+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Help Spouse Open Work Permit

embeek

Feb 9, 2023
I have one difficult situation here. So when my PGWP application was on going i got married, and after that my PGWP application is approved but the problem is i need to take my wife with me to Canada.

How i should do that, i looked for open work permit but i think i have 2 problem about that open work permit. First it can take a long time and the second is i think i need a job in canada to apply for my wife to the open work permit. I am not sure about that.

So i have 2 question in my mind.

1-Do i need job in canada to apply for my wife for her open work permit application (and if you have any experience about that in the past how much time it takes etc. i will be so happy if you share with me).

2-Which road we should take with my wife, should we apply visitor visa for her to go together to the canada and apply inside of the canada. Because in that time I can have a job in canada and apply open work permit while she is in canada and im hoping that it will take less time. It is very difficult situation, I dont know what should I do any help any information will be so good for both of us. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have one difficult situation here. So when my PGWP application was on going i got married, and after that my PGWP application is approved but the problem is i need to take my wife with me to Canada.

How i should do that, i looked for open work permit but i think i have 2 problem about that open work permit. First it can take a long time and the second is i think i need a job in canada to apply for my wife to the open work permit. I am not sure about that.

1-Do i need job in canada to apply for my wife for her open work permit application (and if you have any experience about that in the past how much time it takes etc. i will be so happy if you share with me).

2-Which road we should take with my wife, should we apply visitor visa for her to go together to the canada and apply inside of the canada. Because in that time I can have a job in canada and apply open work permit while she is in canada and im hoping that it will take less time. It is very difficult situation, I dont know what should I do any help any information will be so good for both of us. Thank you
1. Yes. For PGWP, you need a skilled job in TEER 0-3, employment letter and paystubs. How long it takes to get a job is up to you and your skills.
2. For a TRV, she needs to show funds (bank accounts with funds to support a visit) , travel history, ties to home country (job letter with approved leave, business, investments, properties etc.). She needs to prove she is just visiting and not moving to Canada. So she can apply.

Processing can take a long time for both TRV or SOWP depending where she lives.

embeek

Feb 9, 2023
I am currently in m
1. Yes. For PGWP, you need a skilled job in TEER 0-3, employment letter and paystubs. How long it takes to get a job is up to you and your skills.
2. For a TRV, she needs to show funds (bank accounts with funds to support a visit) , travel history, ties to home country (job letter with approved leave, business, investments, properties etc.). She needs to prove she is just visiting and not moving to Canada. So she can apply.

Processing can take a long time for both TRV or SOWP depending where she

Processing can take a long time for both TRV or SOWP depending where she lives.
I have pgwp but currently i am in my country not in canada and naturally i don't have a job. Can we apply for my wife's open work permit me without having job in canada. Because we want to go together otherwise we don't know how much she will wait

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
For her to apply for an open work permit based on your PGWP, you need a job offer in TEER 0-3. You need to include employment letter and paystubs. If you don’t have that the only option is to try for a TRV. See my notes for TRV above.

embeek

Feb 9, 2023
For her to apply for an open work permit based on your PGWP, you need a job offer in TEER 0-3. You need to include employment letter and paystubs. If you don’t have that the only option is to try for a TRV. See my notes for TRV above.
I understand thank you for helping, I have another question if my wife comes to Canada with TRV can she apply to open work permit while she is in canada? Do you have any knowledge about that?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I understand thank you for helping, I have another question if my wife comes to Canada with TRV can she apply to open work permit while she is in canada? Do you have any knowledge about that?
Yes, if you have a skilled job. The challenge is getting the TRV.

Last edited:

embeek

Feb 9, 2023
Yes, if you have a skilled job. The challenge is getting the TRV.
I read that on cic website is that right for our situation? "Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more; "or

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I read that on cic website is that right for our situation? "Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more; "or
A TRP is not a TRV. A TRP is a special visa for those who have been inadmissible to Canada. Your wife, if approved, will enter Canada with a TRV not TRP You have a PGWP so you need a skilled job with employment letters and paystubs for her to apply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would probably be better to return to Canada and get a job and start the SOWP process. Getting a TRV may be very difficult and could take months for an answer. You are wasting time seeing if she is denied or approved for the TRV. Is your wife currently employed? If not, getting a TRV will be even more difficult.

Natheer H

Sep 7, 2023

Hi

I am currently in the same situation. what did you do ,and did you manage to get the approvals for the SOWP.

Thank you,