+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Guidance for Study Permit Application inside Canada: Short Courses, Visitor Visa Conversion

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
I am currently in Canada and I'm looking to apply for a study permit.
I've obtained the offer letter for a one-year diploma from a college. I'm in need of assistance, and I'd greatly appreciate your guidance on the following:

1) I'm seeking clarification on which short courses or prerequisites are accepted by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada).
2) Are there any individuals who have gone through the process of converting a visitor visa to a study permit while in Canada? I would greatly benefit from their insights.
3) My one-year diploma program commences in March 2024. What short courses would be advisable for me to undertake for an application within Canada? 4) I have already completed the PTE (Pearson Test of English) for a language proficiency program. Is this pathway still applicable for a study permit application within Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently in Canada and I'm looking to apply for a study permit.
I've obtained the offer letter for a one-year diploma from a college. I'm in need of assistance, and I'd greatly appreciate your guidance on the following:

1) I'm seeking clarification on which short courses or prerequisites are accepted by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada).
2) Are there any individuals who have gone through the process of converting a visitor visa to a study permit while in Canada? I would greatly benefit from their insights.
3) My one-year diploma program commences in March 2024. What short courses would be advisable for me to undertake for an application within Canada? 4) I have already completed the PTE (Pearson Test of English) for a language proficiency program. Is this pathway still applicable for a study permit application within Canada?
1. Accepted for what? You have a LOA.
2. You cannot convert permits. You are applying for a study permit. Being inside Canada weakens your chances. You must show funds, ties to home country, education progression and show that program builds on your current job/career to justify costs. You want to show that you will be promoted and make more money following the course.
3. Still don’t understand. You apply and if approved start program in March.
4. Language tests are not required. PTE Academic would be the one you want.

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
1. I already received the letter of acceptance from the college, the program starts in March 2024
2. I wanted to convert my visitor visa to a study permit, is it possible? If yes, I do have funds to show as a bank statement, ties to my home country, own property in the home country, the entire family living in Kuwait, France, and Australia but land owned by me in Pakistan, the selected course is also relevant to my experience or career
3. LOA approved, but I wanted to apply for a study permit in Canada
4. Language as PTE - OK

What I noticed, from IRCC or different platforms (a person should complete a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI), anyone you know who complete short course thn applied for the study permit for the main course?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. I already received the letter of acceptance from the college, the program starts in March 2024
2. I wanted to convert my visitor visa to a study permit, is it possible? If yes, I do have funds to show as a bank statement, ties to my home country, own property in the home country, the entire family living in Kuwait, France, and Australia but land owned by me in Pakistan, the selected course is also relevant to my experience or career
3. LOA approved, but I wanted to apply for a study permit in Canada
4. Language as PTE - OK

What I noticed, from IRCC or different platforms (a person should complete a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI), anyone you know who complete short course thn applied for the study permit for the main course?
1. Ok. Hopefully it is a public DLI, not private
2. You cannot convert a permit. Read my post above. Family ties are your spouse and children. If you are in Canada on TRV, how do you have ties to home country, and showing career expansion with your job. Are you working now? How long have you been in Canada? If you are going to be in Canada during processing, you want to show funds to live for the next 5-6 months as well as paid tuition and living expenses.
3. So apply for study permit and it is processed from Pakistan. Pay first year tuition. It is not processed from Canada.

A short term course is less than 6 months. Applying from within Canada does weaken your chances unless your spouse and child are outside Canada, and how are you working right now if in Canada to show career progression. How can you be away from your property for so long?

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Thank you for your valuable reply,
I arrived in Canada last week.
1) It is DLI, a private Robertson college that partners with Assiniboine Community College and all credentials and transcripts will also be issued by Assiniboine Community College. https://www.robertsoncollege.com/international-students/assiniboine-robertson-partnership/
2) Right now, I don't have a job... 7 months ago, I stayed in the USA for my child's birth so he is a US citizen now. I do have Kuwait residency as my parents live in Kuwait. Note: I do have strong funds, I am transferring money to the Canadian bank account to show the funds...
3) Yes, planning to pay for one year fees which is around 23,000 CAD, and planning to show the fund in the bank account 30,000 CAD

Note: Problem, I don't know, if i apply directly for study permit or first go with short course for three months?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1) It is DLI, a private Robertson college that partners with Assiniboine Community College and all credentials and transcripts will also be issued by Assiniboine Community College. https://www.robertsoncollege.com/international-students/assiniboine-robertson-partnership/
2) Right now, I don't have a job... 7 months ago, I stayed in the USA for my child's birth so he is a US citizen now. I do have Kuwait residency as my parents live in Kuwait. Note: I do have strong funds, I am transferring money to the Canadian bank account to show the funds...
3) Yes, planning to pay for one year fees which is around 23,000 CAD, and planning to show the fund in the bank account 30,000 CAD

Note: Problem, I don't know, if i apply directly for study permit or first go with short course for three months?
1. You have a higher change of rejection with private DLI even partnered with ACC. IRCC is going to be cracking down on these partnerships in the new year. Better to attend ACC. If you have a degree then apply for a post grad program in public DLI or do a masters.
2. So if you don’t have a job then how are you showing career progression attending a private DLI that is considered a college mill for only international students. Parents are not a tie. Having Kuwait residency weakens your ties to return to Pakistan so show career ties to Pakistan. Having residency is of concern to IRCC that you will not leave Canada.
3. Okay

Apply for a study permit now because you may not get a response in time.

Last edited:

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
noted,
I will apply asap...
btw, my last 15 years of experience from out of Pakistan so there is no other option to show the tie in Pakistan rather than property.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
noted,
I will apply asap...
btw, my last 15 years of experience from out of Pakistan so there is no other option to show the tie in Pakistan rather than property.
So if refused, IRCC may say that it is because you have no ties to return. You show the career opportunities in Pakistan. Given you have been unemployed for many months doesn’t help your profile but you need to show job opportunities in the field and show how much more you will make by taking the program.

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
noted, dear...btw, i traveled two times to Canada in the past in ten years and traveled back on time.
also holding Canada and USA visitor visas for the last 15 years.
not sure, if it could impact my case.
just sharing for your info...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
noted, dear...btw, i traveled two times to Canada in the past in ten years and traveled back on time.
also holding Canada and USA visitor visas for the last 15 years.
not sure, if it could impact my case.
just sharing for your info...
Travel to Canada and the US doesn’t have to anything to with approval of a study permit. Being in Canada during the process weakens your application because it shows you are not living or working in home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Unless your spouse has some sort of US status and is not a visitor the fact that you had a child in the US is likely to hurt your application. Where is your spouse and child right now? If they are not with you In Canada that also raises red flags about whether you are a genuine student or just applying to try to immigrate. How old are you? It wouldn’t make sense for a married man with at least one child to stop working and return to school unless it was an advanced degree to further their education like a masters or PhD for example.