+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking help/advice.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can travel there, and you will have an easier time to get admitted than others as you are American, though if they suspect that you may overstay and become illegal while waiting for your PR they will refuse you. Individual officers vary.

janchel said:
Yes, I will be applying for my PR in the USA, after marriage, but wanted to know..is it complicated to travel to Canada after you receive your new passport, while you are awaiting for the PR to go through? I may want to travel there for a few weeks during the wait. USA immigration said it is no problem, but I havent talked to the Canadian side as of yet. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Karlshammar said:
You can travel there, and you will have an easier time to get admitted than others as you are American, though if they suspect that you may overstay and become illegal while waiting for your PR they will refuse you. Individual officers vary.
Thanks for the response... :D

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
janchel said:
Yes, I will be applying for my PR in the USA, after marriage, but wanted to know..is it complicated to travel to Canada after you receive your new passport, while you are awaiting for the PR to go through? I may want to travel there for a few weeks during the wait. USA immigration said it is no problem, but I havent talked to the Canadian side as of yet. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
if USA immigration said it wouldn't be a problem, so it should be ok with Canada too. to make sure call Canadian border service.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Suin said:
if USA immigration said it wouldn't be a problem, so it should be ok with Canada too. to make sure call Canadian border service.
Thanks. Yes, I am planning on calling them next week. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the passport situation fixed, after marriage?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
janchel said:
Thanks. Yes, I am planning on calling them next week. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the passport situation fixed, after marriage?
I can't address the additional questions but
Realistically, US immigration/border control has no more say on entering Canada than Canada has regarding entering the US. Checking with Canadian Border Services helps, but still is not a guarantee. Entering the US to wed is acceptable, but like any visit ensure the visitor is well-equipped with proof of their life in Canada that must be returned to. I've encountered most every variation at the border, including being waived through and having my vehicle searched. it really depends on the day, and the officer. Just be prepared whether you are the Canadian going state-side or the American travelling north. I've come close but not yet been denied entry to the US, but sometimes I have a greater hassle getting back into Canada!

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
tgchi13 said:
I can't address the additional questions but
Realistically, US immigration/border control has no more say on entering Canada than Canada has regarding entering the US. Checking with Canadian Border Services helps, but still is not a guarantee. Entering the US to wed is acceptable, but like any visit ensure the visitor is well-equipped with proof of their life in Canada that must be returned to. I've encountered most every variation at the border, including being waived through and having my vehicle searched. it really depends on the day, and the officer. Just be prepared whether you are the Canadian going state-side or the American travelling north. I've come close but not yet been denied entry to the US, but sometimes I have a greater hassle getting back into Canada!
How is the border entries different than what you have to go through at the airport? Do you know? Just curious.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
janchel said:
How is the border entries different than what you have to go through at the airport? Do you know? Just curious.
Hmmm...well, in my experience (and this is PRE the recent US/Canadian Christmas issue - I drove last time) which is subject to change, the airport doesn't take as much time with each person because they have a deadline - planes have to take off and land eventually and holding one person up creates more chaos - where as at the border, if one lane is held up, vehicles choose another lane upon seeing the back up. Additionally, I think that the airport personnel feel more pressure because of this; they can hear comments and complaints. At the border crossing, the IO's are not subject to the same deluge; every other person wishing to pass is in their vehicle and, even with the windows down, they won't hear the same noise, confusion or frustration and so feel okay taking more time with each individual.

The requirements, at this time, focus on different things I think. At the land border, they seem more concerned about long term ramifications of letting you in (ie will you leave). At the airport, seem more focused on the short term ramifications of letting you board the plan. Slightly different agendas with the same purpose in mind.

Just my perception based on my experience - no yelling at me!

S

seema1979

I AM GRADUATE WITH 3YEARS DEGREE.(BACHELOR OF ARTS) PASSED IN YEAR 2000 FROM PANJAB UNIVERSITY CHANDIGARH

DID ONE YEAR COMPUTER DIPLOMA IN 2001-2002 FROM COMPUTER INSTITUTE

I AM WORKING AS COMPUTER INSTRUCTOR FROM 8 YRS.
AND I WANT TO MIGRATE TO CANADA WITH MY HUSBAND

DO I QUALIFY FOR MOVING TO CANADA?
WHICH CATEGORY DO I FALL
DO I FALL UNDER THIS CATEGORY 0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers

IF YEAS GUYS I NEED UR HELP

U CAN EMAIL ME THE SCHANDLA@YAHOO.CO.IN

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
tgchi13 said:
Hmmm...well, in my experience (and this is PRE the recent US/Canadian Christmas issue - I drove last time) which is subject to change, the airport doesn't take as much time with each person because they have a deadline - planes have to take off and land eventually and holding one person up creates more chaos - where as at the border, if one lane is held up, vehicles choose another lane upon seeing the back up. Additionally, I think that the airport personnel feel more pressure because of this; they can hear comments and complaints. At the border crossing, the IO's are not subject to the same deluge; every other person wishing to pass is in their vehicle and, even with the windows down, they won't hear the same noise, confusion or frustration and so feel okay taking more time with each individual.

The requirements, at this time, focus on different things I think. At the land border, they seem more concerned about long term ramifications of letting you in (ie will you leave). At the airport, seem more focused on the short term ramifications of letting you board the plan. Slightly different agendas with the same purpose in mind.

Just my perception based on my experience - no yelling at me!
Thanks! BTW, what is the "US/Candadian" Christmas issue?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
janchel said:
Thanks! BTW, what is the "US/Candadian" Christmas issue?
Surely you jest? The guy with the fireworks down his pants on the plane....wasn't just the US/Cdn borders in a flurry over that though, but those are the ones that pertain to this question.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
tgchi13 said:
Surely you jest? The guy with the fireworks down his pants on the plane....wasn't just the US/Cdn borders in a flurry over that though, but those are the ones that pertain to this question.
Oh Yes, just did not make the connection.... ;D

spartacus2

Jul 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Not yet
IELTS Request
Great thread!