17, 2007
I would like your help in this issue, me and my husband have planned to immigrated to Canada under the skilled worker immigration PR , and we were about to submit the application with the fees, but yesterday I was searching the internet about any news about how it is in Canada, the cost of living and that stuff, and i saw a forum about immigrants in Canada , they were talking very badly about the situation there and how some of them returned back home after they lost their savings without finding any job, or if they found one it won't be suitable to their level of education, experiences and skills, and how they regret that they moved to Canada after they were living in better conditions in their home country. as they have done everything to get this Canadian experience and assessed their degrees and even some of them joined universities to get Canadian certificates. I would like really to know the truth , 'cause this forum didn't say any good word about living and migrating to Canada. and actually we want immigrate there seeking a peaceful life for us and our kids, with good life conditions. any advice will be appreciated. Really in need for that advice.

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi Doa

First of all, the life is not easy for non of us, specially if we are newcomers in a new country with different laws, education, culture… of course it takes time to get involved with the new life (world).

Unless you are a recognized genius, you may expect to have some hard times to get job, since nobody knows you, nobody recommends you, nobody can say anything on your behalf, you have to build your own way and your own relationships, and of course it will depend upon you and no one other than you.

So you might expect to start from Zero or from very low levels comparing with your previous position on you home country, it is in order for you to get Canadian experience, language, Canadian skills, Canadian working processes…etc…

It also depends of why you are thinking about to come to Canada, and what your expectations are, Canada is a very good place to live, one of the bigger economies in the world, one of the safest places in the world, Free education, free health care… well it worth it.

Maybe you started looking in a forum from People that did not want to start from Zero or just looking for easy life… of course it did not happen.

If you really want something, no matter what you will fire for it, even though if it means having a bad time on the beginning… it will eventually change for better sooner or later

Regards
Eduardo

doaa

Apr 17, 2007
Yes i guess you are right and we would like very much to relocate to Canada , and i have read about all the beautiful things that Canada has to offer to their new immigrants but when i found that forum and read from people who've been through the immigration experience we were very shocked and disappointed, but at the same time i am not sure if that were the truth about the working conditions, actually these people say according to their experience that they have been there for quite a long time and have done all the thing that could let them find a work according to their qualifications and experiences although they started from zero at the beginning but that zero step lasted with them and they couldn't get any job offer according to their skills, what I really want to know , is that true , we are ready to start from scratch but eventually after gaining this Canadian experience and assessing our qualifications we could get a job offer that suits us but we are not ready to stuck on that zero level. actually we are seeking a better life and better environment not to start from zero and stuck there.

ranjus

Apr 29, 2004
If money and material things are precious to you its better to head for USA. If you want inner peace and spiritual happiness welcome to unspoilt Canada.

Anatoly

Mar 15, 2007
I can add from myself several words. Canada is not the country where is the money is main thing. Who goes to Canada want to find there beautiful nature and ecoclimat. At least I think so.

maplecard

Apr 10, 2007
Well, I understand beautiful nature part. I like it.

By ecoclimat - you mean less traffic congestion, pollution & crime compared to USA?

What are inner peace and spiritual happiness? If I have not much savings/material possession, then how can I live after retirement? In USA, PRs live in nice houses (typically 4 bed room). What about in Canada for IT people? How many cars does average family have?

yemkik

Star Member
Sep 6, 2004
Well it is very simple. If Canada does not offer you what you want, better to quietly return to your home country and be proud. The empty barrels making the most noise are the ones that have refused to go back home even when it is so obvious they are not useful in Canada. Remember our fingers are not equal!

maplecard

Apr 10, 2007
How about sharing some facts & figures?

1. What is the source of income after retirement?
2. In USA, PRs live in nice houses (typically 4 bed room). What about in Canada for IT people?
3. How many cars does average family have?

smurf4t

May 11, 2007
I am very interested in what you asking to and i think these are valid questions when thinking about immagrating to another country, knowing avaerage house size, amount of car's per family and roughly average income is important when leaving one country for another?

It is no use leaving one country for another and going from bad to bad. The schooling systems and health care systems and peace and quiet and quality of life seem wonderful and are very appealing and i love the hole idea of peace and harmony but economic's is just as important and a very valid question.

I was wondering how hard it is to start your business and how fussy the goverment is with starting your own business. Can you simply go and rent a store or buy a store and open your own business with out any other hassles or are their goverment restrictions?

I agree with making ends meat and working hard and have no problem starting from the bottom and working my way up for a better quality of life.

My husband and i are looking at moving from a crime riddled South Africa to Canada so we appreciate saftey and health care along with good education.

Kind regards

tanja

coco

May 8, 2007
I have had the privilege of living in both Canada & the U.S

Canada is scenic & tranquil and ofcourse violent crime rates are lower than the U.S.

Infrastructure is comparable.

I work in the Healthcare industry. Getting full time job in the U.S has never been a problem. The money is good but the benefits, e.g sick time, vacation are not much to scream about. The cost of living, housing etc is lower.

On the other hand, in Ontario I wasn't fortunate enough to find a full time job. I was hired on as "permanent part-time". I was still able to get full time hours as long as I remained flexible and willing to work any shift. The downside was that as a part time employee you hardly have any benefits and full time employees get 1st priority when it comes to overtime, vacations etc. The full time employees have it made when it comes to benefits. Don't get me wrong, I do acknowledge that they have earned their dues. Some of these guys had been on the Job for 25+ years!

Housing, and the cost of living in general is higher in Canada and it is especially noticeable if you have lived in the States.

Canada offers universal healthcare. In the U.S if you fall ill without health insurance then you are in trouble. No place is perfect. You just have to find a place that will work for you. Hopefully through research & talking to the right people you can make the right choices.

$$ just don't fall on your lap when you enter the U.S. You have to work, work, work!!!

law

May 16, 2007
HELLO ALL MY NAME IS LAWRENCE I AM NEW TO THIS SITE BUT HAVE READ ALL U HAVE POSTED I AM YET TO FILL THE ASSESSMENT FORM AS I AM STILL LOOKING TO FINDING OUT THE REAL COST OF MOVING FROM WHERE I AM TO WHERE I NEED TO GET TO.I WILL BE GREATFUL FOR INFORMATIONS WITH REGARDS TO THIS AGAING IF ANYONE HAS EVER FILLED DOES FORMS CAN YOU HELP ME WITH YOUR FILLED FORMS AND PLS TAKE OFF FROM IT ANY INFORMATIONS YOU CONSIDER VERY PRIVATE I DO WHAT TO HAVE ALL THAT NEEDS FOR AN EFFICIENT APLICATION BEFORE SUBMITTING MY FORM AND ALSO THE AMOUNT I MAY HAVE TO PAY PLS THIS INFORMATIOMS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME SO I WILL NEED A VERY HONEST APPRASAL BEFORE COMMITTING MONEY AND TIME INTO THIS ,I AM LAWRENCE FROM NIGERIA

ranjus

Apr 29, 2004
Happiness lies neither in USA nor Canada nor anywhere else. Its already there inside you. Shame that some people are measuring happiness by number of cars and houses. Such people are called ignorants even though they may be highly qualified materially.

Did you wish to be born ? No
Do you wish to die ? No
Can you defeat gravity and fly ? No
Do you know whats going to happenn to you tomorrow ? No
Do you know whats happenning beyond the 3 states of waking, sleep and deep sleep ? No

Then why live like a slave to some unknown forces ?. These are the real issues being faced by humans and can be solved by self realisation and yoga. Whether you are Bill Gates or Bush or Beggar they all die. Then whats the point of counting your cars, houses and bank balance. Lastly Canada is the best place on this planet where one can surely find inner happiness and peace.

Oh Canada

calvin1998

Jun 28, 2007
ranjus said:
If money and material things are precious to you its better to head for USA. If you want inner peace and spiritual happiness welcome to unspoilt Canada.
What are you talking about? The US is one of the most difficult countries to live in and even harder to make a decent living. Believe me, life here is NOT what it is made out to be in the NEW YORK TIMES. Life here is HARD! There are many with post graduate degrees that are working at low wages.

And if you are a foreigner, it gets harder! Trying to get a PR visa is like trying to meet the Pope. Even if you have an H1-B work visa, most can't roll it over to PR. Why do you think there are so many illegals? They just can't get in legally!

Yes, Canada is a far better choice.

gilipsie

Star Member
Jul 11, 2007
It is sad to think that being an illegal is what has to happen since people cannot go through the legal system. I would also not want to say that Canada is better than the US but agree they both hae ups and downs. Choose what YOU want.