+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking asylum from Saudi Arabia

ali17

Aug 29, 2017
Hi,

I'm 24 old man from Saudi Arabia and i have been arrested with my 2 brothers one day because we talked in a coffee shop about the government , we said that we have a different opinions from the one that the government have ! they kept us on hold in jail for days without even a phone call or a lawyer !! and they abused us while we were there, luckily my father has some connections and he used it to get us out temporary, and now we are thinking of going to Canada and ask for asylum fearing that they will arrest us once again,

so what do you guys think ? are we eligible for asylum in Canada in this case ?

thank you in advance ,,

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

I'm 24 old man from Saudi Arabia and i have been arrested with my 2 brothers one day because we talked in a coffee shop about the government , we said that we have a different opinions from the one that the government have ! they kept us on hold in jail for days without even a phone call or a lawyer !! and they abused us while we were there, luckily my father has some connections and he used it to get us out temporary, and now we are thinking of going to Canada and ask for asylum fearing that they will arrest us once again,

thank you in advance ,,
Before you can even think about claiming asylum in Canada, you would first need to get a TRV (visitor visa) approved to travel here. Only once TRV is approved and you arrived in Canada, could you then claim asylum.

However based on what you've stated, an asylum claim would have practically zero chance of succeeding.

ali17

Aug 29, 2017
Before you can even think about claiming asylum in Canada, you would first need to get a TRV (visitor visa) approved to travel here. Only once TRV is approved and you arrived in Canada, could you then claim asylum.

However based on what you've stated, an asylum claim would have practically zero chance of succeeding.
why you think its zero chance if my life is in danger and i may be in prison for life just because of my opinion ??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
why you think its zero chance if my life is in danger and i may be in prison for life just because of my opinion ??
Just my guess based on the burden of proof on others trying to claim asylum. Going to jail and released after a few days, in itself is probably not enough to be considered a true refugee. Of course every case is unique.

As I said though, you first need to worry about getting a TRV to Canada before you can even think of claiming asylum here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First step is to obtain an approved TRV (tourist visa) to Canada. To be approved, you will need to demonstrate you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining long term. Once you arrive in Canada, you can claim asylum. To be successful, you will need to have proof that you are being persecuted for your views (e.g. arrest records, hospitalization records showing your injuries, proof that you have been speaking out against your government, etc.)

If you cannot obtain a TRV, you would need to move to a different country and once there, be formally identified as a refugee by UNHCR and then selected for resettlement in Canada.

ali17

Aug 29, 2017
First step is to obtain an approved TRV (tourist visa) to Canada. To be approved, you will need to demonstrate you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining long term. Once you arrive in Canada, you can claim asylum. To be successful, you will need to have proof that you are being persecuted for your views (e.g. arrest records, hospitalization records showing your injuries, proof that you have been speaking out against your government, etc.)

If you cannot obtain a TRV, you would need to move to a different country and once there, be formally identified as a refugee by UNHCR and then selected for resettlement in Canada.
I already got TRV ! and i have a proof that i was in jail for speaking out against the government ( arrest records ) from the police station stating that we were there just because we spoke against the government, and of course for them its a big crime ! because there is no human right at all as you know

ali17

Aug 29, 2017
Just my guess based on the burden of proof on others trying to claim asylum. Going to jail and released after a few days, in itself is probably not enough to be considered a true refugee. Of course every case is unique.

As I said though, you first need to worry about getting a TRV to Canada before you can even think of claiming asylum here.
i already have TRV, and i have an arrest record that i was arrested just for saying something against the government !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately one arrest may not be enough if you don't have any other proof that you have been opposing the government. You need more proof of your opposition activities.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i already have TRV, and i have an arrest record that i was arrested just for saying something against the government !
I agree that a single arrest record isn't remotely enough to launch a successful refugee application in Canada. If you suffered physical abuse while in custody, you'll need to provide evidence of that (do you have photos? hospitalization or doctor's records?). Also, you'll want to show proof of the statements you've made against the government. Have you published any articles against the government or do you post regularly online or are there newspaper articles about you or are you an active member of an anti-government organization?

asylum_seeker

Dec 13, 2017
Hi,

thank you in advance ,,
You have to show an established pattern of political opposition and activism in this regard, and be able to demonstrate future risk of persecution on this ground.

The bad news.. people usually get barred from having traveling privileges by your government if they were suspected of political opposition without necessarily arresting them, so you will have to explain how you were able to travel out of Saudi.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Have to agree with everyone else. The chances of a successful claim are pretty limited based on a one time encounter with the police over political beliefs.

asylum_seeker

Dec 13, 2017
You have to show an established pattern of political opposition and activism in this regard, and be able to demonstrate future risk of persecution on this ground.

The bad news.. people usually get barred from having traveling privileges by your government if they were suspected of political opposition without necessarily arresting them, so you will have to explain how you were able to travel out of Saudi.
I am retracting my previous reply above. It has been clear to me the Saudi gov't is now rearresting prior political offenders who were conditionally released and putting them through trial, but they seem to be prioritizing cases. There are documented cases such as people who formed student groups and the case of Mohammed Saleh Al-Otaibi (detained while attempting to flee to Norway).
From reading your case, I assume you would be a low priority however in light of these developments you may have a case to go forward with asylum if you have fear your case would be reopened and face going to trial.