+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking refugee

Nathalie87

Oct 12, 2019
Hello I hope with all my heart somebody here helps me.
My husband is an illegal immigrant here in USA he was deported when he was younger for money laundering he was at a bar with 2 other friends and one of them for caught with fake money not my husband but they still took all 3 to jail. In jail my husband was advised to take responsibility and say they all were guilty and served jail time for that and for deported to his country. When he got deported he was over there for a month and came back to USA because a gang member theated him that he was going to kill him if he didn’t join them so he didn’t have any other choice than to come back being here we met and I got pregnant he got stopped and sent to jail for re-entering to USA.
Is sad to say once he was deported for the second time he re entered illegally for the birth of our child . Since then we are talking about 2012 he has been with us illegally we now have our 7 year old and a 2 year old my kids and I are US Citizens since he came back he has been our only sopport he’s a complete changed mature father he has been paying taxes since 2014, but ever since president trump our lives have been different we had plenty of racist people give my husband construction jobs and not pay him and threaten to send him to ICE we are living a nightmare we are a normal family trying to survive and give our children a good education and future I don’t feel safe in my country for my kids and my husband. I want to know if we cross Canada illegally what is our chance for a second opportunity in life we want to seek asylum in Canada??! Thank you GOD BLESS

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband is an illegal immigrant here in USA he was deported when he was younger for money laundering he was at a bar with 2 other friends and one of them for caught with fake money not my husband but they still took all 3 to jail. In jail my husband was advised to take responsibility and say they all were guilty and served jail time for that and for deported to his country. When he got deported he was over there for a month and came back to USA because a gang member theated him that he was going to kill him if he didn’t join them so he didn’t have any other choice than to come back being here we met and I got pregnant he got stopped and sent to jail for re-entering to USA.
Is sad to say once he was deported for the second time he re entered illegally for the birth of our child . Since then we are talking about 2012 he has been with us illegally we now have our 7 year old and a 2 year old my kids and I are US Citizens since he came back he has been our only sopport he’s a complete changed mature father he has been paying taxes since 2014, but ever since president trump our lives have been different we had plenty of racist people give my husband construction jobs and not pay him and threaten to send him to ICE we are living a nightmare we are a normal family trying to survive and give our children a good education and future I don’t feel safe in my country for my kids and my husband. I want to know if we cross Canada illegally what is our chance for a second opportunity in life we want to seek asylum in Canada??! Thank you GOD BLESS
You have been in the US for a long time. It could be very difficult to prove that your life is in current danger. Your husband’s criminal history may make him inadmissible to Canada. Have you ever filed for asylum in the US? If so that would also be a problem, you would get denied.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/a34wn8/this-immigrant-left-the-us-to-seek-asylum-in-canada-and-regrets-it

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The chances you and your children will be successful at a refugee claim is zero. As US citizens, it will be near impossible to prove you require asylum. As canuck78 said, your husbands criminality and lack of presence in his home country will make a claim difficult. Criminal activities in his home country do t necessarily equate to persecution. if he has ever filed for asylum in the US he isn’t eligible to apply in Canada and would be sent back to his home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Missed that the mother is also a US citizen. Unfortunately your husband’s chances of getting asylum are very low given time in US and criminality. You can apply for economic immigration if you qualify.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Refugee claims from US in 2018

Claimed: 642
accepted: 2

2017 claims
Claimed: 869
Accepted: 3

It’s a non starter for you and your kids.

The rest were either abandoned or withdrawn.

Your husband being illegal in the US isn’t grounds for a refugee claim. Poor personal and immigration choices in the past don’t make Canada an alternate option for you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As others have said, I don't think a refugee claim has any chance of succeeding. This is for a number of reasons that include the fact that you and your children are US citizens, the fact your husband has a criminal record and the fact that it's been such a long time since he has lived in his home country so proving persecution will be very difficult / impossible. I would not recommend crossing into Canada illegally and claiming asylum - all that will end up happening is that you and your children will eventually be ordered to return to the US and your husband will eventually be deported back to his home country - or possibly handed back over to the US in which case he can expect to be detailed for a number of months before being deported.

If you want to move to Canada - you should focus on applying to immigrate through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. Because your husband has a criminal record, he will need to submit an application to Canada for rehabilitation. You will also have to assess if you meet the requirements and/or have enough points to get PR through an economic immigration stream. This is really the best option. Crossing illegally and claiming refugee status in Canada will only create bigger problems than you have now.

Good luck.

Reactions: jddd and Buletruck