+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking refugee in Canada after USA deportation

Vivisekai

Apr 16, 2018
Good evening,
My boyfriend was deported yesterday from the USA after he had been locked up at the immigration county jail for about a year. His appeal was denied so he got deported. He has been in the US for over 10 yrs and has kept a clean record. His only crime is that he didn't have papers to remain in the country. My question is, can he apply to come to Canada and seek refugee? Will his deportation affect him here in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He will be denied a visa to travel to Canada as well as any temporary visa like a work permit or study visa. He can try to apply for PR via one of the economic immigration pathways or you could sponsor him if you get married. I assume you have not lived together for 1 year.

Vivisekai

Apr 16, 2018
He will be denied a visa to travel to Canada as well as any temporary visa like a work permit or study visa. He can try to apply for PR via one of the economic immigration pathways or you could sponsor him if you get married. I assume you have not lived together for 1 year.
Thank you canuck78 for responding. Yes you right we haven't lived together for 1 year. We shall see which option works out, the PR via one economic immigration pathways or marriage. Thanks once again for your quick response.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given his previous deportation I would anticipate extra scrutiny of your application to assure it is not a marriage for immigration reasons. Make sure you keep detailed records of communication, pictures, visits over time to prove your genuine relationship.

Reactions: gavendano

Vivisekai

Apr 16, 2018
Given his previous deportation I would anticipate extra scrutiny of your application to assure it is not a marriage for immigration reasons. Make sure you keep detailed records of communication, pictures, visits over time to prove your genuine relationship.
Oh yes that shouldn't be a problem. We have proof of all that, pictures, visits etc.
Thanks much canuck78.